So... Fireline

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

So... Fireline

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 pm

From what I've read over the years it seems you either love it or hate it. Well, I caught a bush when casting my sv105 and blew up a spool of 10# Invizx and since I'm out I thought I'd spool up with the 10# fireline original I had sitting around. I originally bought it for use on an UL spinning reel, quickly discovered that wouldn't work out, and forgot about it. My sv105 is pretty wild and I think the fluorocarbon I've only ever used on it is just not compatible. This fireline seems like a better fit just casting and pitching around in the yard. Time will tell. One thing I noticed is that it actually seems to have a fair amount of slack line sensitivity, which, when coupled with the extra hook setting power it will offer, is very exciting.

Is there anything about it I should know? I plan on using a 10# invizx leader all the time.

This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: So... Fireline

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:51 pm

SV105 wild? I can't stand Fireline. Not the original stuff anyways. I've never had a line dig into itself like this stuff. And when it digs, it DIGS. I use to run 10-20 lb various braids all the time. Never ever had a problem. Fireline always managed to kink up... Imagine using an extremely thin audio cable for fishing line.
Anywho, I'm all about the Fluoro now. Tell us more about this wild Alphas SV. Is there something wrong with the inductor?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:18 am

No, it's just always been wild. The spool in mine is super fast, tuned more for bombing football jigs than skipping senkos. All I've ever used is 10# Invizx on it, and while that line isn't exactly what I'd call unruly, I'm thinking braid would be more forgiving on it. I don't know about this stuff since it's pretty stiff, too. I did pull against the drag and was actually surprised at how little it seemed to dig in, especially since I'll be using much less drag than that in the real world. I did that and lobbed a few easy 25' casts in the back yard and that's it. The 7up, 3dn Albright I used to tie to the backing and leader seemed pretty straightforward and strong. I've heard terminal knots are prone to slipping, but I won't be tying direct all that often I don't think. I do fish around a lot of vegetation, so I'm sure I'll at least take a stab at it. If it doesn't work out I can always go get some more 15# j-braid or try some pp 8 v2.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:18 am
No, it's just always been wild. The spool in mine is super fast, tuned more for bombing football jigs than skipping senkos. All I've ever used is 10# Invizx on it, and while that line isn't exactly what I'd call unruly, I'm thinking braid would be more forgiving on it. I don't know about this stuff since it's pretty stiff, too. I did pull against the drag and was actually surprised at how little it seemed to dig in, especially since I'll be using much less drag than that in the real world. I did that and lobbed a few easy 25' casts in the back yard and that's it. The 7up, 3dn Albright I used to tie to the backing and leader seemed pretty straightforward and strong. I've heard terminal knots are prone to slipping, but I won't be tying direct all that often I don't think. I do fish around a lot of vegetation, so I'm sure I'll at least take a stab at it. If it doesn't work out I can always go get some more 15# j-braid or try some pp 8 v2.
It's likely been reformulated since I fished it back in the early 2000's

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 am

Maybe once whatever they coated it with wears off it digs in more. It seems only slightly thinner than 10# fluoro. Maybe around 7 or 8#.
This is the way.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Save that fireline for a spinning reel if it doesn't work out, it works great on them! Just a thought :D

Kurt

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:02 pm
Save that fireline for a spinning reel if it doesn't work out, it works great on them! Just a thought :D

Kurt
I do own one spinning reel that it would work nicely on. I only use it when I travel, but with the rod I use it on, casting 8# fluoro doesn't exactly wow me. Thanks for the tip.
This is the way.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Just found two bnib spools of 1.3kg grey Fireline Exceed... That stuff was / still is excellent on 1000 size spinning reels.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:07 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 am

The spool I have says Fireline Fused Original. I got it on the clearance rack at Wally world around '12 or '13.
This is the way.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:25 am

The line will ribbon out after some use or it will ribbon out if a lot of pull pressure in applied. Other than that It's very hard to feather thumb the spool with that stuff. I can't tell.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 am

I'm using 10lb Fireline on my Aldabaran XG BFS Limited and a Major Craft Volkey 692 L casting rod. I throw Jackall Super Eruption spinnerbaits and Dera Break "Chatters" with it. I've taken fish to 8lbs on the set up. I've never had any issues with the Fireline.....old or new formulation. The old stuff cotton balled up a little but I never had it break. The newer slicker version looks promising too.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm

earthworm77 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 am
I'm using 10lb Fireline on my Aldabaran XG BFS Limited and a Major Craft Volkey 692 L casting rod. I throw Jackall Super Eruption spinnerbaits and Dera Break "Chatters" with it. I've taken fish to 8lbs on the set up. I've never had any issues with the Fireline.....old or new formulation. The old stuff cotton balled up a little but I never had it break. The newer slicker version looks promising too.
Hate the line, LOVE the Derabreak!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm
earthworm77 wrote:
The Jackall Dera are nice (own about 12), but i still prefer the Fish Arrow chatter for light setup. I know this is off topic, but i would recommend Jackall DeraCoup tail spinners a try. They are killer working on the ledges and rivers. I have been using them since 2014 and notice that TW finally carry them now.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jackall ... -JDTS.html

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Pen3 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:36 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm
earthworm77 wrote:
The Jackall Dera are nice (own about 12), but i still prefer the Fish Arrow chatter for light setup. I know this is off topic, but i would recommend Jackall DeraCoup tail spinners a try. They are killer working on the ledges and rivers. I have been using them since 2014 and notice that TW finally carry them now.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jackall ... -JDTS.html
Have some of those too. I'm a Jackall nut