Braided line bad for your rods and reels?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Welikan
Angler
Angler

Braided line bad for your rods and reels?

Post by Welikan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:52 pm

So I use braid to leader for almost everything. I know there are advantages and disadvantages to using straight braid, braid to leader, straight mono ,or strsight fluoro. Someone told me that using braid/braid to leader will damage my guides and reels. He then began to say that a lot of Americans use braid/braid to leader cause the American rods and reels are built stronger so it can handle them. Even a us version zillion compared to the jdm zillion is stronger. So his point to this was saying that jdm gear rods and reels are not built for braided line and are weaker but are more sensitive that's why a lot of Japanese bass anglers use straight fluoro. For the reels he said the braid can damage the spool I guess. The noise from the leader knot I understand but it causing damage....I don't know. I use all jdm reels and jdm megabass rods btw and haven't seen an issue that I'm aware of.

So is any of this true?
I heard about older rods having issues with braided line.

Are my guidea/guide rings in any danger?

Are my reels in any danger?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braided line bad for your rods and reels?

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:47 pm

You'll be fine.

That business about the Zillion rods being different has to be wrong. The only difference at all is the -K at the end of the model number and I'm sure that's just for warranty purposes.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Braid can indeed damage your gear, IF you mishandle it. It's usually user error. JDM and USDM rods are different from a taper and power perspective, but not really anything else. Higher modules carbon fiber will always be more susceptible to damage, but again, the damage is generally user error. Being there only so many carbon fiber prepeg manufacturers, most rod building companies are using the same stuff - just different grades. The main difference is in how they utilize the material in the manufacturing process, such as how they cut and apply it. Resin materials vary more so than the actual prepeg. A lot of companies are making there own concoctions, and also using different scrim materials. How all of this is pieced together is what determines the weight, strength, and taper of the rod blank. It's not an accurate assessment to determine that all JDM rod blanks are more sensitive and fragile. Guide inserts are made to handle braided lines, though I wouldn't choose a guide insert made with a softer material than alconites. Anything above that is fine as well. With lesser quality insert material, the friction caused from the braid can cause grooving. Rod breakage and damaged guides are typically a result of freeing a snag in an overly aggressive manner, because braid has no stretch. So in short, I'd say that guy is full of s**t.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:16 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:11 pm
So in short, I'd say that guy is full of s**t.
This.

I run braid on every rod I own from doryns, gloomis, megabass, st-croix and kistler, even my ice fishing reels/rods have
braid and I have never seen a groove, it also has not caused any problems with any of my reels.

Just make sure your drag is set correctly and you will be good.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I run straight braid on everything (and leaders sometimes, as well), even on an inexpensive Fuego CT. I have never had issues with damaged guides from leader knots, nor any damage to any reel I've ever used in the past 10 yrs. If you've been around here long, you will know that my above statement accounts for a HUUUGGGE number of rods and reels! :lol: That being said, I have seen a cheap rod that had a ring pop out in the past, and the owner attributed that damage to a fat leader knot, such as a uni-to-uni knot, when used with heavy lines. To be specific, those damaged guides were micros, and he says he never had that issue with rods equipped with standard-size guides.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

I’ve been having a few issues with Torzite inserts popping out. Never happened in the past with Alconite or SIC with same leader knot, all Fuji guides. A little superglue and good to go, but still annoying. Only problem I’ve had with any of my equipment using braid.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Braid can indeed damage your gear, IF you mishandle it. It's usually user error. JDM and USDM rods are different from a taper and power perspective, but not really anything else. Higher modules carbon fiber will always be more susceptible to damage, but again, the damage is generally user error. Being there only so many carbon fiber prepeg manufacturers, most rod building companies are using the same stuff - just different grades. The main difference is in how they utilize the material in the manufacturing process, such as how they cut and apply it. Resin materials vary more so than the actual prepeg. A lot of companies are making there own concoctions, and also using different scrim materials. How all of this is pieced together is what determines the weight, strength, and taper of the rod blank. It's not an accurate assessment to determine that all JDM rod blanks are more sensitive and fragile. Guide inserts are made to handle braided lines, though I wouldn't choose a guide insert made with a softer material than alconites. Anything above that is fine as well. With lesser quality insert material, the friction caused from the braid can cause grooving. Rod breakage and damaged guides are typically a result of freeing a snag in an overly aggressive manner, because braid has no stretch. So in short, I'd say that guy is full of s**t.
What if you use 65lb braid with a 20lb leader knot on a rod rated max 30 lb line?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:18 pm

If a rod is rated for 30lb line, it is stout enough for a braid/leader setup. I do it all the time with med. heavy rods that aren't rated for braid, and they work just fine.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for everyone's reply. I figured it was nothing to worry about....but now I know for sure.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:29 pm

Welikan wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
What if you use 65lb braid with a 20lb leader knot on a rod rated max 30 lb line?
As stated above, it's really about how you use your drag, free snags, etc. Obviously if you lock down your drag and wrench on a snag with a no stretch line, bad things can happen. It can potentially damage fragile spools as well.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:25 pm

When that green spray of a mess comes off...and dye's the cork...yes it's pretty bad for your rod and reels. :mrgreen:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:41 am

Some messy knots when cast in an over spirited manner can dislodge guide inserts...

And braid... Let's not forget the much loved Tatula T Wing grooving issue...

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm running braid on a ice fishing ugly stick LOL, not sure what kind of guides are used but they are defiantly not that great.
But no issue so far.

Its the rod I let friends and family use, no way are they using my TUCR or my St-Croix Custom ice rods.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:37 am

Anything can be bad for your rods and reel if improperly used. But to blame braid per se?
It's about time this so-called issue is officially classified as an urban legend and laid to rest.
Never moon a werewolf!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:41 am

I've never had issues with braid, when used appropriately.

But I can remember when braid was getting more popular, and people were using them on their GLXs... :crying:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.