Sunline Defier Armilo for cranking?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sunline Defier Armilo for cranking?

Post by Somerdink » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Has anyone tried this line for deep cranking? Wanna try some mono instead of Flouro. Advantages disadvantages or should i just stick to fc instead.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sunline Defier Armilo for cranking?

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 am

I've thrown squarebills with the 11 and 13lb. I like it a lot for roll casting to close targets. I went on a shallow water terror this fall throwing small spinnerbaits, cranks, and topwater at the super shallow small shad chasers in the brush. I had one day where I probably made 1500 casts without any kind of substantial overrun. This is nowhere near the estimated 2500 casts a day that I saw a writer estimate for KVD :D , but I sure got in a rhythm. It must have been the SV103 making it such easy work :lol: . It is good for long distance topwater also because of the decreased stretch. It has less stretch than most nylons. It seems to fish somewhere close to Sniper in terms of stretch, but the new sunlineamerica.com site isn't working very well to show comparison. The old site had charts that show all of their lines properties. I've never fished it for deep cranking. I did try the 25lb. for slow rolling 8" Hudds, but it isn't a very economical line compared to nylons like Supernatural that are fine in the 20lb+ sizes.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 am

Armilo is good for the money, but the green Defier is the cat's meow! I have used it for cranking, and topwater for years without any issue. Granted it is expensive for mono, but well worth it IMHO. I heard rumor early last year that they were going to stop importing the green Defier so I bought up a dozen or so spools, I keep my extra line in a closet inside my house so there are no temp or sun issues and I can trust it will last until ready to be spooled.

As for deep cranking, I have used the 17lbs on a DD and was still able to feel bottom to about 20'.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am

Winstondry wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 am
Armilo is good for the money, but the green Defier is the cat's meow! I have used it for cranking, and topwater for years without any issue. Granted it is expensive for mono, but well worth it IMHO. I heard rumor early last year that they were going to stop importing the green Defier so I bought up a dozen or so spools, I keep my extra line in a closet inside my house so there are no temp or sun issues and I can trust it will last until ready to be spooled.

As for deep cranking, I have used the 17lbs on a DD and was still able to feel bottom to about 20'.
Yes, shooter defier is the cat's meow?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am

I use Armilo for topwaters, regular Defier for cranks

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed May 13, 2020 12:49 pm

For deep cranking, I'd stick with fluoro... Defier Armilo doesn't have much stretch to it and behaves more like a fluoro except it has a tendency to float, so it's not going to allow you to get as deep as you can with a fluoro. Instead, I'd try something like Sunline's Crank FC that has a bit more stretch to it if that's the reason behind your desire to try a mono.

Otherwise, if the stretch isn't important to you, stick with the fluoro you've been using. Defier Armilo is good stuff, just not in the application you have in mind: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewsunlinearmilo.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"