Braid that holds it's color

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braid that holds it's color

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Which braid have you used that holds it's color the longest ? Thanks in advanced.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid that holds it's color

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:05 pm

FX2

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Berkley Black Velvet

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:40 pm

Picked up some FX2 60# in dark green today. Gonna string up my flipping stick. I love the j-braid x4 although it fades pretty quick. But , I noticed this afternoon when it gets wet , it kinda gets dark again. Probably doesn't make a slight bit of difference, it's a reaction bite. Just worrying about nothing , lol..

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pm

The only one that I have used that actually keeps its color "and I have use a lot of braids" is vicious no-fade braid.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:51 pm

FX2 and Maxcuatro are both very good. My favorite braid for 50lb+

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pm
The only one that I have used that actually keeps its color "and I have use a lot of braids" is vicious no-fade braid.
You cannot have used the Black Velvet then... I have three different diameters and all are pitch black as on the day of purchase.
Slightly thick and and a little ropey though...

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 am
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 pm
You cannot have used the Black Velvet then... I have three different diameters and all are pitch black as on the day of purchase.
Slightly thick and and a little ropey though...
I did a search last night , it looks like they only sell that in the UK and Russia.The only braid berkley is selling in the states now is X5 and X9.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:54 am

^ hmmm. Ok. I got mine from Germany...

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:05 am

Are there any high viz. braids that are particularly long lasting? I only grudgingly use braid on my spinning reels and without the ability to easily line watch I can’t stand the stuff.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:33 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:05 am
Are there any high viz. braids that are particularly long lasting? I only grudgingly use braid on my spinning reels and without the ability to easily line watch I can’t stand the stuff.
Spiderwire invisibraid , it's white , never changes color. It's my fav for spinning reels , I use it with about 2' or 3' of leader.

edwelch1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by edwelch1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:05 am
I'd suggest something like Berkley FireLine Fused Tracer if you're looking for visibility. The alternating segments of black and hi-viz provide contrast that will make the line much easier to watch in pretty much any lighting condition, even when the colors do start to fade.

Personally I use YGK Admix PE Slow Sinking Braid, purchased from Japan Tackle, as it has a similar Blue/Hi-viz alternating color scheme, and that contrast really helped being able to pick up and watch the line in pretty much any lighting conditions. I haven't used the Berkley Tracer, but I'm recommending that because it's more readily available and has the same visibility benefits. I also like that this Admix PE is "slow sinking", as it seems to help the line lay down better and not be as wispy in the wind; doesn't really sink all that much like fluorocarbon does, more-so neutrally buoyant. It's spendy, but I would recommend it based on the year of use I have on it already, I actually went back and bought 2 more spools for the future because I like it so much.
www.blindjumperoutdoors.com

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:18 am

johnD wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:33 am
Spiderwire invisibraid , it's white , never changes color. It's my fav for spinning reels , I use it with about 2' or 3' of leader.
I tried a white braid a few years ago And some of the tannic ponds that I fish turned it brown almost instantly. I think I used one of the Suffix lines. Do you have any idea how the Spiderwire reacts in Tanic water?
edwelch1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am
Personally I use YGK Admix PE Slow Sinking Braid, purchased from Japan Tackle, as it has a similar Blue/Hi-viz alternating color scheme, and that contrast really helped being able to pick up and watch the line in pretty much any lighting conditions.
You know, it never occurred to me to try multicolor braid, but that’s not a bad idea. I’ve also never messed with any of the more modern/exotic braids, maybe it’s time to branch out a little bit.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am

johnD wrote:
I tried a white braid a few years ago And some of the tannic ponds that I fish turned it brown almost instantly. I think I used one of the Suffix lines. Do you have any idea how the Spiderwire reacts in Tanic water?
edwelch1 wrote:
Personally I use YGK Admix PE Slow Sinking Braid, purchased from Japan Tackle, as it has a similar Blue/Hi-viz alternating color scheme, and that contrast really helped being able to pick up and watch the line in pretty much any lighting conditions.
You know, it never occurred to me to try multicolor braid, but that’s not a bad idea. I’ve also never messed with any of the more modern/exotic braids, maybe it’s time to branch out a little bit.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:20 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am
johnD wrote:
edwelch1 wrote:
Tanic water might add a slight tanish color but , it's still bright enough to see easily.