Uses for Copoly?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Uses for Copoly?

Post by jlang95 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am

What setups are you guys using Copoly for? I've never used it for anything and I see a lot of you mentioning line like CXX.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am

jlang95 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am
What setups are you guys using Copoly for? I've never used it for anything and I see a lot of you mentioning line like CXX.
I use it for anything bottom contact, because I HATE flouro. Too many unexplained breakouts, even with lines like super hard upgrade and tatsu.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 am
jlang95 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am
I use it for anything bottom contact, because I HATE flouro. Too many unexplained breakouts, even with lines like super hard upgrade and tatsu.
So you would use Copoly for jigs? What do you use for Trigs hoohoorjoo? I've always just used straight braid for everything because that's how I was taught but I'm starting to expand my horizons lol.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:47 pm

I use straight braid for most things myself, as well. But on sandy or rocky bottoms, braid doesn't hold up very well. In those instances, I like p-line cxx and sufix siege, at least 17# test, and most times 20#.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:07 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:47 pm
I use straight braid for most things myself, as well. But on sandy or rocky bottoms, braid doesn't hold up very well. In those instances, I like p-line cxx and sufix siege, at least 17# test, and most times 20#.
What do you use for lipless cranks and square bills?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm

I use both mono and braid for squarebills and lipless cranks. It depends on the situation-braid around wood cover, mono around rocks. If the drag is set correctly, braid works better for lipless baits imo, especially out in deeper water. Braid also helps when ripping a bait free from grass to draw those reaction bites.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm
I use both mono and braid for squarebills and lipless cranks. It depends on the situation-braid around wood cover, mono around rocks. If the drag is set correctly, braid works better for lipless baits imo, especially out in deeper water. Braid also helps when ripping a bait free from grass to draw those reaction bites.
You dont have a lot of issues running straight braid and it tangling in the hooks?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Not much hook fouling, just every so often. I have learned how to cast and let a lure splash down without tangling most times. It's a worthy tradeoff imo. With braid, I can get most lures back by straightening the hooks if I snag them in timber, which I fish a lot of.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:57 pm

jlang95 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm
You dont have a lot of issues running straight braid and it tangling in the hooks?
If you feather the spool just before touchdown, the lure will orient itself and eliminate almost all tangles. After that, dont over work the lipless crank. Good quality ones are well balanced and shouldn't tangle, but poor quality ones can be overworked resulting in tangles.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am

I use copoly for topwater and squarebills. Braid for chatterbaits. For everything else, I use flouro.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am
I use copoly for topwater and squarebills. Braid for chatterbaits. For everything else, I use flouro.
Any particular reason?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:09 am

I'm not a huge fan of fluorocarbon. I use copolymer for deep cranking , topwater and worm/jig.
Gamma Polyflex is a good one , so is McCoys.
I have a stockpile of Silver Thread AN40 and Silver Thread Super.
Pradco just recently discontinued Silver Thread , so I stocked up from a local tackle shop.
Last edited by johnD on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:38 am

jlang95 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 pm
njbasscat wrote:
Any particular reason?
I'm a big fan of fluorocarbon but its not the best choice for every application. For topwater poppers and walkers, I want a floating line with some stretch to help keep the fish hooked. Copoly or mono works well. For squarebills, I like a heavier line with some stretch and use 16lb copoly. I fish chatterbaits in heavy grass and want a strong line that cuts through the grass and can muscle the fish out of grass. 40 lb braid gets this done. Just make sure your rod has some tip. For everything else, fluorocarbon works well, for me at least.

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 am

njbasscat wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:38 am
jlang95 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 pm
njbasscat wrote:
Any particular reason?
I'm a big fan of fluorocarbon but its not the best choice for every application. For topwater poppers and walkers, I want a floating line with some stretch to help keep the fish hooked. Copoly or mono works well. For squarebills, I like a heavier line with some stretch and use 16lb copoly. I fish chatterbaits in heavy grass and want a strong line that cuts through the grass and can muscle the fish out of grass. 40 lb braid gets this done. Just make sure your rod has some tip. For everything else, fluorocarbon works well, for me at least.
You dont have issues with breakage? Everything I hear about fluorocarbon, guys are always saying the have a lot of break offs. How's the sensitivity with fluoro compared to braid?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 am

No issues with breakage. Be careful tying your knots and you will be ok. If you get a bad backlash, that could cause issues because heat caused by friction can create weak spots in the line. One you get used to casting with it, you shouldn't have any issues. The sensitivity depends on the line. Easy casting soft fluorocarbon is less sensitive than hard fluorocarbon. Hard fluorocarbon will also be more abrasion resistant. Fluorocarbon sensitivity is great for slack line presentations. I've been using it for years and the stuff today is vastly superior than what we had 10 or 12 years ago.