How long does braid last

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

How long does braid last

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:05 am

I have several reels with the original Stren Sonic braid on them, the braid that first said it stayed round. It must be close to 15 years old, and it's on spinnerbait setups that get fished a lot. It is 50 lb test.
I use a short 20 lb fluoro lead, and retie often, so I replace and retie the leader often, too.
The other day, I made a cast, and thought my rod had broken, because all of a sudden, mid-cast, it completely unloaded.
When I looked at it, the braid had broken just above the bottom guide.
Given that the braid is that old, could it just be worn out? It looks faded, but it isn't fuzzy. It is soft, and casts like a dream.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How long does braid last

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am

Sounds worn out to me. I use thinner braid than most, 30lb for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits & 1/2 oz jigs on heavy rods, and I replace it or at least reverse it annually on combos that see frequent use. For lighter combos I typically use 10 - 20lb braid. 50lb is reserved for swimbaits up to 2.5 oz. Always with fluoro or CXX leaders. I can get away with lighter braid because 95% of my fishing is in open water, casting from shore. If I were using heavier braid such as you are I would leave it on 3 or 4 years at the most.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:01 pm

I end us losing a decent amount of my line to a snag most of the time, so for me I prolly swap line after a year at the most.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:47 pm

wilddog66 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:34 am
Sounds worn out to me. I use thinner braid than most, 30lb for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits & 1/2 oz jigs on heavy rods, and I replace it or at least reverse it annually on combos that see frequent use. For lighter combos I typically use 10 - 20lb braid. 50lb is reserved for swimbaits up to 2.5 oz. Always with fluoro or CXX leaders. I can get away with lighter braid because 95% of my fishing is in open water, casting from shore. If I were using heavier braid such as you are I would leave it on 3 or 4 years at the most.
Thanks for the idea.
Since I'm not fishing, I think I will reverse that braid and see if it is better.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:51 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:01 pm
I end us losing a decent amount of my line to a snag most of the time, so for me I prolly swap line after a year at the most.
Since I began using a short 20 lb fluoro leader, I don't lose braid. Just whatever I lose when I retie my leader. If I get hung up and can't get it back, I tie my line off to a cleat, and use the TM to pull until either the bait comes free, or the connection knot, a double Albright, breaks. I can't break it with just my hands.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:09 am

All of the PE line I've fished has lasted until there was a new line I wanted to try...

oe

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:03 am

I have several reels with 10 yo line on them. I have not experienced any issues besides colorloss.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:49 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:03 am
I have several reels with 10 yo line on them. I have not experienced any issues besides colorloss.
Thanks.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:09 am
All of the PE line I've fished has lasted until there was a new line I wanted to try...

oe
Thanks.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 am

I had the exact same problem with the Stren braid. The last one I used was some 80# braid set up for my catfishing. I had not touched it for like several years and I barely even used it. It was about 10 yrs old or so and when I went to tug on the line, it snapped clean. I also when to fish it and it snapped clean while I was pulling on the sinker on the the bottom.

I had to get rid of that Stren braid.

I also have some Berkley Whiplash...still have it, that's 20+ yrs old now. Still using it here and there. I got rid the ones that have fluffed up and that's basically the life of braids. Once it's too fluffed, it's counterproductive. The us market with that Berkley Whiplash was like what one or two years only? So haven't bought any of that since.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:37 am

I feel that braid, on its own, lasts a decade+ and doesn’t care much about sun/UV light exposure. But braid, when fished, does fray as it rubs along structure, and that’s where my line failures come from. Happens in saltwater all the time when rockfish fishing, and I routinely take off the first 10 yards or so to be safe. But even in freshwater... I had 65lbs braid snap midcast on me this winter, and it’s only used for casting a fishfinder (that was a fun trip, watching $300 drift 40 feet from shore... but I eventually got it back by running a whopper popper over the line.) Must have rubbed against some rocks somewhere.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:09 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:37 am
I feel that braid, on its own, lasts a decade+ and doesn’t care much about sun/UV light exposure. But braid, when fished, does fray as it rubs along structure, and that’s where my line failures come from. Happens in saltwater all the time when rockfish fishing, and I routinely take off the first 10 yards or so to be safe. But even in freshwater... I had 65lbs braid snap midcast on me this winter, and it’s only used for casting a fishfinder (that was a fun trip, watching $300 drift 40 feet from shore... but I eventually got it back by running a whopper popper over the line.) Must have rubbed against some rocks somewhere.
That makes sense. Thanks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:14 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:29 am
I had the exact same problem with the Stren braid. The last one I used was some 80# braid set up for my catfishing. I had not touched it for like several years and I barely even used it. It was about 10 yrs old or so and when I went to tug on the line, it snapped clean. I also when to fish it and it snapped clean while I was pulling on the sinker on the the bottom.

I had to get rid of that Stren braid.

I also have some Berkley Whiplash...still have it, that's 20+ yrs old now. Still using it here and there. I got rid the ones that have fluffed up and that's basically the life of braids. Once it's too fluffed, it's counterproductive. The us market with that Berkley Whiplash was like what one or two years only? So haven't bought any of that since.
I have had the opposite experience. Last week was the first time I had Stren braid break somewhere away from a knot.
I'm going to do as Wilddog66 suggested, and reverse the braid on that reel, to see if the unused portion is still good. The strain on the line is greatest on the cast, so, even if the very end of the braid isn't as strong, I don't think it will matter.
If it doesn't help, I'll have to respool with new braid.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 pm

I usually go two seasons per reel, after the first season I reverse the braid for the next season, after that
I buy new.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 pm
I usually go two seasons per reel, after the first season I reverse the braid for the next season, after that
I buy new.
I just reversed the braid on that reel. As soon as I can fish again, we'll see how it holds up. Half the spool is still dark green.
I realized, as I was reversing the braid, that I had gotten in the habit of blacking the first four feet from the lure back with a sharpie, and that seemed to keep the braid from getting fuzzy. But maybe it was just hiding the wear.