New Varivas: Less than thrilled

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Varivas: Less than thrilled

Post by Johnny A » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 am

Nogales Dead or Alive.
I really liked the previous incarnation of Varivas braid. I recommended it once or twice here. I can’t say the same for the above mentioned line, Nogales Dead or Alive. It’s wispy, like one of those summer spider webs across your way out of no where. It doesn’t sit well on the spool. Not great for knots.
It was 1.0 (~20lb test), my previous choice for the brand. I used it for finesse plastics, topwaters and crankbaits, didn’t perform well with any.
I can’t recommend it anymore. If you like Daiwa Samurai braid you might like it.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Varivas: Less than thrilled

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 am
Nogales Dead or Alive.
I really liked the previous incarnation of Varivas braid. I recommended it once or twice here. I can’t say the same for the above mentioned line, Nogales Dead or Alive. It’s wispy, like one of those summer spider webs across your way out of no where. It doesn’t sit well on the spool. Not great for knots.
It was 1.0 (~20lb test), my previous choice for the brand. I used it for finesse plastics, topwaters and crankbaits, didn’t perform well with any.
I can’t recommend it anymore. If you like Daiwa Samurai braid you might like it.
I've used a bunch of different Varivas lines, not sure I have found one I dislike. They make several incarnations of Dead or Alive. I currently have the Ultra Power Finesse in PE #2 on a KTF CT Finesse spool and I love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nogales-By-Var ... 3059661028

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Varivas: Less than thrilled

Post by Johnny A » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:36 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:46 am
Nogales Dead or Alive.
I've used a bunch of different Varivas lines, not sure I have found one I dislike. They make several incarnations of Dead or Alive. I currently have the Ultra Power Finesse in PE #2 on a KTF CT Finesse spool and I love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nogales-By-Var ... 3059661028
I didn’t have the spool anymore so I went back to my order form and the line size was .8, about 20 lb test, if I’m not mistaken. Size 1, the last spool of Power Finesse was about 22lb test. I didn’t have wind knots with Power Finesse, the Dead or Alive had a couple.
The line had a similar texture but not exact. The other line, while thread-like had a density or body to it, this did not.