Favorite 15-20lb braid main line for spinning reels?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite 15-20lb braid main line for spinning reels?

Post by zalan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 am

Siggywiggy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 am
Cracker wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 pm
Siggywiggy wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:07 pm
Daiwa Morethan 12 carrier braid in 0,08mm. Extremely abrasion resistant, round, not a single complaint.
Counterfeit? The smallest diameter Morethan comes in 0.128mm
maybe in america, widely available in 0,08 in EU
If you look at the picture here:
http://www.daiwa.de/dw/en/products_1/br ... rdrows2=10

The 0.08mm version is PE#0.6 which is usually referred to 0.128mm in diameter. It is possible that different continent has different ratings for the same line. Unfortunately even big brands do that...

Personally never tried this line, as it is extremely expensive.

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Post by Siggywiggy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 am

Either they have bumped every size up a notch in EU or there is some sort of mixup between PE ratings, pound ratings and mm diameter ratings. The 0,08 mm morethan is visually way smaller then the 0,12mm morethan. I have also noticed this with Berkley line numerations/classifications, the mm rating in EU and the US website make no sense when directly compared to eachother.
Im personally extremely happy with it, its amazingly abrasion resistant and I dont have to cut back anywhere nearly as often in the end reducing the need to respool/put more backing on and I believe in the end its actually saving money.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 am

Siggywiggy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 am
Either they have bumped every size up a notch in EU or there is some sort of mixup between PE ratings, pound ratings and mm diameter ratings. The 0,08 mm morethan is visually way smaller then the 0,12mm morethan. I have also noticed this with Berkley line numerations/classifications, the mm rating in EU and the US website make no sense when directly compared to eachother.
Im personally extremely happy with it, its amazingly abrasion resistant and I dont have to cut back anywhere nearly as often in the end reducing the need to respool/put more backing on and I believe in the end its actually saving money.
Here in EU companies tend to lie about diameters and/or breaking strength. It is not one company, basically everyone does it and unfortunately there is no standard which is followed by everyone.

I know the Morethan line is extremely good, I have friends who work for/sponsored by Daiwa in my country and they are raving about it (they are also honest, they do not hype stuff they do not like). It is just the price is extremely high, I cannot get myself to pay that much. Their 8x tournament line is also very good and a lot cheaper and even that is an expensive line.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 pm

For the longest time I've been using Sufix 832 10# and Berkley Fireline Braid 15# on my spinning reels.

My knot on swivel test were:
Sufix 832 Braid .20 mm 10/4 knot break 17# 5 oz. (palomar knot 15# 14 oz.)
Berkley Fireline Braid 15/4 knot break 15# 0 oz. (palomar knot 12# 13 oz.)

The FG knot to 30# mono on the 832 braid yield a high knot break of 20# and this was on some old braid end that's on the spinning rod that's just beginning to show some fluff.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish