Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah, why so quiet about this line. Just saw that deliver is pending Dec. 29 on TW.

13 carrier...12 strands around a Gore strands.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line

Post by FamKench » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am

My local tackle store is getting some in a week. Not sure if I need it since the braid I'm using right now is good enough. (40 lb j-braid grand).

If it is a tad stiffer maybe. I occasionally get tip wrap with the softer braids and have to be mindful when casting.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 am

I've been using a spool of it in 0.8PE all season. No complains, it's very nice easy line to use. Don't think it's appreciably better than my standard line, which is Spiderwire smooth 8 though. That Spiderwire does everything I want in a line. I have a couple of reels that get a lot of use with 0.8 and 1PE on them that are 4 seasons old now and still working great. I did turn the 0.8 round this year, but only because it was a wet Sunday and I was looking for something to do! :lol:

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:51 am

I have a 40lb spool sitting in the garage for 3 months already, but have yet to put it on any reel. I will hold off till spring.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:51 pm

So I finally got some in the 6# and the 10# listed. The respectively listed diameter are .14 mm and .20 mm, which follows the same specs as 832 Advance and also the old Performance Braid.

As usual for me, I gave it my quick crude terminal tackle knot test on the Spro #10 swivel.

The results are with three knot trials successively on the same line sample:
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 6# .14 mm: 9# 4 oz., 9# 9 oz., 9# 6 oz.
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 10# .20 mm: 12# 4 oz., 11# 9 oz., 11# 12 oz.

The rough result with a high knot break on FG knot line to line of 30# mono:
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 6# .14 mm: 11# 12 oz.
Sufix 131 G-Core Braided Line 10# .20 mm: 17# 13 oz.

Comparison to similar diameter of other lines and break strengths:
Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4# knot break 9# 2 oz. (FG knot break 13# 7 oz.)
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .13 mm 8# knot break 10# 12 oz.
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 16# 14 oz.
Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6# knot break 8# 4 oz. (FG knot break 9# 3 oz.)
Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 13# (FG knot break 17# 12 oz.)
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .131 mm 14# listed knot break 6# 15 oz. (FG knot break 9# 14 oz.)
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .153 mm 16# listed knot break 9# 7 oz. (FG knot break 14# 1 oz.)

Sufix 832 Braid .20 mm 10/4 knot break 17# 5 oz. (FG knot break 20#)
Diawa J-Braid x8 .19 mm 15# knot break 18#
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 .185 mm 25# listed knot break 14# 13 oz. (FG knot break 18# 14 oz.)

In comparison seems like the 13 strands is not quite as strong as an 8 strands braid lines in similar diameter. I will note that the sample line I test was very consistent with it's knot strength so that's a plus. Also with the knot breaks, there was very little recoil deformity in the braid line. With the exception of the FG knot break, there was significant line recoil deformity. I also like to just give the line on the spool a finger pressure check to see if the line would compress. This line holds very well and solid, so a lot of potential for less line dig under pressure.

Now I just need to decide which reel to spool up with.

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Only 1 season with it so far, currently have 10lb on a vanford. I got lazy one trip with crappie fishing and decided to use straight braid. Did not land a single crappie, then again crappie fishing at that place isn't what it used to be due to overharvesting but caught plenty of pike and surprisingly none cut me off even after they swallowed my little jig. Even took my time bringing them in too and didn't lose a single jig that day. Not as limp as 832 so cranking would be a lot better with it than that but at the same time if your on a budget, I haven't seen any reasons to choose this over 832 or cheaper braids.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Initial field test.

The 6# line is spooled on a Shimano Twin Power 1000FD mounted on a Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart 32" custom ice rod. When I first spooled the line onto the reel, I noticed how uniform the line lay on this particular reel. It appears like they were a perfect match. No bulge or dips on the spool at all. I typically like to do a line compression test with just a finger and thumb squeeze on the spool. It feels very solid with no feel of compression like that of common braids.

So for just ice fishing purpose, the line flow off the spool was also very smooth. It could also be attributed to the spinning reel. All other reels I've used up to this point will generally hit a slight hang up on the underlying lines on the spool or a slight pinch where the line lays at the edge of the spool. I did not encounter any of this. I didn't even need to shake the rod to get line flow.

While typical braids will show up on the flasher due to having micro bubbles on the line on the first drop of lure, this braid barely showed any. It barely had three blinking sonar return signal but that was already after the lure had reached down twenty feet and the three sonar marks were high on the return at about 5, 8, and 10 mark on the dial. The micro bubbles quickly disappeared after a few moments. The only other time I had notice more micro bubbles was when I set the combo aside for sometime and used it again. After a few moments it all disappeared.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:54 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:43 pm
Initial field test.

The 6# line is spooled on a Shimano Twin Power 1000FD mounted on a Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart 32" custom ice rod. When I first spooled the line onto the reel, I noticed how uniform the line lay on this particular reel. It appears like they were a perfect match. No bulge or dips on the spool at all. I typically like to do a line compression test with just a finger and thumb squeeze on the spool. It feels very solid with no feel of compression like that of common braids.

So for just ice fishing purpose, the line flow off the spool was also very smooth. It could also be attributed to the spinning reel. All other reels I've used up to this point will generally hit a slight hang up on the underlying lines on the spool or a slight pinch where the line lays at the edge of the spool. I did not encounter any of this. I didn't even need to shake the rod to get line flow.

While typical braids will show up on the flasher due to having micro bubbles on the line on the first drop of lure, this braid barely showed any. It barely had three blinking sonar return signal but that was already after the lure had reached down twenty feet and the three sonar marks were high on the return at about 5, 8, and 10 mark on the dial. The micro bubbles quickly disappeared after a few moments. The only other time I had notice more micro bubbles was when I set the combo aside for sometime and used it again. After a few moments it all disappeared.
So how has it been for ice fishing, does it freeze up easy?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:54 pm

The few times I went and did do a very quick outdoor test, yeah, it freezes just as easy as any braid. To be fair, my monoline froze badly too. Temps were 8F to 20F at the time testing. So most of the time it was in low to mid teens in. There was some wind too so didn't feel like getting cold fingers and face.

I just hunker down in the shack mostly and stay warm. It could have just been the combination of rod, reel, and line, but it worked so well, even with fish hooked on. The control flow and feedback from hooked fish was very intuitive responsive. I didn't horse any fish in, so I don't know how that would've played out. I guided those fish in and the hook on fish stayed pinned solid. The hook was an Owner dropshot #2 size hook.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am

slipperybob, thanks especially for sharing all that diameter and strength data. That's a lot of careful typing!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 pm

Your welcome.

I like to reference back on them too. And sometimes the manufactures change their listed diameter on their boxes as time goes. Not sure if they actually changed the physical line diameters.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:16 pm
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:54 pm

The few times I went and did do a very quick outdoor test, yeah, it freezes just as easy as any braid. To be fair, my monoline froze badly too. Temps were 8F to 20F at the time testing. So most of the time it was in low to mid teens in. There was some wind too so didn't feel like getting cold fingers and face.

I just hunker down in the shack mostly and stay warm. It could have just been the combination of rod, reel, and line, but it worked so well, even with fish hooked on. The control flow and feedback from hooked fish was very intuitive responsive. I didn't horse any fish in, so I don't know how that would've played out. I guided those fish in and the hook on fish stayed pinned solid. The hook was an Owner dropshot #2 size hook.
Excellent, thank you.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:40 pm

If anything else, this line is super floaty on open water. Can be a good thing if you want to keep the line up on top. So that means it would be somewhat not the best choice for ice fishing, but I didn't see that effect while ice fishing.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:19 pm

So this Sufix 131 G-Core braid line is a bit fussy on the casting reel spools. On two different reels I've tried out so far, Scorpion BFS and Bantam MGL A casting reels. 10# and 20#

On the very first dry cast from the fresh spooled, it was flying so awesomely outrageously long distance. Then on the second cast afterwards it gets a little fussy and I can see the line on the spool sort of start to loosen oddly. Then on the third cast, nice fluffy line on spool and it pushes the underlying wraps much further into the underlying lines on the spool. So in part the line does have a sort of stiffness form to it, reminding me of Fireline fused and similar to YGK G-Soul upgrade X-8. So it behaves more like Fireline on the spool where one loose line wrap sort of pushes the underlying line loose like two or so wraps on the spool. So when pulling line to clear that one loose line loop, well seems like I have to pull off much more line.

Well afterwards of some moderate dry casting days later, seems like the line started to behave better. It may need a little bit of a breaking in period. I could've just up the braking settings on the reels but it would hinder the ease of casting distance that I normally like to achieve with other braids like Sufix 832 and J-Braid X8. If anything else I was learning how to pick out some moderate bird nest. I will note that the line lay on the reel spools looks awesome and so uniform.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:40 pm

I've been using the 6lb on my spinning reel and its been excellent so far.