Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

Post by MK49 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:09 pm

For us, who fished for long time (in other words, older fishermen :lol: ), braided lines are relatively new. Took me a while to get used them. I never used braided lines, until 2009. I was kind of forced to use them. I started fishing in Mexico, and even 25lbs Mono or Copolymer broke left and right, when I hooked big bass. That really sucked. ](*,) For my 3rd trip to Mexico, I used 50lbs Power Pro, and hated the noise. The noise and the feel that the lines came through the guides frustrated me. But, they didn't break like 25lbs mono. For the 4th trip, I used Daiwa 55lbs Samurai Braid, and that was it. No noise, and didn't break.

It was a game changer for me, because

1. For topwater walking baits (one of my main baits), better hook up ratio, especially after a long cast.

2. For crankbaits (another main baits), much easier to tell the difference between bites and hitting trees. It was kinda funny to see that my friend was surprised how much I could tell the difference. I said "tree, tree, tree, a bite!" Set the hook, and caught a 9 pounder. That all happened in less than 10sec.

3. For soft plastics, easier to detect bites.

4. Felt more confidence in the line, knowing it's not going to break as easily as mono/copolymer.

In Mexico, I used braids without leaders, because it's one less weak point (the knot). For local fishing here in Northern California, I use thinner braided line (20 to 30lbs) with mono or copolymer leaders (12 to 19lbs), because it's very rare to catch a bass over 10lbs here, and it's easier to break mono/copolymer leader, when hang up. Even with 6 ~ 8ft leaders, the advantage of using the braided line is still there.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:44 pm

Same here. I'm 95% braid, 5% mono or copolymer. I absolutely hate flouro. Tatsu cost me a big chunk of $ several years back in the last tourney I ever fished. I had a 5 and a 6 break off on 20# tatsu, short-line work on bed fish. One broke at the knot, which might have been on me, but the other one about 4-5 ft from the tip. Line was brand new and the rod had no damaged guides. The break in the middle was actually pitching repeatedly to the same 6# fish, first fish I found that morning. There was nothing in the water to damage the line. Tatsu is supposedly the best out there and that happened, so I never used flouro again. I've never broken braid on the hookset, or mono/copolymer, for that matter. Braid just works for me. Your results may vary.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:35 am

When someone develops a line that isn't a PITA, that will be a game changer.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:03 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:35 am
I have had way more line management issues with mono/copolymer than I've ever had with braid. Reel settings are completely different with braid. It took a lot of trial and error to gets reels dialed in with superlines. Once I figured that out, I found a considerable casting distance advantage....and at the end of a long cast, I have a big advantage when setting the hook, as well. X9 has been particularly great. It is thin, limp, strong, quiet thru the guides and casts like rocket. 90% of
time, I'm straight braid with no leader. I've had some issues when using a leader, so maybe that's what causes people to not like braid?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:15 pm

Yes.

Dacron certainly opened the door.

Then modern superlines (Spiderwire, Power Pro, and Fireline) starting in the mid 90’s and never looked back. Still remember the first time I fished every one and I’ve tried a ton!

Ironically enough, I still use some Fireline (the new fused 8-carrier).

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:35 pm

Before mono there was. :D

Anyway the first superlines of fusion type were kind of a one day fish and afterwards fluff to deal with. Sort of like the first few braided lines. The amount of strands also varied depending on how big the line actually was. Everything started with like three strands twine and upwards. There were 8 or 9 strands braid way back then but those were typically in the 80# rated braids and upwards.

A lot of the newly introduced braided lines were often loose weaves. Pain in the ____ when a hook point buries itself into the braid line. If you were ever so unlucky when that hook just happen to dig into the spool of braid.

Current today, I am mostly all braids, easily 90% of the time. Gotta reserve mono for slip bobber fishing and ice fishing is preferential to not use braid in the freezing cold.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm

I started fishing in Mexico, and even 25lbs Mono or Copolymer broke left and right,
wow what brand of mono was this???

the other day I was trying to break off a snagged Rapala Jointed Shad RX on 20 pound Sufix Siege and the hook broke and the lure came free before my palomar knot on my Sufix Siege did.

that mono must have been lying around in the sun for it to break so easily.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
its already out there:

Sufix Siege in smoke green baby!

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:43 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm
I started fishing in Mexico, and even 25lbs Mono or Copolymer broke left and right,
wow what brand of mono was this???

the other day I was trying to break off a snagged Rapala Jointed Shad RX on 20 pound Sufix Siege and the hook broke and the lure came free before my palomar knot on my Sufix Siege did.

that mono must have been lying around in the sun for it to break so easily.
I tried a few different ones, Sunline Supernatural, P-Line and I forgot the other one. They were brand new lines. I even put new lines a few times, while I was in Mexico. 22lbs Sunline Defier was the best mono/copolymer that I've tried. It didn't break much. It's way stronger than 25lbs Supernatural and 25lbs P-Line FloroClear.

This morning, I was using 20lbs Daiwa braid with 19lbs Defier leader. I was walking the dog, and got a bite. Looked like a 3 pounder, when I saw the bite. A few seconds after hooking the fish, I lost it. I thought the line or the leader knot broke. Guess what? The snap broke. I think the snap was rated 26lbs. Broken or bent out hooks would've been better. :lol: I guess the fish was bigger than I thought. I lost my favorite walker. I ordered another one, when I got home.
Last edited by MK49 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:07 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:44 pm
Line was brand new and the rod had no damaged guides.
This reminded me what happened in Mexico. One time, my favorite 55lbs Daiwa Samurai braid broke. The fish looked like an 8 pounder. That was the first time the 55lbs braid broke. I still had enough line left, so I kept using the same rod/reel. I caught a few 3 ~ 4lbs, and the line didn't break. Then, I hooked another 8+ pound bass, and the line broke again. I put a brand new 55lbs braid that night. The next day, another bigger fish broke the brand new line. Finally, I thought it's the guides. It was my main crankbait rod, and crankbait bite was happening. After the 3rd line break, I stopped using the rod, and no more breaks.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:16 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:44 pm
Same here. I'm 95% braid, 5% mono or copolymer. I absolutely hate flouro.
TBH, I've never used fluoro, because they sink, and topwater or a few feet below the surface is my main style. Based on your experience with fluoro, I'm glad I never wasted my time, fish and money with fluoro lines. :D

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:03 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I have had way more line management issues with mono/copolymer than I've ever had with braid. Reel settings are completely different with braid. It took a lot of trial and error to gets reels dialed in with superlines. Once I figured that out, I found a considerable casting distance advantage....and at the end of a long cast, I have a big advantage when setting the hook, as well. X9 has been particularly great. It is thin, limp, strong, quiet thru the guides and casts like rocket. 90% of
time, I'm straight braid with no leader. I've had some issues when using a leader, so maybe that's what causes people to not like braid?
Interesting. I use pretty much the same reel settings between mono and braid, and I don't have any issue.

I like X9, too. It's one of my favorites, but for casting distance, I think Daiwa Samurai and the newer J-Braid Grand 8X are a little better than the X9. The difference isn't that big, and for the price, you can't beat the x9, though.

I've tried a few different leader knots, and I ended up with what Shin Fukae uses, which I saw on YouTube. It's easy, and unless I do a crappy job, it doesn't break.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:08 am

No

Much prefer mono and fluoro.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:23 am

Hulkster wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:30 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
its already out there:

Sufix Siege in smoke green baby!
Not really lol. I've tried it. Original Defier is still the best overall line I've encountered. There is no line or line type that behaves under all conditions and circumstances. Just doesn't exist. I don't like tying braid and it's the worst in the wind. All lines can find their way into wrapping itself around anything in front of it at any time. When somebody introduces a line that behaves itself no matter the circumstances, that will be a game changer. And I don't like to use that term. A game changer must revolutionize something in order to be a game changer. Change the way we do something for the better in totality. I'll keep sticking with Fluoro until that happens... If it ever happens.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:41 am

It has been for me. I don't need heroic hooksets at the end of a long cast anymore. With no stretch, the hooks penetrate with just a sweep set, and I can winch fish out of grass and tules. I use a 4' length of 20lb fluoro as a leader.