Nylon replacement for OG Defier?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Nylon replacement for OG Defier?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:39 pm

I've been using Defier for so long now, I haven't as much as looked at other mono lines. I need something with a little thinner diameter than 11lb Defier for a few shallower spools. Just want to avoid all the kinks, twisting, etc. I'm not even sure there's another mono that handles as well as Defier on the market, but I want something very manageable that I can trust not to fail in some way or another.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nylon replacement for OG Defier?

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:05 am

I've not tried any of their nylon lines in thinner diameters, but the product from Varivas, overall, is very solid. Might want to look into their stuff.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:29 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:05 am
I've not tried any of their nylon lines in thinner diameters, but the product from Varivas, overall, is very solid. Might want to look into their stuff.
Will do. Any one particular?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm

Bump...any updates?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:05 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm
Bump...any updates?
Indeed. I purchased a few nylon lines from Varivas. I got the super soft and the bass. I've only had the opportunity to fish them once so far, but I'll report back when I have a little more use with them. So far so good.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:05 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...any updates?
Indeed. I purchased a few nylon lines from Varivas. I got the super soft and the bass. I've only had the opportunity to fish them once so far, but I'll report back when I have a little more use with them. So far so good.
Koolio, appreciate it bro.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

Sufix Siege and Elite mono is very good.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:05 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...any updates?
I've spent a fair amount of time using these two nylon lines from Varivas now.
Super Soft - This line is a brighter light blue color. If you were to cut a few feet from the spool and stretch it from both ends, you'd swear it's going to snap. At 1st glance, it kinda looks like some sort of thin kite string. You might even mistake it for being brittle before using it. It loops as it dangles from your rod tip with nothing tied on, just like most any line, but it doesn't curl. A very limp line that handles incredibly well. No knot tying issues, casting ability is excellent. Unlike any other mono I've ever used.
BASS - This line is a medium gray color. It's quite difficult to explain it's properties. Kinda resembles a thin gage wire, but definitely acts and handles like fishing line. This one curls up a bit more than the other, but it still behaves nicely. Not as smooth as the Super Soft, but less stretch. Casts quite nicely, but not as good as the Super Soft. It's stronger in nature than the Super Soft. Extra lubrication needed when knot tying. Knot won't sinch completely flush without it.
Both of these are quite unique and different than any other nylons I've used. Very hard to explain texture and feel, but both are definitely unlike your typical nylon fishing line. I would say the same about original Defier as well, but these are even more so different. Varvias has there own thing going on for sure. Defier is still slicker than Super Soft, but like I said, both of these lines have properties I've never seen before, pretty cool. I will absolutely continue to use both. Not necessarily better or worse than Defier, just different. I encourage everyone to give them a try. Pricing is reasonable, and not as expensive as OG Defier. I like the BASS as it comes in a 150 yard spool with a clear indicator at the halfway mark. I was able to completely fill two spools without the need for backing. Great for spools like the 1012SV, Zpi Nrc001-m, KTF Neo versatile, and SV105. I still have a full spool of both. Just have to decide which one to use on my Calcutta Conquest SE. I'm excited to try some of their fluorocarbon lines. I've also spooled most of my reels with new to me fluoros, including Shimano Mastiff, Seaguar R18 Hard and professional, and JDM Sniper. I've been mostly running Gamma for the past two seasons after trying a ton of others. Let me know if you are curious about any of these. What I will say is that R18 Hard is the best fluorocarbon I've tried. This stuff is sick!

Koolio, appreciate it bro.