Out barb hooks

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Out barb hooks

Post by angry john » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 pm

I love jerkbaits a lot, and one of the downfalls i have had is getting the bait to balance and have the correct overall weight to suspend. The hook of choice for some seems to be the Daiichi Death Trap Round Trebles. I have yet to give these a try, but want to give them a go soon. I use and like owner hooks a lot but they seem to be heavier and cause the bait to sink. I also have some gamy's and i love there hooks as well. What i am looking for is some user reviews on the Katsuage Out-Barb Hooks, and the VMC outbarbs. Are they good, or better than the others i previously listed or just a new gimmick?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Out barb hooks

Post by smalljaw » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 pm

I have the VMC outbarbs and they are great, no problems. The Katsuage hooks on the Vision 110 are made by VMC also, the difference is the VMC outbarb seems to be a tad stronger, the wire diameter may be a hair bigger but weight hasn't affected the baits I use them on. I love the Owner stinger hooks but they are heavy and you need to be careful on jerkbaits that have a slow rise as you can turn them into sinkers. The death traps are super sharp, decent strength and weigh less than the stinger hooks but I rarely use them as I replace my 110 hooks with the VMC outbarbs and my other baits I use Mustad triple grips.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Where do you get your VMC outbarbs from?

Crankbaitmaker

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:Where do you get your VMC outbarbs from?

Crankbaitmaker
http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store ... Hooks.html

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:44 am

I get them at Captain Hooks discount warehouse, the only problem is they only have 1/0 left so go to LPO..http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/in ... 659&view=1

Rasputin
Angler
Angler

Post by Rasputin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:02 am

Interesting concept with the barbs on th e outside. Does anyone know how strong they are? 4x strong etc.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply guys.

The hooks are plenty strong enough for bass fishing. They look really cool on a crankbait.

Crankbaitmaker

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Depends on the bait you're talking about. Since you're referring to katsuage, assuming its a 110? I've found the 110 to be very sensitive to anything other than a katsuage replacement when the water is cold. The regular outbarbs is significantly heavier wire and will make a 110 sink in my experience, but that might not be bad. The gami magic eye short shank is close but still a tad heavier that katsuage. I recall TT did a hook replacement test for the 110 some time back. As for other baits they seem less sensitive.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 pm

The only problem with katsuage hooks is that they bend easily. Even when catching smaller fish on the 110 the hooks bent. The wire in these hooks are just to thin in my opinion. Smalljaw....how do you know that VMC makes these hooks? Daiichi Death Trap Round Trebles are really nice hooks. I have clients that specifically ask for them.

Crankbaitmaker

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Crankbaitmaker wrote:The only problem with katsuage hooks is that they bend easily. Even when catching smaller fish on the 110 the hooks bent. The wire in these hooks are just to thin in my opinion. Smalljaw....how do you know that VMC makes these hooks? Daiichi Death Trap Round Trebles are really nice hooks. I have clients that specifically ask for them.

Crankbaitmaker
I read an article by Randy Blaukat (sp) awhile back and he talked about hook replacement on the 110 but he said the Katsuage hooks were fine but that the bait was designed to be fished on 6lb line and that is why they had VMC make the Katsuage hooks with a thin diameter wire. That was probably 2 years or longer but if you look at those and look at the VMC outbarb, you notice that they look identical with the main difference in the VMC labeled hook uses a slightly heavier diameter wire.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks. Interesting.

Crankbaitmaker

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:00 am

I'll have to try those VMC Barbarians. I like the Katsuage hooks, but they bend and break a little too easily. Especially on a shallow Flap Slap, I get about one or two outings with them before I have to change them. I wish you could get some nicer size 8 options for 110 Jr's and other smaller cranks.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Thu May 01, 2014 1:57 pm

the katsuage hooks do bend easily but they also bend back easily and I've never had one break while doing so. they are amazingly sharp I once had a friend who had all three trebles barb deep in his hand after a fish shook them out on the deck of the boat. a painful trip to the ER ensued. If I could stomach the idea of handling them enough to put them on all of my hard baits, I would