SPRO LITTLE JOHNS AND BIG JOHNS PROBLEMS

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jose85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SPRO LITTLE JOHNS AND BIG JOHNS PROBLEMS

Post by jose85 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 am

Has anyone have had bad crackbaits from SPRO?
I've purchased a few from different vendors and found that a few were bad.
1 of my little johns would swim sideways . usually I can twik it to swim straight but never got it to go straight.
another little john won't even dive. I try to get it down to the bottom and I keeps coming to the surface like is the hooks were caught on the line.
and 1 of my Big Johns doesn't even have the weight transfer system like the little johns even though it states it does on there website.

I have contact spro and so far they have only replaced 1 of my crackbaits.

So my question again is has anyone else ran into to this problems? :crying: :crying: :crying:

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SPRO LITTLE JOHNS AND BIG JOHNS PROBLEMS

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I have five little johns, 2 of the shallow ones, and 3 medium divers. I have a problem with one of the shallow divers running sideways. I haven't tried to tweek it yet. I think I'll be able to straighten it out.
Last edited by Shimano-Or-Nothing on Mon May 16, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:25 pm

I had one from spro but it's not the little john. It was a deep diver that doesn't matter how I tweaked it, it would not run straight and true. I finally give up on it.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:30 pm

It was the madeye shad.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

That sucks that you had problems. I have had nothing but good luck with those so far. However I have only fished the Little John 1/2oz. Don't give up on them yet.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:22 am

no problems with little john or big john!
Fish on!

bdox
Angler
Angler

Post by bdox » Mon May 16, 2011 4:50 am

I haven't tried my Little John DDs yet, but two Fat John 60s with the circuit board bills will not run true.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

I have also had problems with the little johns not running true. I tried for weeks to get it to run right, but to no avail. I mean for a $10+ bait hell it could at least run true :roll: . I might be OK with it on a SK $5 bait but come on. I'm not even gonna start with the hooks being super small and still fouling up on EVERY cast. Then i got one of the red clear ones that the tungsten ball was stuck in the tail section. You could see the tracks for the ball to ride on down to the belly but it just never moved. Its was stuck in the tail section and swam like poo. ](*,) I have totally given up on these.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 am

i have some early ones and they work great. the only issue i have is the front and back hooks getting tangled together occasionally. never had the tracking issues.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:04 am

Terrible that your having bad luck with these. Like above i bought a bunch when they first came out and not one issue with any of the baits i love them. I havent bought any since though
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

ww2farmer
Angler
Angler

Post by ww2farmer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 am

about 99.9% of the time Spro stuff is great right out of the package. I have not had a dud little john yet, but I did have one (out of countless that I have bought) Bronze eye frog, that the paint peeled off right out of the package. I contacted Spro, and even sent pictures of the frog, along with pics of my reciept so they didn't think I was snow jobbing them, and never heard a thing from them. Good bait company, terrible service.

NickN
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NickN » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:35 pm

I have 20+ little johns, little john (MD) and Fat Johns. Have not yet had any issues with them.

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm

NickN wrote:I have 20+ little johns, little john (MD) and Fat Johns. Have not yet had any issues with them.
Same here. I can't tell you how many I've gone through over the past 2-3 years and I've only had one Fat John that I had to spend more than 3-4 casts tuning. Other than that they've been flawless. I sometimes get the impression that most people don't know how to tune a crank bait - especially baits with brass hardware.
Powell Rods

bowfin13
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bowfin13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:50 am

I have had tons of little johns crack on me, you get about 2-3 days of really hard fishing out of one, but really who cares? they catch the heck out of fish and cast a mile! The circuit board version is my go-to search bait. As far as hooks go to the #6 KVDs from mustad, they grab fish better (deeper bite) and they dont get tangled, and the action is exactly the same (tested it in the tub) problem solved :)
The bowfin; big, mean, ugly and kicking ass for 100 million years and counting.