Trokar treble hooks

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
evilash510
Angler
Angler

Trokar treble hooks

Post by evilash510 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Anybody know when they are coming out? also how do you guys like the mustad KVD trebles?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Trokar treble hooks

Post by steve1206 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:18 am

Don't know when they are coming but I will say I have 3 go-to replacement trebles for most situations. They are the KVD, Lucky Craft, and my favorite is the Owner ST-41.

evilash510
Angler
Angler

Post by evilash510 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 am

I like the owners as well , i have not had great luck with gami trebles for some reason , i do like there other hooks.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am

I'm using the KVD trebles on my shallow diving crankbaits and squarebills and love them. I have not lost a fish yet! *knocks on wood*

The other treble that I use is a Gamakatsu Round Bend 2x hook. This is the hook that I put on topwaters, ripbaits, and lipless crankbaits. The stripers in the CA Delta will tear up your trebles, and pulling out big bass out of the weeds will bend out regular 1x ones.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 pm

godshippy wrote:I'm using the KVD trebles on my shallow diving crankbaits and squarebills and love them. I have not lost a fish yet! *knocks on wood*

The other treble that I use is a Gamakatsu Round Bend 2x hook. This is the hook that I put on topwaters, ripbaits, and lipless crankbaits. The stripers in the CA Delta will tear up your trebles, and pulling out big bass out of the weeds will bend out regular 1x ones.
If you like the Gama 2X, you should drool over the ST-41s, if you have not tried them.....You'd open a split ring before you straightened one out (I have actually done this on a Repo Man and a hybrid striper).

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:35 pm

I like the KVD short shank triple grips on lipless baits, squarebills and deep divers. I like them on the redeye because they hit the sides of that bait and make it louder. Same on squarebills I think they make baits produce more fish because the alter the action/sound of the bait. Especially if you upsize like KVD suggests. I would imagine that his squarebills are designed around that. You can take a redeye shad with stock hooks and it will catch fish, but if you upsize them with the KVD hooks, that baits seems to perform much better. Not scientific testing, but just my experience and two buddies that thought the redeye was all marketing hype until we changed hooks.

I also like the owner hook that Steve1206 mentions. Especially on topwater baits. The round bend, longer shank and VERY sharp. They hold up better than the gammakatsu in my opinion.

Another hook I like on jerkbaits, topwaters and deeper running cranks is the daiichi deathtrap trebles. They are a little thicker wire, bigger barb and VERY sharp point. When they hook, they hold. Harder to find than a lot of other hooks. I don't like them on shallow running crankbaits because of the shank length. Really started liking short shank on my shallow baits coming through cover.

Haven't seen the trokar hooks but as often as I change out trebles, I doubt I could afford to fish a trokar....

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 am

I change all my crank bait hooks out with the KVD Elite triple grips. Before these came out I used the standard short shank triple grips but found that although the hook up ratio is excellent they are a bit weak. The KVD triple grips solved that problem.

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:52 pm

For me and quite a few people I know who win a lot of money, the KVD Elite's are garbage except for on rattle trap style baits. One a fat body crank, they kick in too much. On a fat body crank, once the bait blows their mouth open the hook points face the wrong way. When they first came out I was using them on a few 1.5in square bills and fish were absolutely crushing the bait and not hooking up. I switched to the same bait with my usual trebles and they were all caught with both hooks way back in the mouth. On fat body cranks, I go up a single size from factory to an Owner Stinger ST36.
Powell Rods