Gan Craft / Zenith Z-claw

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
SHRIMPER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Gan Craft / Zenith Z-claw

Post by SHRIMPER » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:30 pm

I enjoyed fishing top water hardbaits this past summer and find myself wanting to try new baits.

I can't seem seem to find too much info on this bait. It's stated as a swimbait on one site and a top water walking bait on another site. Just wondering from people that have fished it if it does both or one?

Thanks,
Frank

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Gan Craft / Zenith Z-claw

Post by socal cranker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:19 pm

It is a topwater walking bait. It does walk great and can give fish a diiferent look since it walks just below the surface pushing a nice wake. Very unique.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:02 pm

The topwater bug is a bad one :D
Check out the luckycraft balsa Sammy- its one of the best usdm topwater baits out there imo. The only downside is the paint will come off after a few good fish. $24. A little pricey for some but I gladly pay it, and on top of that will go so far as to have an additional paint job & protective coating put on it. I like it THAT much.

A few tips:
- burn it as fast as you can(and I mean as fast you can) while bouncing your rod back and forth from the 12 o'clock(straight up) position to the 2 0'clock position. if your arm/shoulder muscles aren't hurting and people aren't looking at you funny your not working it hard enough. This technique WILL produce big fish. Even old, fat mama bass still got it in em to get up & go. And when they decide they want it, I promise you, you couldn't out run em with that bait if you had a 10:3:1 reel.
-cast multiple times in the same spot. Your trying to 'turn the fish on'. Alot of my fish come on the 5th or 6th cast to the same spot.
- natural instinct is to replace the rear hook with a feathered hook. On that bait though it will kill the 'hyper' action. A trimmed down feather hook is ok, but I move it so fast it doesn't matter. I do like to tie 1-3 glittery strands on the rear hook for a lil extra flash. The stock hook is kinda flimsy. I usually put a stronger hook on it, the same size or 1 size larger. Now if all you do is burn it, you can get away with giant hooks, but you want to be able to walk it if needed.
-Sure set, or scorpion hooks work good too, especially on the front hanger. Again, just don't go too big. Experiment with different sizes.
-a really overlooked topwater is the little Owner Cultiva Zip n Ziggy. But it's pretty light and not the easiest to cast on baitcasters. If you can manage, It'll catch big ones, bigger than you'd expect from a bait that size.
Now jdm topwater baits.... I don't talk about those :-#
That z craw looks nice, It's on my 'to buy' li$t

SHRIMPER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SHRIMPER » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. I will pick one of the wooden sammys up over the winter. The hard
part will be waiting until spring to use it as I'm in Canada and winter even hasn't started yet.

Frank

Pond Prowler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pond Prowler » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:27 pm

spookybaits wrote:The topwater bug is a bad one :D
Agreed :lol:

yendor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by yendor » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:35 pm

take the back hook off your sammy, add 60cm of line, tie on your z-claw~ hang on to your rod :lol:

SHRIMPER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SHRIMPER » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 am

I'll give it the old college try. Wouldn't it be difficult to cast? I trust that you've tried this method and it has worked
for you with success?