Pointer 100 or Vision 110?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Pointer 100 or Vision 110?

Post by cornmuse » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:48 pm

How and when would you select between these hardbaits? Do they occupy the same niche and are, therefore redundant? Or do they fit different conditions? When would you select for each?

In a related question, how does the Live Pointer 95 and the Silent Pointer 95 fit into the order? From a YouTube video I see the Live Pointer may be a better choice under cold water conditions?

I see quite a few jerkbaits that look very,very similar and before I buy ALL of them (already got a good start \:D/ ) I'd like to know what I really need to get to learn the category.

Thanks.

Joe C.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pointer 100 or Vision 110?

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:25 am

The only pointer I use is the 100sp, and here is how I decide to throw the vision 110 or the pointer. If I'm fishing a lake and the water is clear I will start with the vision 110 and watch everything. and if I'm getting light bites or followers I know to from experience to throw the pointer. In the water I fish there is something about the shape of the pointer that when fish are hesitant to bite other jerkbaits, a pointer suspending in front of them makes them hit. If the fish are reacting to action then the vision 110 is the bait I go with, if the fish are just looking so to speak, then the pointer 100 is what I like to use.
Barlow's Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am

I really like the 95 as I feel fish are not seeing silent rip baits nearly as often as the rest.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

I let the fish tell me what they want. I usually start with a pointer tied on one rod and an xrap tied on another rod. If I am getting follow ups and short strikes or no action at all I will try a 110 and a wild shiner.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm

smalljaw wrote:The only pointer I use is the 100sp, and here is how I decide to throw the vision 110 or the pointer. If I'm fishing a lake and the water is clear I will start with the vision 110 and watch everything. and if I'm getting light bites or followers I know to from experience to throw the pointer. In the water I fish there is something about the shape of the pointer that when fish are hesitant to bite other jerkbaits, a pointer suspending in front of them makes them hit. If the fish are reacting to action then the vision 110 is the bait I go with, if the fish are just looking so to speak, then the pointer 100 is what I like to use.
So you find the Vision 110 to be more productive when the fish are more aggressive? Fascinating. Do you find the fish are less attracted to the Pointer when they are "on" than they are to the Vision 110?

I'll definitely be picking up a couple of the Pointer 95 Silent. I'm not sold on big noise in the intimate creeks I prefer to fish, but then again I can't say from experience. It might just be the noise is spooking me! Can't wait for my next opportunity to get out on the water and experiment.

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm coming to "hardware" from years of exlusively fly fishing so all this is new to me. I'm obsessed with the subtleties of this aspect of the sport. Thanks for sharing your answers to these questions and helping in my exploration of the fine points of bass fishing (and for helping to ensure I never have any "pocket change" again)! TT is awesome!

Joe C.

Huskybass101
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Huskybass101 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 pm

112 is the magic number.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm

112? I don't understand.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 pm

cornmuse wrote:112? I don't understand.
Perhaps he's referring to the Slender Pointer.

team510
Angler
Angler

Post by team510 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:36 am

its hard to beat the vision it just hurts when you lose one!!!

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:51 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
cornmuse wrote:112? I don't understand.
Perhaps he's referring to the Slender Pointer.
Oh, okay :doh: So how does the Slender Pointer fit into this equation? Would you use it instead of the 100sp, or under different circumstances? Or is it a competitor with the Vision 110 and is somehow different from the 100sp? I can buy a few of each of these but I'm still having a hard time figuring out when I'd use one or the other...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:56 am

cornmuse wrote:
smalljaw wrote:The only pointer I use is the 100sp, and here is how I decide to throw the vision 110 or the pointer. If I'm fishing a lake and the water is clear I will start with the vision 110 and watch everything. and if I'm getting light bites or followers I know to from experience to throw the pointer. In the water I fish there is something about the shape of the pointer that when fish are hesitant to bite other jerkbaits, a pointer suspending in front of them makes them hit. If the fish are reacting to action then the vision 110 is the bait I go with, if the fish are just looking so to speak, then the pointer 100 is what I like to use.
So you find the Vision 110 to be more productive when the fish are more aggressive? Fascinating. Do you find the fish are less attracted to the Pointer when they are "on" than they are to the Vision 110?

I'll definitely be picking up a couple of the Pointer 95 Silent. I'm not sold on big noise in the intimate creeks I prefer to fish, but then again I can't say from experience. It might just be the noise is spooking me! Can't wait for my next opportunity to get out on the water and experiment.

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm coming to "hardware" from years of exlusively fly fishing so all this is new to me. I'm obsessed with the subtleties of this aspect of the sport. Thanks for sharing your answers to these questions and helping in my exploration of the fine points of bass fishing (and for helping to ensure I never have any "pocket change" again)! TT is awesome!

Joe C.
Joe, your assesment is correct, I find if the fish are even slightly aggressive the Vision 110 is the better bait. Does that mean that when the fish ar "on" they ignore the pointer? Not at all but when fishing with a friend, we were trying to decide which was better, I had been a pointer nut and the 110 was something new to me and my friend was going to show me that I was using yesterdays lure. Well that particular day the jerkbait bite was on and we both were catching fish but it was evident the 110 was producing more and bigger fish consistantly throught the day, at one point he caught and landed 3 fish to my one over a 30 minute period. From that point on I really liked the 110 and didn't think much of my pointer although I knew they were good, but still the 110 was better and then I hooked up with my buddy again to go get some jerkbait fish and it happened, the 110 that I grew to love wasn't producing, my buddy had 1 and I missed 1 and had 2 followers. For awhile I just kept going at it as I only owned three 110s so switching colors wasn't about to happen as I only had 2 colors and already switched so of course with nothing to lose I went with a pointer 100 and made a cast, gave it three good rips and let it sit and then my line just slowly tightened, fish on! And so the rest of the day went, we didn't get many but we didn't have a bad day either, but having the pointer was the reason it wasn't bad as all but 1 fish was taken with the pointer and all were practically the same, no hard fast hits like the 110 got, but instead sort of a eat and slowly swim off attitude. That is the other part, I very seldom get less than a violent strike with the 110, the fish just seem to want to destroy it while the pointer is more like a simple meal that the fish just eats as if it isn't worried it migh run away, at least thats how its been for me.
Barlow's Tackle

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

smalljaw wrote:
cornmuse wrote:

Joe C.
Joe, your assesment is correct, I find if the fish are even slightly aggressive the Vision 110 is the better bait. Does that mean that when the fish ar "on" they ignore the pointer? Not at all but when fishing with a friend, we were trying to decide which was better, I had been a pointer nut and the 110 was something new to me and my friend was going to show me that I was using yesterdays lure. Well that particular day the jerkbait bite was on and we both were catching fish but it was evident the 110 was producing more and bigger fish consistantly throught the day, at one point he caught and landed 3 fish to my one over a 30 minute period. From that point on I really liked the 110 and didn't think much of my pointer although I knew they were good, but still the 110 was better and then I hooked up with my buddy again to go get some jerkbait fish and it happened, the 110 that I grew to love wasn't producing, my buddy had 1 and I missed 1 and had 2 followers. For awhile I just kept going at it as I only owned three 110s so switching colors wasn't about to happen as I only had 2 colors and already switched so of course with nothing to lose I went with a pointer 100 and made a cast, gave it three good rips and let it sit and then my line just slowly tightened, fish on! And so the rest of the day went, we didn't get many but we didn't have a bad day either, but having the pointer was the reason it wasn't bad as all but 1 fish was taken with the pointer and all were practically the same, no hard fast hits like the 110 got, but instead sort of a eat and slowly swim off attitude. That is the other part, I very seldom get less than a violent strike with the 110, the fish just seem to want to destroy it while the pointer is more like a simple meal that the fish just eats as if it isn't worried it migh run away, at least thats how its been for me.
Good info. I just started using 110's and from what you are saying I am backwards in my thinking. I thought 110's were better for less aggressive fish so use them to follow up xraps and pointers. I guess I should start with the 110 and change accordingly to match the fishes mood.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 am

Each has their place and time, but I seem to always have my 110's tied on rather than my pointers.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:55 pm

smalljaw wrote:Joe, your assesment is correct, I find if the fish are even slightly aggressive the Vision 110 is the better bait. Does that mean that when the fish ar "on" they ignore the pointer? Not at all but when fishing with a friend, we were trying to decide which was better, I had been a pointer nut and the 110 was something new to me and my friend was going to show me that I was using yesterdays lure. Well that particular day the jerkbait bite was on and we both were catching fish but it was evident the 110 was producing more and bigger fish consistantly throught the day, at one point he caught and landed 3 fish to my one over a 30 minute period. From that point on I really liked the 110 and didn't think much of my pointer although I knew they were good, but still the 110 was better and then I hooked up with my buddy again to go get some jerkbait fish and it happened, the 110 that I grew to love wasn't producing, my buddy had 1 and I missed 1 and had 2 followers. For awhile I just kept going at it as I only owned three 110s so switching colors wasn't about to happen as I only had 2 colors and already switched so of course with nothing to lose I went with a pointer 100 and made a cast, gave it three good rips and let it sit and then my line just slowly tightened, fish on! And so the rest of the day went, we didn't get many but we didn't have a bad day either, but having the pointer was the reason it wasn't bad as all but 1 fish was taken with the pointer and all were practically the same, no hard fast hits like the 110 got, but instead sort of a eat and slowly swim off attitude. That is the other part, I very seldom get less than a violent strike with the 110, the fish just seem to want to destroy it while the pointer is more like a simple meal that the fish just eats as if it isn't worried it migh run away, at least thats how its been for me.
Superb information! =D> =D> =D> That gives me something to work from and start planning a strategy. So I've got to buy both (good news cause I already did!) but now I have an idea of when/how to select.

Next up, how does the Slender Pointer, Live Pointer and Silent Pointer fit in? I'm assuming the Silent for times when any significant noise might be bad - low, clear water for example. And the Live Pionter for times when the water is colder. So what about the Slender? Do I need those, too? When would I use them?

Great discussion!

Joe C.

Huskybass101
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Huskybass101 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Once you get good with a Slender 112, you won't want to ever throw anything else, especially if you fish for smallmouth.

If it were me, I'd buy a couple of Pointer 78's and a couple of 112's in your favorite colors, and only use the 78's when you need to downsize. The 112 is such a great bait, I wish I could push the calendar ahead 60 days. :D