Megabass Vision 110 issue

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Vision 110 issue

Post by WoodT » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 am

USA-RET wrote:A bait that is temperature sensitive, when they are supposed to be be used in the summer on a boat in the sun. :doh: Is this only a Vision issue or do all the Megabass lures suffer the same flaw?

I could understand failures if you left them on the dashboard in the sun, but in a storage box in a boat locker in the garage. :roll: These are supposed to be fishing lures not Faberge Eggs. :lol:
Reading this thread, I'm tempted enough...given the fun I would then have teasing my friend damien megabass...to put a 110 and an RC STX side-by-side in an oven for observation.

I'm kind of surprised this wouldn't have been a "known anecdotal defect," unless 110 build construction has changed over the years. That's impossible, of course, since going to cheaper manufacturing would potentially have changed how much they charged for them, in addition to lowering pricing for consumers to reflect potential market entrants with the same design...just 3x cheaper. :-# :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 pm

WoodT wrote:I'm kind of surprised this wouldn't have been a "known anecdotal defect,"
This is not the first time this problem has been discussed on TT. It has been known for a while.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
WoodT wrote:I'm kind of surprised this wouldn't have been a "known anecdotal defect,"
This is not the first time this problem has been discussed on TT. It has been known for a while.
Wasn't aware...I do not search for historic 110 threads...though this makes buying the real stuff going forward make even less sense to me.

I think the next TT review should be a heads-up comparison of the two, including a bake-off.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 am

A search on 110 topics would be awfully voluminous too. The bait still catches fish, and it seems to only affect some 110s for some unknown reason. I haven't bothered to check it out, but perhaps it is related to color.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:36 am

There was a video regarding the MB I-Bank showing the difference between outside temp and temp inside the I-Bank. I think that reflects a knowledge on their part of the effects of heat and direct sunlight on their products and what should be done to prevent damage.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 am

WoodT wrote:
USA-RET wrote:A bait that is temperature sensitive, when they are supposed to be be used in the summer on a boat in the sun. :doh: Is this only a Vision issue or do all the Megabass lures suffer the same flaw?

I could understand failures if you left them on the dashboard in the sun, but in a storage box in a boat locker in the garage. :roll: These are supposed to be fishing lures not Faberge Eggs. :lol:
Reading this thread, I'm tempted enough...given the fun I would then have teasing my friend damien megabass...to put a 110 and an RC STX side-by-side in an oven for observation.

I'm kind of surprised this wouldn't have been a "known anecdotal defect," unless 110 build construction has changed over the years. That's impossible, of course, since going to cheaper manufacturing would potentially have changed how much they charged for them, in addition to lowering pricing for consumers to reflect potential market entrants with the same design...just 3x cheaper. :-# :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure three of your RX STX's and one of my 110's :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Haven't had any bloated 110's as of today. Last time I was out during the day it was in the high 80's and left my box out int he sun for 6+ hours and they were fine.....No broken lips/eye's falling off til today as well.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:46 pm

damian_megabass wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sure three of your RC STX's and one of my 110's :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Haven't had any bloated 110's as of today. Last time I was out during the day it was in the high 80's and left my box out int he sun for 6+ hours and they were fine.....No broken lips/eye's falling off til today as well.
I have both, as you know. Muskie on the RC, 5 inch crappie on the 110 magnum. I don't think of this as a pattern.

Find some warped ones for the next outing. Given we dumped two respective tackle boxes into that stupid lake last weekend, and almost skunked, maybe that is the missing link. I refuse to accept it is us: you are too good at fishing, and I am too damn handsome.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:37 pm

^^

You know I don't like taking pics of people and their fishes :lol: :lol: :lol:

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm

damian_megabass wrote:^^

You know I don't like taking pics of people and their fishes :lol: :lol: :lol:
How come you think I made you send the pic twice? :lol:

I was due, given my current string of non-success. But yes. The painful lesson is that your Cardiff in July out fished your monoblock in August. I dont like thinking about this too much. Just blame the second outing on how I was positioning the boat. :lol:

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Just bought three Vision Oneten's, and decided to scale them.
All three showed different weight - 13,4g;13.5g; 13.9g
I understand 0.1g difference, but 0.5g :shock:
Any logical explanation?
Tomorrow gonna look how they sit in the water.

Checked couple Jackall's, and Zipbaits I have - the weight is absolutely the same.

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:29 pm

I've had problems with the internal weight getting stuck at the tail on about 4 or 5 baits. I've also had broken bills. Some baits take on water. It's pretty upsetting when my $25 bait doesn't last as long as a $4 bait.

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by artiea » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm

just be advised, I have also had it happen to rico's and other expensive topwaters, lucky craft included. had it happen to cranks and rattle baits also. I live in Virginia, sometimes it does get pretty warm therefore I make an effort to bring my stuff in the house. Oh yeah, don't think about leaving your stuff in the car.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Are there any reports of duo baits having this issue? I just found i love them and already have about 10.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

I suggest drilling a small hole in the bottom of the bait to relieve pressure. Of course if you put a hot bait into cold water it might draw water into the bait! So drill it out and insert a bit of cork or other sealer in the hole that would blow out if the pressure built up. Got to save those expensive baits (yes I have several).

surferdave
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surferdave » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 am

I feel like some of my older 110's seemed more brittle, never had any expand on me though. I will say this, I have a particular 110+1 that has caught over 150 striped and largemouth bass, and it is holding up like a champion. Durability on that bait is remarkable.