Differences in Strike King Red Eye Shad Lipless Cranks

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Differences in Strike King Red Eye Shad Lipless Cranks

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 am

Regarding the Red Eye Shad lipless crankbaits, a guide who uses them extensively pointed out inconsistencies in the lures.

I have a number of the lures in their original packages. and I noticed that some are made in Mexico and others in Costa Rica. The two factories could in itself account for differences in the exact same model and color. I looked at a few of the same model and color, and there are slight differences in the colors and striping.

Has anyone else noticed any differences in the fishing actions of the lures?

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Differences in Strike King Red Eye Shad Lipless Cranks

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 am

Great baits at a very nice value. No problem in the 20 I own, new and very old.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:09 am

I've never had any problems with these baits that has affected the action of the lure. Their metallic finishes such as Silver & Gold wear off easier than it should, at 5$ a piece I can live with it.

murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 am

Only issue I experienced was small hooks on some of them

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 am

i've been using them for years and have caught many fish on them. the early ones had round split rings at the top but strike king changed them to oval-shaped rings about two years ago. they also started using better hooks too. the chrome plating seemed to have improved by just a little bit...they're still bad though...on the first ones, the chrome would start flaking off if you just looked at them, on the current ones, the chrome only starts coming off if you touch them :lol:

as far as the actual fishing, i have noticed slight differences in the action between individual red eye shads, even of the same color and size. i have some that are flat-out bass catchers and some that look identical but fish don't seem to want any part of.