Hardbody Swimbait?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
FishG3
Angler
Angler

Hardbody Swimbait?

Post by FishG3 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm in the market for a few hardbody swimbaits that won't break the bank but work for what I want them to do. I use them for finding spawners in the spring in murky waters and I want something that has a fast sink but more long/narrow profile instead of a wide body shape like the Giron. You guys have any suggestions?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hardbody Swimbait?

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 am

Sebile Magic Swimmer, Lucky Craft Smasher, Lucky Craft Real California Supreme 110, and the Spro BBZ-1 all seem to fit your needs, and almost all can be thrown on standard bass gear.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:24 am

How big a bait do you want to throw? The BBZ-1 8" requires an 807 or 867 Dobyns Style rod and the 6" can be done on a heavy bass rod. I throw those on a Cumara 711MHXF or Dobyns 795. Side of bait and equipment available will help with the selection. Bull Shads can be had between 5-9" and thrown with MH to that 867 rod and under $80. Do you have a budget in mind? Hard baits are usually more expensive than soft. Triple Trout can also be had relatively affordable and also in sizes from 6-10" but fished faster than most. Forget 3:16 as that's no where affordable.

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:43 am

I've heard good things about the Bull Shads but haven't seen one in person. I'm looking for something in the 5-6 inch range that's going to be fishable on normal bass gear. My budget right now is around $50 give or take.

I like the profile of the sebile but have fished them before and didn't much care for them.

How do you guys feel about the triple trouts?

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:55 am

Head over to Swimbait Nation and do a forum search for Triple Trout... You'll find so much info your eyes will bleed ;)

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:39 pm

TT are fished like lipless crank baits but just consider them oversized. Problem is they are over $50 and I'm not sure what you consider bass tackle. I have the 7", 8" and 10" and the 7" is 2oz. The 10 is over 4.

At a minimum you'll need a heavy flipping stick but to not exhaust yourself casting you're going to be better served with longer handles. Not what's often found on typical flipping sticks.

Besides the forum Bass Junky recommended, Southern Swimbaits with Matt Peters has lots of write ups on them and how to fish them. Also, go to TW and search their Swimbait section. They have it categorized by hard bodies and soft as well as different joints within each. You can then see what fits your budget and weight restrictions with your gear. At some point you may want a dedicated Swimbait combo and throw the biggest and baddest baits you feel comfortable with. Here size matters.

The BBz-1 6" Troit and 4" shad are very affordable and many have had success with them. I think the 4" is an ounce and a half and I know 6" is 2oz. You may have gear that can throw that and I believe both come in fast sink.

Spent the afternoon chucking a Hudd 8 and one over 2ft grab the tail. Deffinately over 8 poinds. Conditions were horrible with a cold front passing and winds in the 20-25 mph range and yet I was still able to entice a big girl to investigate. Consider going big from the start.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Sticking to your criteria, 6" BBZ is perfect.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:07 am

The R2S S Waver and Savage Gear 4Play both come to mind if your looking for fairly inexpensive productive baits. Both are roughly 5 inches and weigh 3/4 ounce. Can be fished on just about any stick you already own.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 am

I have the bbz-1 in 6 inch and it weighs a lot for a normal bass rod. Think the spec was 2.5oz. The smaller 4" would be ideal on a heavy rod, or the reaction innovations hard bodies are on epay cheap.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:26 am

BBZ 4" and 6" were the first hard bodied swimbaits I bought. IMO, you can throw the 6" on a normal flippin' stick and the 4" on much less, I was throwing it on a MH Avid crankbait rod/Alphas Ito set up effectively. Now the flippin' stick is not ideal for the 6" bait but I think you can do it long enough (using a nice lob cast) to decide if you want to continue down the swimbait path and buy a dedicated rod.The Dobyns 795ML is so sweet and good for the entire range of smaller, lighter swimbaits. Plus it could be used for other techniques as well, like A-rigs.

You see this all of the time when it comes to swimbaits, people wanting to use the gear they already own but really, unless you are staying on the small side, it's hard to do without at least one dedicated swimbait rod. The standard budget suggestion is a Shimano Cardiff/Okuma Guide Series which together can be had for right around the price on a 795. Personally, I'd go 795 and use a reel you already have....that's a nice rod.

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 pm

mattlures baby hard gil

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm

chrisjr1981 wrote:mattlures baby hard gil
Heck yeah, sweet bait but OP said long/narrow profile.

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tt350z » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 pm

I bought some Spro BBZ-1 Jr to try out for pike. I had more follows with them than any other bait. I only had a chance to use them for 1 day before the river started to freeze, but I have faith in them and ordered some more. I've lobbed them with my 7' 6'' Abu Garcia Veritas casting rod thats rated up to 1oz lures. But I went ahead and ordered a Airrus Micro Puls that's affordable and is no longer than 7' 6'' (the longest size that will fit in my truck bed).

If you're looking for a long narrow swim bait that won't break the bank, give Dynamic Lures a try. The on sale colors are only $7 a piece for the diving and top water versions. I bought a couple of them but I'll have to wait about 4 more months for the ice to melt before I can use them.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 am

FishG3 wrote:I'm in the market for a few hardbody swimbaits that won't break the bank but work for what I want them to do. I use them for finding spawners in the spring in murky waters and I want something that has a fast sink but more long/narrow profile instead of a wide body shape like the Giron. You guys have any suggestions?
Do I know you? ;) :welc:

A 5" or 7" CL8 is nice

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/CL8_Bait ... -CLB5.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/CL8_Bait ... -CLB7.html

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
FishG3 wrote:I'm in the market for a few hardbody swimbaits that won't break the bank but work for what I want them to do. I use them for finding spawners in the spring in murky waters and I want something that has a fast sink but more long/narrow profile instead of a wide body shape like the Giron. You guys have any suggestions?
Do I know you? ;) :welc:

A 5" or 7" CL8 is nice

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/CL8_Bait ... -CLB5.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/CL8_Bait ... -CLB7.html

Damn Dave, those look sweet!