Help River2Sea S Waver

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Senko28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help River2Sea S Waver

Post by Senko28 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 pm

I just got a Black (Midnight) 130 S-Waver and I'm asking when to use this color 8-[

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help River2Sea S Waver

Post by cst » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Senko28 wrote:I just got a Black (Midnight) 130 S-Waver and I'm asking when to use this color 8-[
Black is generally a night time color. I'm interested to hear in people's experiences with it during the day. I threw a black 6" hard swimbait a bit today but the fish showed no interest in it.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Senko28 wrote:I just got a Black (Midnight) 130 S-Waver and I'm asking when to use this color 8-[
I would say low light conditions or murky water.

My preferences go to bigger sizes and this plays a very important role also.
The 160 would have been a better choice. Better attraction power with a color that appeal mostly to big bass equals better results
My 2 cents.

PS: Its a shame that they don't do a 250 size.

Senko28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senko28 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 am

They are coming out for this Fall a size 200 :D =D>

yosemite17
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yosemite17 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 am

I like black lures(buzzjet/s-waver) in that size early in the morning when the water is smooth as glass.

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:31 am

Black is also a good color for very clear water. On pike and trout at least...

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
I would say low light conditions or murky water.

My preferences go to bigger sizes and this plays a very important role also.
The 160 would have been a better choice. Better attraction power with a color that appeal mostly to big bass equals better results
My 2 cents.

PS: Its a shame that they don't do a 250 size.
I'd have to agree with Carlos here as well and add that night time fishing opportunities would also be good applications.

Black is a great swimbait color for topwater and subsurface techniques because of the profile it creates against the sky for fish below it. Also, the larger the bait, the greater the profile of the bait and the greater the drawing power of the bait for bass below it (e.g. a smaller bait fished on the surface or subsurface will look pretty small to a bass hanging in the deeper water. For the bass it creates a choice for it of wasting it's energy repeatedly to get the little bait, and subsequent smaller baits to get a full belly or wait for a much larger bait to come by and having to only expend that same energy once instead of multiple times to get a full belly.)

Night time fishing creates another opportunity for using black swimbaits because of the dark profile they create as a topwater or subsurface bait presentation, especially when the Moon is present.

Black sinking baits wash out in murky and dingy water, and especially in cloudy, night time and low light situations. (I use light colored sinking swimbaits (white "albino" is a good alternative) under these conditions so they can be visually tracked by bass after the bass have first located the bait using their lateral line systems in the lower light conditions).

Just my $.02.

Tim

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:21 am

My swimbait brothers Carlos and Native nailed it.

200 mm is just shy of 8" so that is pretty sweet, even though I wouldn't mind it a little bigger. I think the S-waver is such a great bait if for no other reason than availability and price (plus they do get bit). I could totally see an 8" version costing around $20