Koppers changes the game

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Koppers changes the game

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am

GARRIGA wrote:I give them credit for thinking outside the box but I tend to place more value on fish like movements than visual pop. I also believe hungry bass eat just about anything resembling food once it's near their big mouth. Usually the tendencies of an opportunistic feeder.
Yes.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:24 am

Maybe it's just me but if the intent is to mimic multiple 'baitfish', why wouldn't they use a more realistic looking baitfish instead of multiple lures mimicikng baitfish? Not sure my question is making sense but, it looks like a lure mimicking multiple lures instead of a lure mimicking multiple baitfish. :doh:

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:20 am

I can so tell how a meeting must have gone at koppers about a year ago. "Guys all that's selling right now are those damn urig. We're not making them, we're not making jig heads or swimbaits. We're missing out on all the action right now. People I want ideas I don't care how stupid it is, we'll make it pretty and it will sell. Heck we might even get one of those icast award next year"
" hey how about me make the same crankbait as everyone else 'xcept we paint not one bait fish but 3 ... Or more, should work"

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 am

Fbass wrote:I can so tell how a meeting must have gone at koppers about a year ago. "Guys all that's selling right now are those damn urig. We're not making them, we're not making jig heads or swimbaits. We're missing out on all the action right now. People I want ideas I don't care how stupid it is, we'll make it pretty and it will sell. Heck we might even get one of those icast award next year"
" hey how about me make the same crankbait as everyone else 'xcept we paint not one bait fish but 3 ... Or more, should work"
The way I understood it, they're not painted. I think it's actually 3 small 3d-looking fish inside a clear crankbait

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:23 am

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 am

I don't know what's up with koppers but they seem to win an Icast every year but I still did not heard of a very effective bait from them! This is a mystery :lol:

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:Lol, check this out:

http://thebbz.com/articles/2013/7/12/be ... y-the-fool
cmon out of all the bullshit that has always run deep in fishing marketing, especially at Icast, THIS is where the author decides to draw the line? Puuuuulease...
I swear some people think more along the lines of communism than they'd like to believe...like we need manufacturers to only decide and give what we truly NEED.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 am

I have done well with the Kopper's Live Target frogs...but no other experience with their other lures.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 am

I tried their rattle trap type baits and wasn't impressed. Rather throw the red eyes. Do like the frogs and how they dance but used those sparingly so not sure. They do look real but more to please my eyes than the bass I target.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 am

Yep, like my original post states...

IF, the quality and action (read effectiveness) is on PAR with the looks.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:37 am

Not too sure about this one. It sure doesn't appeal to me. Count me in the crowd who has a very hard time believing that this will actually appear to be multiple baitfish to bass when fished. :^o
Last edited by bassbandit on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 am

I would not get a Koppers crank when they came out, the same thing for Lucky Craft, I convinced that a highly detailed finish on a crankbait wasn't required and for the most part it is true but there is something to it. I got a Koppers shallow diving bluegill crank in matte finish, not the square bill but the first bluegill crank, it has flat sides and looks like a bluegill, and the flat sides with the shape of the lip make it swim frantic, it swims like a bluegill and in the waters I fish, once the bluegill start spawning there isn't a single crank on the market that can out fish it but it is at that specific time. So based on that along with my 30+ years of trying all sorts of stuff I now look at my tackle as tools and each one has a job, the Koppers Bluegill I got out of just plain curiosity and I had just enough left on a gift card to get one and now I have 6 or 7 and I think this bait ball thing might work, it may be a niche type bait that works at specific times or in certain situations but I made the mistake of writing things off too quick a lot and this is one I'm going to get on board right from the start.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am

smalljaw wrote:I would not get a Koppers crank when they came out, the same thing for Lucky Craft, I convinced that a highly detailed finish on a crankbait wasn't required and for the most part it is true but there is something to it. I got a Koppers shallow diving bluegill crank in matte finish, not the square bill but the first bluegill crank, it has flat sides and looks like a bluegill, and the flat sides with the shape of the lip make it swim frantic, it swims like a bluegill and in the waters I fish, once the bluegill start spawning there isn't a single crank on the market that can out fish it but it is at that specific time. So based on that along with my 30+ years of trying all sorts of stuff I now look at my tackle as tools and each one has a job, the Koppers Bluegill I got out of just plain curiosity and I had just enough left on a gift card to get one and now I have 6 or 7 and I think this bait ball thing might work, it may be a niche type bait that works at specific times or in certain situations but I made the mistake of writing things off too quick a lot and this is one I'm going to get on board right from the start.
I've got my fair share of fairly realistic baits too, and although I haven't bought any other Koppers baits, they look nice. I am this will probably catch fish. What I question is whether it will truly catch more fish than other baits because of it's unique "baitball" look. However, I'll be eager to see.

lil_man72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lil_man72 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:13 am

Anybody have any input on these after fishing them?
Im thinkin about giving them a try just wandered what the feedback is so far...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 am

lil_man72 wrote:Anybody have any input on these after fishing them?
Im thinkin about giving them a try just wandered what the feedback is so far...
I bought a whole bunch of them. I have to wait until ice out. I'm thinking about getting rid of some. I got too many of them.