Vision 110 question

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Vision 110 question

Post by kegger37 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 pm

I fish jerkbaits a lot, and it's one of my favorite techniques to use. I mostly fish for smallmouth in rivers, but I'll throw a jerkbait anytime, anywhere I can. Up to this point, I have really only used X-raps, Husky Jerks, McSticks, and RC STX's. I've decided that it's time to take the plunge and pull the trigger on a few Vision's. I've pretty much made up my mind on the colors, but I am curious about the split ring on the nose of the bait....or lack of one. From what I understand, the Vision, doesn't come with a split ring on the nose, so my question is, what is everyone doing? Do you tie a loop knot, are you adding a split ring, if you're adding, what brand holds up best, and are you using round or oval split rings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Vision 110 question

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm

kegger37 wrote:I fish jerkbaits a lot, and it's one of my favorite techniques to use. I mostly fish for smallmouth in rivers, but I'll throw a jerkbait anytime, anywhere I can. Up to this point, I have really only used X-raps, Husky Jerks, McSticks, and RC STX's. I've decided that it's time to take the plunge and pull the trigger on a few Vision's. I've pretty much made up my mind on the colors, but I am curious about the split ring on the nose of the bait....or lack of one. From what I understand, the Vision, doesn't come with a split ring on the nose, so my question is, what is everyone doing? Do you tie a loop knot, are you adding a split ring, if you're adding, what brand holds up best, and are you using round or oval split rings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
They come with circle rings.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm the same as you, I do a lot of river smallmouth fishing and jerkbaits are almost my favorite bait, second only to the spinnerbait. That said, I really prefer the STX in my rivers because they are extremely rocky and I have witnessed first hand, along with seeing a ton of complaints on how fragile the 110's are when it comes to the lip material, they seem to break easily. Now according to Megabass the problem has been solved, I think, or perhaps the Megabass enthusiast have claimed the lip is more durable now but whatever, it is supposed to be better. I have a few and yes, they are a great jerkbait but they aren't mystic, there are certain times when there is nothing better to throw, but I've had the same days with every jerkbait I throw as one thing I can tell you is that most jerkbaits have their own triggering qualities. The Rogues have a roll like no other, LC Pointers vibrate on the pause, X-Raps have a wider side to side action, and the Vision 110 has its own unique action that will be awesome some days and others a different bait will work just like every other bait. I am not trying to discourage you but I thought if you fish in rivers, if they are as rocky as mine are, then the STX may be a better bait as it has a similar action and you can break 3 to get to the cost of 1 Vision 110.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:24 am

I had a batch that did not come with split rings in front. They were supposed to and if you called MB, they would send you them. I used an owner oval split ring instead as they are my favorite. I also fish rocky lakes in Maine for SMB and occasionally bump a rock or boulder. I have not broken one yet although there are many who have. SMB tear them up during prespawn. I would definitly pick a couple up and compare them to what your using now.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:54 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
kegger37 wrote:I fish jerkbaits a lot, and it's one of my favorite techniques to use. I mostly fish for smallmouth in rivers, but I'll throw a jerkbait anytime, anywhere I can. Up to this point, I have really only used X-raps, Husky Jerks, McSticks, and RC STX's. I've decided that it's time to take the plunge and pull the trigger on a few Vision's. I've pretty much made up my mind on the colors, but I am curious about the split ring on the nose of the bait....or lack of one. From what I understand, the Vision, doesn't come with a split ring on the nose, so my question is, what is everyone doing? Do you tie a loop knot, are you adding a split ring, if you're adding, what brand holds up best, and are you using round or oval split rings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many new ones don't. Match the size ( can't remember off the top of my head which it is) and buy the lightest you can. You can always add weight to make them suspend...but you cannot take it away.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:32 am

steve1206 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
Many new ones don't. Match the size ( can't remember off the top of my head which it is) and buy the lightest you can. You can always add weight to make them suspend...but you cannot take it away.
wierd.... never seen any without rings from 2013...i'm talking hundreds.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:44 am

They may be putting them back on now. I actually use mostly older straight eye versions, and, yes, they always came with one. I have quite a few from the last 3 years or so that came without nose split rings..

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:00 pm

You don't have to use a split ring if you use a snap. If it comes with a split ring I always remove it. I noticed, most 110's I ordered from Japan, came without split ring.