Beginner Jerkbait

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Beginner Jerkbait

Post by kegger37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm going to jump on the X-rap band wagon. They are reasonable on price, yet they will catch anything that swims. Here in Northern Iowa/Southern Minnesota I have tons of success with silver and blue back or silver with black back.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 am

teamshrink wrote:I've heard that jerkbaits are one of the hardest techniques for beginners to learn.
TS

Don't believe everything you hear! The hardest part of jerkbaiting is developing your patience. There are good articles on the subject all over the web. If you're going to learn a new job you'll be less frustrated starting with good tools... buy a Lucky Craft Pointer 75 and LC Slender Pointer 97 and fish them where the bass are. Unless you have your own confidence color, start with Ghost Minnow.

oe

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm

teamshrink wrote:I've heard that jerkbaits are one of the hardest techniques for beginners to learn. Is there one you'd recommend to get started with? How would you fish it?

TS
Like stated, not necessarily so. The first hardbaits I learned to fish back in the early 80s, in several different manners, from floating to sinking, were Rapalas...all balsa.

Same techs apply to the myriad of offerings today.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 am

Don't forget squad minnows and pointers.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 pm

I like the RC Stx and X raps.
fairly inexpensive and they catch fish.
Also if you lose one, you don't feel like crying about it.

RazorCat
Angler
Angler

Post by RazorCat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

Smithwick Suspending Rogue or XPS Minnow

Nektarios
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nektarios » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 am

If you are just starting out go with the X Rap
I have thrown jerkbaits on baitcaster and spinning reels, what set up are you planning on using them on?
A little slack in your line will help give the bait more action too!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 am

Jerkbaits are really very easy to use. I use them all year long, especially in the salt.Winter time is a little more difficult because you really have to slow down. Just a twitch here and a twitch there with a long pause in between. Summer time I rarely ever pause moving it very fast ripping my rod like crazy making it look very erratic. I like Lucky Craft Flashminnow 95 and Rapala x-rap 08 in the summer and Jackall Squad Minnow 95 and Lucky Craft Silent Pointer 95 in the winter. The Silent Pointer has really been amazing, love the shape of it. Other than that, just get it in front of some fish and they will bite it, they usually can't pass it up. I don't have much luck with the xrap in the winter because it is designed to dart side to side a lot and this may be to much when it gets cold.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am

IMO Jerkbaits are some of the easier baits to fish and one of the best at loading the boat quick; once you figure them out. When the bite's good, there aren't many baits that can catch fish as fast as a jerkbait. I personally would recommend getting good baits right away; if you don't mind spending the money. There are MANY good baits and you don't have to spend a lot of money; but I truly feel the best jerkbaits on the market are Lucky Craft and Megabass. This isn't based off internet talk, this is based off of years of fishing. When I go for a jerkbait, it's usually one of the following; depending on the depth. In no order, LC Pointer 78, LC Pointer 78 DD, LC Staysee 90 Ver. 2, Megabass X80 Trick Darter, Megabass Ito Vision 110 or 110 High Float; and Rapala Countdown CD7. Those are the ones I use the most and really all I need. If I had to, I could probably just go with the LC Pointer 78DD, LC Staysee 90; and Megabass Ito Vision 110. Those baits do most of my damage. They are worth every penny to me and I can't begin to tell you how many bass I've caught on them over the years. You don't need a lot of colors either, so it's not like you need two of each bait. If your water is even somewhat clear, just get Ghost Minnow for the LC baits and some natural shad pattern for the Megabass. If you want to save a few bucks, the Lucky Strike RC STX is a good alternative, but I do feel the Ito is better.

Fish them erratic, play with the retrieve, different pauses, longer, shorter; etc. Sometimes you can't work them fast enough. If you can, it helps to fish them on the right rod. Will be easier to fish them on a good rod if you can get one. Something like a 7' M or a graphite crankbait rod is a good choice.

The hardest part about jerkbait fishing IMO, is the effort it can take to work them right for long periods of time. If you've never done it before; you will get sore. Your arms will get tired. After a few days of doing it though; it will be nothing.

Awesome baits! VERY fun to fish!

8-)