Megabass Xpod Jr problem?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Megabass Xpod Jr problem?

Post by kakaryan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:44 pm

I recently got a xpod jr, tried it on last Sunday and I was a bit disappointed.

First, I couldn't fully close its lip (position #1), as it kept popping back to position #2.

Secondly, it floated but IMO it didnt float enough. Everytime I twitched it, it dived down a little bit (~10cm) and I couldn't make a normal walk the dog or popping action, no matter I pointed the rod tip up or down, or changed the lip position.

I was using braid and a 1.5m 20lb flouro leader. I dont think my line is too heavy to kill its action. Besides, I was fishing brackish water, whereas the lure should be more float than in freshwater.

Any thoughts?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Xpod Jr problem?

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Use mono...

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Mono or all braid would be better. The leader sinking will not give the best results. Make sure to use a clip I like the owner ones or a split ring.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

So a 1.5m flouro leader is really too heavy for that bait?

But other much smaller pencils and poppers such as Sammy65 still work fine.

And could you all close your xpod jr's lip to the #1 position?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:00 pm

I noticed different cadence/walking ability with fluoro leaders (its harder)- with the xpodjr and the Giant dog x- I attributed it to my tendency to have a lot of slack line when I WTD technique- compared to mono. The jaw should stay in position

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm

I agree with the others regarding your leader, better to ditch the fluoro altogether.

I have 2 xpod jrs and both didnt want to stay in position 1. I was able to sort of force it to stay up after playing with them for a while, kind of a disappointment :?

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:11 pm

AJ- makes another point that I believe is also helpful for WTD well - the attachment to the bait. I use a loop or floating knot to connect to these type of baits -
I have not tried clip ons- but should i guess- since it could help in changing out baits faster

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Really good baits like that are precision balanced, I got 2 yellow magic poppers off a guy for $5 bucks each as he said they didn't work right and sort of wanted to go under the water a bit. I tried them and they were awesome so after another discussion I ended up getting my money back and giving him his yellow magics back, he was using them with a 2' fluorocarbon leader and when he used the mono leader it was a big improvement. So get rid of that leader or change it to mono and I think it will work better for you.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 am

Thanks guys. =D> I ll try mono leader or even straight through mono and see how it goes.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:48 pm

kakaryan wrote:Thanks guys. =D> I ll try mono leader or even straight through mono and see how it goes.
or straight braid.