Best Daytime Topwater Colors for Clear Lakes

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Best Daytime Topwater Colors for Clear Lakes

Post by Backlash Picker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Hello.

I fish a fairly clear lake with little structure except weedlines, some weedy flats and a few docks. I want to improve my topwater fishing. Here is my question: When fishing topwaters on clear water in the day, when do you throw the following colors:

1) Bone or white

2) Chrome

3) Clear or "ghost"

I'm thinking of poppers, walking baits, prop baits or wake baits.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Best Daytime Topwater Colors for Clear Lakes

Post by Heronimo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 pm

clear water and sunlight make for wary fish. Throw natural or subtle colors. Chrome might be too bright. I fish clear water reservoirs, 20+ feet of visibility with little to no cover for fish. I mainly throw ghost shad colors or silver (not chrome). Fishing for smallmouth, largemouth and trout. Bone would also work. Remember, you don't need anything with heavy rattles or loud splashes if water is clear, less is more in my experience.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

Heronimo wrote:clear water and sunlight make for wary fish. Throw natural or subtle colors. Chrome might be too bright. I fish clear water reservoirs, 20+ feet of visibility with little to no cover for fish. I mainly throw ghost shad colors or silver (not chrome). Fishing for smallmouth, largemouth and trout. Bone would also work. Remember, you don't need anything with heavy rattles or loud splashes if water is clear, less is more in my experience.
You would think a chrome would be too bright but it isn't and is a killer color. I fish a lot of clear water for smallmouth and we used to kill them on a Zara Spook in nickel, but we would have to buy the saltwater spooks because they didn't make the regular ones in that color so we would switch out the hooks. Now they make it in the super spook and more importantly the super spook jr. which is fantastic. Anyway, nickel is great when it was clear and sunny but the thing was it worked when there was a little breeze to create a mild chop on the water, when it was dead calm and it was bright and sunny, it was clear or blue shore minnow which was a ghost type pattern but clear did work best. Bone is a great anytime color but it was better under cloudy skies and the same deal for white.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 am

Chrome will actually mirror as much, if not more, than actually reflecting sunlight...black chrome, blue chrome are classic colors for high sun and clear water in my book.

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 am

dragon1 wrote:Chrome will actually mirror as much, if not more, than actually reflecting sunlight...black chrome, blue chrome are classic colors for high sun and clear water in my book.
X2!

I fish a deep Clearwater reservoir. My all time favorite is Black Shiner! Heddon has a discontinued color that was absolute magic! Besides that, I also have the Florida Bass, Foxy mama, and if you have Trout, the "One-Knocker" in Pearl Melon!

When the bite gets tough on Topwater due to no wind, I use a Megabass Giant Dog X (in a Japanese color, I think M-cosmic shad, that's shiny as well) that has produces tons of still-water strikes!

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:10 am

So do most guys fish a shiny bait in bright sun compared to using clear baits. Good to know because I was about to order a few clear baits. But chrome or ghost might be more versatile.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:40 am

Most of the time I fish clear water lakes, with 90% spotted bass population and blueback herring as a predominant forage. I used to think the ghost type colors should be better for topwaters or shallow running jerkbaits in those conditions, now my experience says - flash better attracts spotted bass from deep water up or when they schooling next to the surface.
Largemouths might be different story...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:36 pm

For clarification, a finish like the American Shad on an LC lure creates a lot more flash, than a flat chrome finish that is found on say a Zara Spook (or even a foil finish like on the OG Rapalas).

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:05 am

Backlash Picker wrote:So do most guys fish a shiny bait in bright sun compared to using clear baits. Good to know because I was about to order a few clear baits. But chrome or ghost might be more versatile.
I only have one Translucent bait (which was the Pearl Melon One Knocker that I mentioned). I feel that no fish looks ever looks clear with the sun out overhead. I believe anything topwater should cast a shadow! I rarely use the translucent bait that I own.

Besides that, as long as the chrome has side scales or something so that it isn't just a torpedo shaped mirror, works for me. On calm days they don't work as well though. That's when the Giant Dog X really "shines" ;)

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:05 am

Bassfever wrote:
Backlash Picker wrote:So do most guys fish a shiny bait in bright sun compared to using clear baits. Good to know because I was about to order a few clear baits. But chrome or ghost might be more versatile.
I only have one Translucent bait (which was the Pearl Melon One Knocker that I mentioned). I feel that no bait looks ever looks clear with the sun out overhead. I believe anything topwater should cast a shadow! I rarely use the translucent bait that I own.

Besides that, as long as the chrome has side scales or something so that it isn't just a torpedo shaped mirror, works for me. On calm days they don't work as well though. That's when the Giant Dog X really "shines" ;)
Last edited by Bassfever on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Backlash Picker
Angler
Angler

Post by Backlash Picker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:13 am

This is totally valuable info. Thanks for the help.

Backlash