Original Rapala Floater

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Original Rapala Floater

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone target Smallmouth with an original Rapala floating minnow in silver/fluorescent yellow? I know it seems old school but thought it (or the jointed and countdown) might work with smallies being attracted to chartreuse. Any thoughts or am I out on a whim with so many great baits on the market? Thanks!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Original Rapala Floater

Post by smalljaw » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't use that one but I do use a Bagley Bang-O-Lure in Chartreuse crayfish on white, I know it sounds strange but that is what they call it. I never saw that color on an original floater but I can tell you that the chartreuse on that type of bait does work but the water has to have some color to it but still have plenty of visibility. The Bang-O-Lure I use for river smallmouth will work until the water gets gin clear, at that time more natural finishes work better along with anything chrome.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 pm

I use F-5 and F-7's on the Delaware and other rivers when water is low and clear to target smallies. Can't be beat. I use the silver/chartreuse color you referenced along with the white/chartreuse. My favorite color is the Vampire color, discontinued, but can be found if you look around.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:00 am

Besides the Original Floater, another killer smallie bait is the size 6 Flat Rap. It floats and only dives about a foot…it casts better than the Original Floater too. They run about $10 each but if you have a Gander Mnt. near you, check there…They have had them in a bargain bin for under $5 this entire year.

Another good Rapala is the Team Esko. It's a Countdown body but it floats and it has a shallow running lip…these are hard to find. I discovered them in the bargin bin at a local Scheels. http://www.lureshop.eu/rapala/team-esko.html

Don't overlook inline spinners like a Mepps or Blue Fox…these are fantastic smallie baits too.

fishbone
Angler
Angler

Post by fishbone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Don't forget the jointed originals! Not the best casting lure, but the action is killer. The updated colors are sexy too.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:16 pm

I used to catch loads of smallies on the jointed (brocken back) rapala minnows. The two favourite colours were silver black back and the chartreuese. These were the first lures I used as a kid 40 years ago apart from in line Abu spinners. :D Were my favourites as they would not snag and therefore less chance of loosing them. :D But I don't really use them much anymore although I still have one in the boat. Really must try them again.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Yes yes yes, OG Rapalas are killer! I always liked the J-7 and J-9 in the natural black back silver side and the chartreuse, those were the two colors. My childhood friend used to say, "Chartreuse produce" whenever he hooked one on that color. Jointed versions were my personal favorite but we used the straight 7 and 9 a lot too. Deadly technique is to dead stick a straight version. That bait looks really good giving it little twitches on the surface.

That's a trip down memory lane for sure.