Favorite Lipless for fishing grass?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Favorite Lipless for fishing grass?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14 am

Hey guys,
Looking for everyone's opinion on the best lipless crankbait for fishing in grass in the winter. We have been doing well on the Lucky Craft LVR D series and LV 500 but looking to see what else is available. We are mainly fishing hydrilla and coontail with a little milfoil mixed in. Baits that haven't worked good are Spro Aruka shad and Jackall TN60/70. These baits like to get caught up in the grass way to much with the head down way these baits run. Others have had good luck with these baits but haven't found where they fit in. So what do you think? Thanks
-Jeff

Ham Solo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite Lipless for fishing grass?

Post by Ham Solo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am

My favorites are the DUO Realis G-Fix Vibration Tungsten or DUO Realis Vibration. Both are very narrow and come through the grass with ease.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Ham Solo wrote:My favorites are the DUO Realis G-Fix Vibration Tungsten or DUO Realis Vibration. Both are very narrow and come through the grass with ease.
Ill second that one...the Vib68 or the vib62...G fix is just a heavier bait if you need it to get down faster...
I smoked them on the Vib68 on KY lake around the grass this year and with its super thin profile it came through the grass nicely..

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:29 am

I've always been a big Bill Lewis fan myself.

RipN-Lips
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RipN-Lips » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 am

Xcaliburs are pretty much the only lipless I throw anymore...can't beat em for the price

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:29 am

Megabass Vibration X Ultra, Spro Aruku Shad, Team Daiwa, Jackall and Duo Vib 68 are my main lipless
Last edited by cndbasshunter on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:49 am

I have found baits with a rounded back to cut the grass better when ripped free as opposed to baits with a larger flat area on the back. And I prefer a bait to run more horizontal instead on nose down. They dont dig into the grass head first and engulf the bait, hooks cut grass better than the diving plane on the nose of the bait.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep them coming. The Duo cranks are definitely at the top of the list right now, they seem perfect with the thin shape for ripping the grass off, very similar to the LVR D series. How does the Vibration-X come through the grass?

Socalcranker: I agree, great way to describe it. Got any good suggestions?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 am

I love throwing the Xcalibur one knockers, something about the sound of those getting ripped off of grass gets big fish to hit. The new Rapala Rippin Rap is starting to become a favorite for grass fishing as well, I haven't spent enough time with it yet but the little bit I did it showed me that a high pitched rattle can catch fish off grass just like the one knocker.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:04 am

JB,

I will try and get some pics together tonight of differnt baits and sizes.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:09 pm

RipN-Lips wrote:Xcaliburs are pretty much the only lipless I throw anymore...can't beat em for the price
smalljaw wrote:I love throwing the Xcalibur one knockers, something about the sound of those getting ripped off of grass gets big fish to hit. The new Rapala Rippin Rap is starting to become a favorite for grass fishing as well, I haven't spent enough time with it yet but the little bit I did it showed me that a high pitched rattle can catch fish off grass just like the one knocker.
Ditto on the Xcaliburs, esp the one knocker...good components and hooks, runs straight and you can find them for under $3 each at times. I like the larger available sizes, esp the 1oz sizes.

lilmule
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lilmule » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 pm

On Ky lake the Lucky craft in American shad,redeye shad and one knockers in chrome n blue,or sexy shad.
Have experimented with other baits recently the Tater hog hard fluke,working it just above the grass,and have had good results.
One bait left out that works in that space between the top and actual grass is a lipless floating rattletrap often overlooked by many.

stalking coyote
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stalking coyote » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:11 pm

socal cranker wrote:JB,

I will try and get some pics together tonight of differnt baits and sizes.
Yes, SoCal .. show us some pics please ?

jakob1010
Angler
Angler

Post by jakob1010 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

XCalibur and Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap. That's about it. Bill Lewis was a lure genius. Lipless crank has to be my favorite class of lure.

yosemite17
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yosemite17 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:58 pm

L.C LV-500 in Clear Lake Hitch @ Clear Lake,CA