Megabass S Crank

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass S Crank

Post by M Perry » Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 am

Personally I think the secret gill color is my all time favorite gill pattern from and brand. I have already begged to get it added to the other MB bait lineups.... :D

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 am

It is cool. I need to get my hands on some of these, TW has two on backorder for me... That Baku Gill JDM Limited color really pops as well. I buy baits with that color just due to the color, thanks Megabass :lol:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:19 am

In all my crankbait testing, the smaller baits will have better action(more erratic, hunting, wilder deflections, etc).

Haven't fished one yet but looking at it, I'm guessing the hunting action is due the the ball/weight in it shifting side to side.
I was wondering when someone was gonna do that in a mass produced bait :D

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Just got some 1.2 and 1.5's in the other day. Can't wait to get them wet. I'll update the status.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 pm

iliketofishman wrote:Just got some 1.2 and 1.5's in the other day. Can't wait to get them wet. I'll update the status.
Mine showed up today. Getting a workout Saturday!

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:35 pm

I lost 2 swimming over a log! Caught 3 smallies though. I don't know if I'm excited I caught fish on the lures ir that I actually landed all 3.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:07 am

iliketofishman wrote:I lost 2 swimming over a log! Caught 3 smallies though. I don't know if I'm excited I caught fish on the lures ir that I actually landed all 3.
so do they not deflect off cover well?

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:10 am

I don't know if it was suppose to deflect the way I was expecting to. I cast it past a log and it was probably already 3-4ft under the surface already then it tried to go over a log about 1ft under the surface. Now thinking about it, it was a dumb move. I am new to cranks/squarebills so deflecting off structure is still foreign to me. Should've thrown my Stirkekings over the log instead LOL!!!

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 am

I just replaced hooks on some of my other cranks. Looking at the S Crank, the front hook closest to the bill is much larger than the back hook. Not sure if that could cause to snag more. I didn't replace the hooks though on the MB lures. Gonna test them out first to see how effective is the design.

Anyone have insight as to why this is like this?

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:56 pm

iliketofishman wrote:I just replaced hooks on some of my other cranks. Looking at the S Crank, the front hook closest to the bill is much larger than the back hook. Not sure if that could cause to snag more. I didn't replace the hooks though on the MB lures. Gonna test them out first to see how effective is the design.

Anyone have insight as to why this is like this?
I think that the front hook is a 1/0 size, where the back is a size 4... After 2 trips and multiple fish with this crank, I'll have to say that its deflection capabilities in the weeds are not as good as my 6th sense 50x squarebills. At the same time, it's gotten me a lot of bites if you pay attention and snap the weeds off.

I ended up replacing the back hook to a size 2 - I might think about replacing the front hook to a size 2 as well to see if it goes through weeds better.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Awesome baits and the quality you would expect from Megabass. Have several of the 1.5s and adding some 1.2s in the near future.

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:55 am

With the 1.5, went to size 2 trebles for front and back - bait instantly became much better at cranking through weeds.

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I'll try switching to size 2 KVD short hooks.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 am

389Maverick wrote:
M Perry wrote:
The series has been such a hit that you might see more colors added to the lineup.
Wish I could get my hands on this one now! :big grin:

Have a couple in this and a few other limited edition colors coming to me. There are 8-10 JDM only colors that we may end up seeing in limited release with MB of America. Maybe 4 or so will get released here in the fall.