True Wake Baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
sorrychow
Angler
Angler

Re: True Wake Baits

Post by sorrychow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:05 am

Tavery5 wrote:Not sure if the Deps Buzzjet meets your definition of a crankbait style wake bait, but they wake very nice at a steady retrieve, and can also be worked a number of other ways.
I love the Deps Buzzjet. The Jr. size is a fish catcher and the full sized Buzzjet, from my experience catches quality. If you are looking for a wakebait, this is a good one to get but it's kind of expensive.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:00 pm

I got to try one of the Storm Arishi Wake baits. They wake pretty well even at faster speeds. Tend to shoot out to the side every now and again. Don't know if this is intentional or a flaw. :lol: Didn't catch anything but the conditions weren't ideal for wake baits.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:57 am

I have the old Duel/Yo-Zuri hardcore shad crank wake. However I haven't wet it yet. I did use and old Yo-Zuri wake minnow but it swims under about 6" unless rod tip held high.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:27 pm

Bassmar wrote:I got to try one of the Storm Arishi Wake baits. They wake pretty well even at faster speeds. Tend to shoot out to the side every now and again. Don't know if this is intentional or a flaw. :lol: Didn't catch anything but the conditions weren't ideal for wake baits.
That blowing out to the side means it is unstable and that is the one knock I have on the Arashi Wake Crank. I like it, don't get me wrong, it does work but I use it for slower retrieves in stained water. I took advantage of the TW day 10 deal and grabbed up some Yo-Zuir 3DB wake baits and looking at the bill and the size of the baits I'm betting these are going to have to be run slow or you will have to keep the rod tip high in order to keep it up at a faster speed. It doesn't mean it isn't going to be killer, it have end up have a distinctive sound or vibration that draws strikes, I won't know for a while but it is nice having some different options.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Thank you to everyone on this thred! I tried a mann's waker and fell in love. Just got a handful of unused ones for a good price on ebay.

The large profile and the knocking sound is killer. I believe these are the saltwater versions due to the hooks.
IMG_20160107_53490.jpg
IMG_20160107_53490.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 6243 times

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:44 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:Thank you to everyone on this thred! I tried a mann's waker and fell in love. Just got a handful of unused ones for a good price on ebay.

The large profile and the knocking sound is killer. I believe these are the saltwater versions due to the hooks.
IMG_20160107_53490.jpg
Yep, they are the tidewater ones and the only difference is the hooks and color patterns. I'm still amazed that these didn't sell well enough that the had to be discontinued. Clear water I like Aurora Black and American Shad and stained water I like winter craw, or rootbeer chartreuse but Texas Sunrise is also killer. Good luck.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:22 am

Surprised no one put in a word for THKO Custom Lures wakebait! I've caught quite a few fish with it.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:56 am

cortman wrote:Surprised no one put in a word for THKO Custom Lures wakebait! I've caught quite a few fish with it.
That bait looks really cool as well. I was thinking of a feathered treble on the Mann's.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:17 am

cortman wrote:Surprised no one put in a word for THKO Custom Lures wakebait! I've caught quite a few fish with it.
Thanks man!
Been a great Wake bait for a ton of guys the last year or so... 8-)

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:10 am

Jackall Mikey jr is my favorite wake, with mono and a normal retrieve it stays on the surface.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:51 am

+ 1 for the Deps Buzzjet.

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:39 pm

I like the megabass baby griffon zero. Though have become harder to find.

wiel0059
Angler
Angler

Post by wiel0059 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:36 pm

I didn't see it mentioned but could have missed it... I've done very, very well the past few years on a Rapala DT Fat 1.

My current go-to wake bait is from a custom painted company a buddy told me about last summer called Hoffmann's. I only got to use them in August and September (live in WI) but had the best results to date on a wake bait. Here are his wake baits: http://www.hoffmannslures.com/product-c ... ake-baits/

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:49 am

Not exactly a crankbait style wakebait but I"ve had a lot of luck lately on the Rapala BX balsa wake bait. It is 5 1/4 inches and weighs 3/4 oz so it casts great. Usually use buzzjets ,roumbas, and ms slammers. I wanted something a little different and this fills the bill. Just another good option.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:22 am

I usually fished the DT wake with short casts and rod tip help high if I want to fish very shallow or surface, but in a crankbait style. But my favourite is now the LC wakebait. With the jointed body, it seems to be more geared toward a slow slither rather that a quick retrieve, which I finally figured out a few weeks ago on Rondeau Bay on Lake Erie. Long bomb cast with the glass rod made loading up from a distance interesting, considering how slow the bait was retrieved. Switching to a long graphite rod next time. I used Ghost Minnow during the day and American Shad in lower light. Would love a black one for night time, might need to get out the spray paint.
The strikes were savage, and at one point thought I had my PB largemouth on. Turned out to be a big ole bowfin. Still fun.
Oh, change the stock hooks. They suck.