Another copy cat product company

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Another copy cat product company

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 am

http://castaicswimbait.com/product-category/bd-series/

I guess Clunn and Duckett don't have any original ideas, unlike Mr. Ito or Mr. Bucca.
Anyone fish the "BD Shad?"

I wonder how people get away with imitations that are this obvious?
Last edited by zodiak311 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Another copy cat product company

Post by smalljaw » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 pm

The entire industry is copy cat, ask Andy Poss about his Alabama rig, or Gary Yamamoto about the Senko. I think there needs to be changes in patent laws but it is so expensive to even get a patent that a lot of companies just don't. The other thing is sometimes we end up with a better than original products but not always. I've encountered guys complaining about Luck-E-Strike copy of the Vision 110 who then order the Megabass Wild Header, well isn't that a direct copy of the Chatterbait? What I usually hear is that it is better and isn't exact but it is still a copy and the argument can be made that the RC STX isn't exact as it uses different hooks and suspends while the 110 comes as a slow riser or a hi-float, so it matters how you see it. The fact is that we all all guilty of supporting some kind of knock-off, and it is very hard to avoid because all these products will evolve to the point you lose track of the original. Case in point, who made the first spinnerbait? Or one that I know, what kind of buzzbait is your favorite? If you don't use the Lunker Lure, well you are guilty of fishing a direct copy no matter what tweaks have been made because the truth is black and white, most of what we see and use are knock-offs and if you need further proof, just ask everyone what their favorite stick worm is, then ask the same people who makes their favorite grub, if you find 10 people who say they only use the GYCB Senko and the Mister Twister grub I'll be shocked because most anglers I know that use just a Senko will not have a single Mister Twister grub in their arsenal, and that is the point, we all fish some type of knock-off, some copies are closer than others but if you look, you'll find a difference.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:39 am

Castaic started with the creation of some of the original swimbaits, but they obviously have not continued in that direction.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 am

smalljaw wrote:The entire industry is copy cat, ask Andy Poss about his Alabama rig, or Gary Yamamoto about the Senko. I think there needs to be changes in patent laws but it is so expensive to even get a patent that a lot of companies just don't. The other thing is sometimes we end up with a better than original products but not always. I've encountered guys complaining about Luck-E-Strike copy of the Vision 110 who then order the Megabass Wild Header, well isn't that a direct copy of the Chatterbait? What I usually hear is that it is better and isn't exact but it is still a copy and the argument can be made that the RC STX isn't exact as it uses different hooks and suspends while the 110 comes as a slow riser or a hi-float, so it matters how you see it. The fact is that we all all guilty of supporting some kind of knock-off, and it is very hard to avoid because all these products will evolve to the point you lose track of the original. Case in point, who made the first spinnerbait? Or one that I know, what kind of buzzbait is your favorite? If you don't use the Lunker Lure, well you are guilty of fishing a direct copy no matter what tweaks have been made because the truth is black and white, most of what we see and use are knock-offs and if you need further proof, just ask everyone what their favorite stick worm is, then ask the same people who makes their favorite grub, if you find 10 people who say they only use the GYCB Senko and the Mister Twister grub I'll be shocked because most anglers I know that use just a Senko will not have a single Mister Twister grub in their arsenal, and that is the point, we all fish some type of knock-off, some copies are closer than others but if you look, you'll find a difference.
Absolutely , agree with your post. I am no inventor, and don't know much about patents. Isn't there a certain time period that a patent lasts until a product can be copied? That way the original inventor can reap the benefits?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:36 pm

smalljaw wrote:The entire industry is copy cat, ask Andy Poss about his Alabama rig, or Gary Yamamoto about the Senko. I think there needs to be changes in patent laws but it is so expensive to even get a patent that a lot of companies just don't. The other thing is sometimes we end up with a better than original products but not always. I've encountered guys complaining about Luck-E-Strike copy of the Vision 110 who then order the Megabass Wild Header, well isn't that a direct copy of the Chatterbait? What I usually hear is that it is better and isn't exact but it is still a copy and the argument can be made that the RC STX isn't exact as it uses different hooks and suspends while the 110 comes as a slow riser or a hi-float, so it matters how you see it. The fact is that we all all guilty of supporting some kind of knock-off, and it is very hard to avoid because all these products will evolve to the point you lose track of the original. Case in point, who made the first spinnerbait? Or one that I know, what kind of buzzbait is your favorite? If you don't use the Lunker Lure, well you are guilty of fishing a direct copy no matter what tweaks have been made because the truth is black and white, most of what we see and use are knock-offs and if you need further proof, just ask everyone what their favorite stick worm is, then ask the same people who makes their favorite grub, if you find 10 people who say they only use the GYCB Senko and the Mister Twister grub I'll be shocked because most anglers I know that use just a Senko will not have a single Mister Twister grub in their arsenal, and that is the point, we all fish some type of knock-off, some copies are closer than others but if you look, you'll find a difference.
Absolutely agree =D> Let he who has never used a knock off, cast the first stone. :lol:

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Great post. It really is hard to tell which is the original unless one does his research diligently before buying. Ultimately, most people buy based off of economics- the lowest price will always win.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 am

ibobpeb wrote:
Great post. It really is hard to tell which is the original unless one does his research diligently before buying. Ultimately, most people buy based off of economics- the lowest price will always win.
There is a lot of costs that go into creating a patent. To make a design "lock tight" from copycats is going to cost a lot of money and time that goes into making the patent that way isn't cost effective. Imagine paying $14 a bag for GYMCB Senkos because they have to make up money they spent in the patent process.

Let the best company win.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:51 pm

ccass wrote:Imagine paying $14 a bag for GYMCB Senkos because they have to make up money they spent in the patent process.
Yamamoto had to pay Gene Larew a lot in royalties for using salt in his plastic--Larew held the patent for that development.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm

SLM wrote:
ccass wrote:Imagine paying $14 a bag for GYMCB Senkos because they have to make up money they spent in the patent process.
Yamamoto had to pay Gene Larew a lot in royalties for using salt in his plastic--Larew held the patent for that development.

And I think it is safe to say they got a pretty good return on investment. :roll: :lol:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:16 am

Cabelas has a new jerkbait that looks to be inspired by some other lures as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ ... type%3DGNU

DaveJ

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Cabelas has a new jerkbait that looks to be inspired by some other lures as well.

DaveJ
That Perch color... Oh boy...

pitchinjigz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by pitchinjigz » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:52 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Cabelas has a new jerkbait that looks to be inspired by some other lures as well.

DaveJ
That actually looks really good.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:24 am

I plan to try a few of the Cabelas jerks up on Lac Seul this coming June.

http://www.lacseuloutposts.com/

Supposed to be a great lake.

DaveJ

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:04 am

That Perch color... Oh boy...[/quote]

That one got me too, I hope they get to my local store before summer.