Prop Tops

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Prop Tops

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:15 pm

Looking for some new prop baits.. MB makes the X Plose and i haven't tried it but there are some others out that appear pretty good. What are you top 3 Prop baits? Looking to try some new things this summer

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Prop Tops

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:54 am

I think you'll have a tough time finding many more besides Duo, Lucky Craft, and Megabass simply because they are a niche bait. These baits require the user to find schools of suspending fish in clear water and they clearly work better with light rods and reels which you find to be more northern style. Even where I live in PA, the only place really suited for using them is the great lakes area, so for a lot of anglers they are just too specialized.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:46 am

Are you looking for topwater prop baits or spy baits?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:24 am

Randingo wrote:Are you looking for topwater prop baits or spy baits?
Prop baits..
bagley makes some and they are not too much but i was looking for others.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:23 pm

goldrod wrote:
Prop baits..
The Megabass X-plose is a spy bait and mentioning that I thought that is what you were looking for. For topwater props there are a lot of good ones at every price level. The Bagley Bang-O-Lure Spin tail is a killer, the fact that it dives when you rip it gives it a sound that mimics the sound of fish feeding on the surface, a couple casts and it starts drawing strikes or follows. The Yo-Zuri 3DB Prop is another wicked prop, it has a plastic blade with UV treatment that I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I know it doesn't hurt. That is a high end bait that is modestly priced. There are so many that are great it isn't funny but I'll tell you that like a lipless crank, most of the prop baits have their own sound but they all pretty much run the same with the major difference is how much disturbance they put out.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:37 am

smalljaw wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Prop baits..
The Megabass X-plose is a spy bait and mentioning that I thought that is what you were looking for. For topwater props there are a lot of good ones at every price level. The Bagley Bang-O-Lure Spin tail is a killer, the fact that it dives when you rip it gives it a sound that mimics the sound of fish feeding on the surface, a couple casts and it starts drawing strikes or follows. The Yo-Zuri 3DB Prop is another wicked prop, it has a plastic blade with UV treatment that I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I know it doesn't hurt. That is a high end bait that is modestly priced. There are so many that are great it isn't funny but I'll tell you that like a lipless crank, most of the prop baits have their own sound but they all pretty much run the same with the major difference is how much disturbance they put out.
Thank You for correcting me. I was wrong in the mb bait, been looking at their lines lately and should have paid closer attention.
Prop baits in Florida are very effective esp around pads. I had a guy i'd fish with from time to time drag a heddon torpedo on braid next to the pads and it would get killed so I thought I'd expand my topwaters and get a few baits.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 am

Devil's Horse, Heddon Torpedo, Dep's Buzzjet all very popular.

susQbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by susQbassman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:58 am

IMA HeliPs prop bait.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:42 am

Lucky Craft has 3 good ones: Splash Tail, Wake Tail, and the Kelly J. The Ima HeliPs is another nice one in the wide body style. The X-Rap Prop is also solid.

Deaknh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Deaknh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Jackall cuprap

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:57 am

Imakatsu devil ripper is awesome, bigger lure, but the action is very nice.
I-Loud is another favorite, Buzzjet is a no brainer.

Always wanted to try the Amigo (Lucky Craft) but never got around to place an order.