Topwater popper question

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Topwater popper question

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:13 am

Is there a popper similar to the Pop X and Pop Max that makes that bloop and gurgle sound? I'm looking for something that weighs in between those two baits, right around 3/8 Oz. Seems most other poppers have more of a splash effect. I have both Megabass poppers but at times in certain situations I find myself wanting a 3/8 Oz version.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Topwater popper question

Post by Randingo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:34 am

I find I can bloop the Rio Rico pretty easily, although its forte is spitting.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:25 am

Randingo wrote:I find I can bloop the Rio Rico pretty easily, although its forte is spitting.
Copy that. I'm going to pick one of those up along with one of the Duo 64s.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:13 am

The Duo Hacker Slaver Chug makes a nice bloop sound. I think they are discontinued but you can find them on eBay. I've got a couple and Ive never caught anything on them butI've only used them one time. I do know a guy that has caught bass on them. I weighed one of mine and it weighed just under three eights of an ounce
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 5805 times

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:09 am

It looks like Duo Realis and Castaic/Boyd Duckett have poppers in a claimed 3/8oz. size that may fit your needs. TW has both.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:10 am

I ordered 2 Duo 64s to give a go. Also ordered my 1st Spybaits. Let's see how long it takes me to get them hung on the bottom of the lake.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:56 pm

My father in law gave me a couple Creek Chub Knucklehead Jrs. I think they weigh over an ounce. Took them out tonight and had a good size smallie blow up on it. Too bad the hooks are old and worn. Buh bye. Anyways, talk about a bloop! This thing slaps the water and calls it names :lol:

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:39 am

John G wrote:The Duo Hacker Slaver Chug makes a nice bloop sound. I think they are discontinued but you can find them on eBay. I've got a couple and Ive never caught anything on them butI've only used them one time. I do know a guy that has caught bass on them. I weighed one of mine and it weighed just under three eights of an ounce
I need one!

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SouthArkFishin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:52 pm

Academy Sports house brand H2O Express has a 1/4oz popper that I really like. The reason I mention it is because to me it fishes bigger than a Pop X. Even though they weigh the same it has a larger profile, I can cast it further, and it has a bigger presence in the water. Caught a lot of fish on it too. If you can't find a 3/8 you like the H2O is worth a look.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 am

Last season I got to spend a lot of time with a Yo-Zuri 3DB popper, it is a killer popper right at 3/8oz. The bait has a traditional cupped mouth but near the top is a small indent sort of like a mouth inside the mouth. What it does is the bait isn't tail weighted like most poppers, it sits level and so a sharp downward rip will give it a nice pop with a deep ploop type sound. and it you use fast, short rips the popper walks the dog better than the Storm Chug Bug, and the small secondary cup inside the mouth causes it to spit water forward while walking the bait, my favorite popper for the last 2 seasons.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 am

I wound up ordering a Yo Zuri 3DB popper and a Duo 78 for starters. The Yo Zuri didn't quite do it for me regarding the pop and plop. The Duo on the other hand sounds like a gun shot. More plop for your pop than the Pop X, and it casts like a bullet. Haven't caught but one dink on it, but I haven't put down the paddle tails long enough to fish it much.