Weight Transfer System Stuck

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Weight Transfer System Stuck

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 am

I’ve got a number of lures with this reoccurring problem, including topwaters, jerkbaits and crankbaits. The rattle/ball slides to the back and gets stuck which messes up the lure action. Only happens this time of year, and I think it has something to do with the difference in air vs water temp. Anybody else ever had this happen, and was there anything you were able to do to fix it?

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Weight Transfer System Stuck

Post by Reservoir » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 pm

I’ve never heard of this happening before. And some of my lures are pretty old and abused.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Not that it is really stuck. Just a good twitch and the ball bearings would come back.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Hmm...Just this week I figured out why my Gancraft Rest 108SP (Vision 110 equivilent) was casting like a balled up paper towel. It was just the opposite, the magnet at the front was not letting go of a couple of balls very easily. Haven't had it back out since, but figured I would just have to sling it harder to get the balls to the back of the bait. We will see.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Reservoir wrote:I’ve never heard of this happening before. And some of my lures are pretty old and abused.
It is a weird problem. I have 4 lures that have done this, 1 older Daiwa SP Minnow, and 3 Lucky Craft Flash Minnows. It doesn’t happen to all of the ones I own, seems to be only the ones I used during the fall season this year.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:56 pm

slipperybob wrote:Not that it is really stuck. Just a good twitch and the ball bearings would come back.
Really stuck. I’ve flicked it, tapped it on the table, smacked it against the table :lol: they aren’t moving.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Hmm...Just this week I figured out why my Gancraft Rest 108SP (Vision 110 equivilent) was casting like a balled up paper towel. It was just the opposite, the magnet at the front was not letting go of a couple of balls very easily. Haven't had it back out since, but figured I would just have to sling it harder to get the balls to the back of the bait. We will see.
These weight transfer systems are sooo nice when working properly, but they can cause some headaches. Hopefully they let go for you, don’t want to let that bait sit around! These still cast well, but don’t stay down when twitched. Extra weight in the tail causes them to run straight to the surface.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Have you tried putting them in a bit of hot water to expand the plastic (and air inside) just a bit. Do it with caution though...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Maybe a tiny bit of salt water got in and then left salt crystals which are blocking the balls from moving. If the chamber is tight enough, this could cause what you're describing. Not sure how water would get in, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
slipperybob wrote:Not that it is really stuck. Just a good twitch and the ball bearings would come back.
Really stuck. I’ve flicked it, tapped it on the table, smacked it against the table :lol: they aren’t moving.
Wow, that's unheard of, but plausible. So are these weight and chamber visible? Like they are for sure stuck in the chamber? Where even putting a magnet to pull them wouldn't work?
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am

y2k88 wrote:Have you tried putting them in a bit of hot water to expand the plastic (and air inside) just a bit. Do it with caution though...
Good idea, I’ll try some hot water next. Tried using a heat gun very briefly, and in and out of the freezer a few times but it didn’t help.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Maybe a tiny bit of salt water got in and then left salt crystals which are blocking the balls from moving. If the chamber is tight enough, this could cause what you're describing. Not sure how water would get in, though.
That has definitely happened before, after a lot of hard use they cracked at the front hook hanger. Usually see some streaks of rust inside the bait when this happens, but haven’t seen any so hoping this isn’t the case. Gonna double check now though.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:08 pm

slipperybob wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wow, that's unheard of, but plausible. So are these weight and chamber visible? Like they are for sure stuck in the chamber? Where even putting a magnet to pull them wouldn't work?
These are Pearl Ayu colored so can’t see directly through them, but when held up to the light, I can see one of the balls stuck in the tail. Other ball still rolls free. Not sure what they are made out of since I tried an old speaker magnet and it didn’t even draw the loose ball to it. Might just need a bigger magnet.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks guys for all the ideas, really appreciated. Definitely an annoying problem that I hope no one else has to deal with. Gonna try some of these things and if nothing works will contact the companies and see if they will help. If not we may be drilling some holes and repainting :doh:

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:59 pm

If you're prepared to drill, just drill a hole with the smallest bit you have underneath the stuck ball and just push it free with the bit or needle. Epoxy the hole afterwards. Would be pretty inconspicuous.