Hard Swim or Glide Baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hard Swim or Glide Baits

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:33 am

1, Are they the same or do you consider them different due to the action?

When do you prefer a glide over a swimmer ?

I haven’t caught one fish on a hard swimbait and I’m not willing to invest more than $60-ish on one. I would like to find one that works will especially in this cooler weather. What do you suggest?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hard Swim or Glide Baits

Post by fishes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:26 pm

Im not super big into swimbaits/glidebaits but one of my fishing buddies is, so im not the expert but this is my experience in asking him questions. I would start with the s-waver, they are proven fish catchers and you can throw them on like a frog rod or heavy jig rod.

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hard Swim or Glide Baits

Post by Baik » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:42 pm

S-wavers are a great place to start, very affordable and readily available pretty much anywhere.

All hard swimbaits are fished differently and some require you to impart the action while others have action all on their own. You can break hard swims down to 3 categories: glide baits like S-Wavers, lipless baits like Triple Trouts, and then your lipped baits which are usually wake baits but some can be cranked down to a couple feet as well.

Glides take a lil longer to learn to fish and to get your cadence down to give the bait a nice side to side glide. I'll burn them occasionally but mostly fish glides when the water is cooler and the fish are a lil more lethargic.

Lipless baits, like the Triple Trout, I'll burn and pause. I fish these when the water is warmer and the fish are more active and want to eat.

Lipped baits, IMO, can be fished all year. Depending on the bait you can wake it, pause it and twitch it on the surface, and you can even crank some of these big baits down a few feet.