Lucky craft issues

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Lucky craft issues

Post by FishEastCarolina » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Venting here, purchased three lightning pointers. From what I read they should suspend. All three of mine float. I called lucky craft to see what I should do. They said I should take them back to the retailer. If they won’t take them then I can call back. Why should my local shop be out of three more baits because they sent out defective baits?
I asked what happens when my local shop doesn’t take them. She said I would send them in to be evaluated on my dime. The agent never would say what my options would be if they were defective. I’m being slightly irrational because I’m upset at my baits not doing what I need.

Long story short, where should I put lead tape on these things to get them to suspend and not mess up the action.

I’ve already spent too much on these things to spend the cost of another one sending them back. And potentially paying return shipping if they disagree with me.
new day the same way

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Lucky craft issues

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Most suspending baits are designed to suspend in 50-60* water. Most sp baits will float at higher water temps.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Suspend rate is often affected by water temperature too... The warmer the water, the more tendency the bait will have to rise instead of suspend I think is how it goes... I could have that reversed. :lol: I think the lead tape route is the sensible approach to take. I usually tape on the underside approximately where the belly would be if it were a bait fish. Usually means straddling the front hooks some depending on the type of lead tape you have.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 pm

In my experience, most “suspending” jerk baits do
not suspend without considerable modification.
I usually test them in the kitchen sink and add an
extra split ring to one or more hook hangers
as needed, and/or change to a heavier hook or hooks.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

The more and or less saline waters affect the suspension. It would be immensly hard for a manufacturer to edit a lure for all coastal waters of the world.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 am

FishEastCarolina wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:46 pm
Venting here, purchased three lightning pointers. From what I read they should suspend. All three of mine float. I called lucky craft to see what I should do. They said I should take them back to the retailer. If they won’t take them then I can call back. Why should my local shop be out of three more baits because they sent out defective baits?
I asked what happens when my local shop doesn’t take them. She said I would send them in to be evaluated on my dime. The agent never would say what my options would be if they were defective. I’m being slightly irrational because I’m upset at my baits not doing what I need.

Long story short, where should I put lead tape on these things to get them to suspend and not mess up the action.

I’ve already spent too much on these things to spend the cost of another one sending them back. And potentially paying return shipping if they disagree with me.
Take them back to the retailer as suggested. They wont be out of pocket if they are an authorized dealer.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 am

This feels like a throwback to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84507 :)

Water temperature, water composition (salt and even mineral content), line type and line diameter all affect whether a jerk bait actually suspends. I don't expect mine to do so out of the box because it's a near-impossible feat - I expect a "suspending jerkbait" to be close enough to where I only need to make small modifications to get it to behave on a given day. (Or just switch between different ones with different characteristics to avoid on-the-water mods.)

This is a video about crank modification, but I feel you can glean some info on jerkbaits, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQ5ZPMArqQ You might also look into different hook sizes and brands (with different weights) to modify the behavior, often a little bit does a lot. You can get a high precision scale on Amazon for $20 or so to get the weight of hooks down to the thousandth of an ounce.

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:58 am
This feels like a throwback to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84507 :)

Water temperature, water composition (salt and even mineral content), line type and line diameter all affect whether a jerk bait actually suspends. I don't expect mine to do so out of the box because it's a near-impossible feat - I expect a "suspending jerkbait" to be close enough to where I only need to make small modifications to get it to behave on a given day. (Or just switch between different ones with different characteristics to avoid on-the-water mods.)

This area could be really warm water, but the bait was coming up to the surface like a squarebill. I and going to experiment with lead tape or wire on the middle hook.

This is a video about crank modification, but I feel you can glean some info on jerkbaits, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQ5ZPMArqQ You might also look into different hook sizes and brands (with different weights) to modify the behavior, often a little bit does a lot. You can get a high precision scale on Amazon for $20 or so to get the weight of hooks down to the thousandth of an ounce.
new day the same way

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 am

Agree, they do float now instead of being suspend.
Every LC bait (Pointer 78, Slender Pointer)I bought in last two years float.
Old ones suspend perfectly.
Even in winter time when temp ~50F or so they float when I checked my new LC baits last time.
Also, I noticed the old ones a little heavier.
Scale old LC if you have one and compare to the new one.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Cracker wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 am
Agree, they do float now instead of being suspend.
Every LC bait (Pointer 78, Slender Pointer)I bought in last two years float.
Old ones suspend perfectly.
Even in winter time when temp ~50F or so they float when I checked my new LC baits last time.
Also, I noticed the old ones a little heavier.
Scale old LC if you have one and compare to the new one.
This is 100% true. LC jerkbaits have huge variance in weight and most float, some like corks.

Duo and MB are much more consistent bait to bait.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 am

I carry size 4 and 6 Mustad KVDs and 4 and 6 Owner st-36. With those hooks, I’m able to tune any Pointers to suspend in any conditions. All the opinions on changing the action is overblown and have never seen a negative affect on my catch rate. Thing is, sometimes they want a slow float, sometimes they want a slow sink, and other times a perfect suspension. Never set in stone. Those hooks cover everything and then just let the fish tell you what they want. I actually prefer a floating jerkbait as it gives you the ability to upsize hooks. Fishing bayous down here get interesting when you go from saltwater at the mouth, brackish in the middle, and freshwater all the way in the back.

Surprised no one brought up the fact that even 110s float most of the time. It really is a non issue if you teach yourself how to tune for the conditions.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 am
I carry size 4 and 6 Mustad KVDs and 4 and 6 Owner st-36. With those hooks, I’m able to tune any Pointers to suspend in any conditions. All the opinions on changing the action is overblown and have never seen a negative affect on my catch rate. Thing is, sometimes they want a slow float, sometimes they want a slow sink, and other times a perfect suspension. Never set in stone. Those hooks cover everything and then just let the fish tell you what they want.
I think it becomes more important in cold water, as the fish are more lethargic. In warm water conditions it's often a non-issue, especially when you don't need to pause much between rips.
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:47 am
Surprised no one brought up the fact that even 110s float most of the time. It really is a non issue if you teach yourself how to tune for the conditions.
Agreed, we were slaying them on Clear Lake this week on rising 110s. But I think they floated due to the fact the factory can only tune them to one set of specific conditions, and we're usually in a different set. We had an early morning (late) summer bite this week. In the dead of winter, when the jerkbait is asked to sit there for 10 seconds or so between rips, I like one that's so finely tuned that it doesn't move. Can only do that tuning on the water, though - if you tune them at home in the tank, the conditions are different than cold winter water.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 am

Lucky Craft should take care of you either way. I didn't read the whole thread but what is the temp of the water you are fishing??
Philippians 4:6