Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any Good Newer Topwater Lures?

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 am
The CAST Fishing Company "OG" in particular has been amazing. Figuring out how to fish it is part of the fun because its so different. I've caught them on their "Down Under" as well, but that OG is an absolute blast and can cover some serious water.

The reintroduced Reaction Innovations Vixen is also great to see back. I've done well with the new version after years of being a hard core user of the original. Bone, Lush, and a few new colors will be in stock at The Tackle Trap on Monday morning Sept. 26 including the long awaited chrome bait that looks incredible...

So,can I order at like 12:01 am midnight, this Monday and these will be in stock?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:06 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm
So,can I order at like 12:01 am midnight, this Monday and these will be in stock?
They will be in stock and shipping first come first served on Monday morning. Probably sometime around 10am eastern give or take an hour or two. The website will be updated accordingly. Thank you!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:06 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm
They will be in stock and shipping first come first served on Monday morning. Probably sometime around 10am eastern give or take an hour or two. The website will be updated accordingly. Thank you!
Muy Excelente!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 pm

It's funny. The Vixen is also an old lure. I didn't know they discontinued it. I had hard time telling the difference between the Vixen and the Repo Man. :lol:

BTW, I still use the Repo Man, sometimes.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:30 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:38 am
The CAST Fishing Company "OG" in particular has been amazing. Figuring out how to fish it is part of the fun because its so different. I've caught them on their "Down Under" as well, but that OG is an absolute blast and can cover some serious water.
Never heard of this, so thanks. I watched the video, and looked like it moves like the TD Pencil or the Tiemco Red Pepper, except it's bigger. Interesting for sure. The dude in the video was saying "there was nothing like this." I disagree, except for the size.

If you like the OG, you should try the Daiwa TD Pencil from 30 years ago. You can still buy them on eBay. It can do whatever you want it to do, walk fast, pop, dive, walk under the surface, jump out of the water like a shad..... It's a classic like the Zara Spook to me. It can stay in the same spot for very long time, too. When you're pretty sure a bass is there, just pop, dead stick, pop, dead stick, and the fish will eventually bite. It only moves a few inches, when you pop.

The dude in the video also mentioned about the salt water lure. The TD Pencil is also popular among the salt water guys.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm

MK49 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:30 pm
Never heard of this, so thanks. I watched the video, and looked like it moves like the TD Pencil or the Tiemco Red Pepper, except it's bigger. Interesting for sure. The dude in the video was saying "there was nothing like this." I disagree, except for the size.

If you like the OG, you should try the Daiwa TD Pencil from 30 years ago. You can still buy them on eBay. It can do whatever you want it to do, walk fast, pop, dive, walk under the surface, jump out of the water like a shad..... It's a classic like the Zara Spook to me. It can stay in the same spot for very long time, too. When you're pretty sure a bass is there, just pop, dead stick, pop, dead stick, and the fish will eventually bite. It only moves a few inches, when you pop.

The dude in the video also mentioned about the salt water lure. The TD Pencil is also popular among the salt water guys.
I've owned and used the TD Pencil for a long time, don't know about the Red Pepper however. The CAST OG is nothing like the TD Pencil. It's not a walking bait, it's a burning bait with unique qualities. Launch it and burn it back while pointing your rod at the bait, it will slightly dive and wobble, stop it and it bounces to the surface and bobs, burn it again. I've fished behind guys, in front of guys, who were throwing all sorts of top water baits and this thing has an amazing and unique effect on the fish, very effective for me. They simply haven't seen anything like this and act like it.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:55 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm
I've owned and used the TD Pencil for a long time, don't know about the Red Pepper however. The CAST OG is nothing like the TD Pencil. It's not a walking bait, it's a burning bait with unique qualities. Launch it and burn it back while pointing your rod at the bait, it will slightly dive and wobble, stop it and it bounces to the surface and bobs, burn it again. I've fished behind guys, in front of guys, who were throwing all sorts of top water baits and this thing has an amazing and unique effect on the fish, very effective for me. They simply haven't seen anything like this and act like it.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a very interesting bait.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:35 pm

I'm back to report that Yo-zuri 3DB Popper has been great in the last 2 weeks. I don't know how new they are, but I just bought it last month. So, it's new to me. :D

What's cool about it is it's not as loud as other poppers like Rio Rico and One's Bug. I think that's why it's been producing at my highly pressured lake.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:27 pm

I got one of the new z-man Hellraizors. It looks super funky and hope it’s one of those deals where they’ve never seen one and take a swipe. I’ve heard lots of good buzz on it too.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:44 pm

I'm the OP. I found two newer (relatively speaking) topwater baits that worked great in this summer. PH Custom Walkin P and Storm Arashi Cover Pop. I bought a PH Walkin P about a month ago, and it was the most productive bait in Aug. I started using the Cover Pop last week, I used it for less than a few hours in 2 days, and I got close to 20 bites. It walks great, and both the popping sound and the rattle isn't too loud, which is a good thing at the moment.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:50 pm

OK, I found another one. I bought a Yo-zuri 3DB Pencil Popper 110 last year. I didn't really use it much, because I used Evergreen Shower Blows, instead. A few days ago, I removed the feather hook on the Yo-zuri to see if it gets more bites. Sure enough, I caught 4 bass in 15min out of 6 bites. I just walked it really fast. Those bass were small (all less than 2lbs), but it was fun. :D The 3DB Pencil Popper sounds (I mean the rattle) pretty much the same as the Evergreen. The Evergreen casts a bit better, but the Yo-zuri is pretty good. They look pretty much the same, but they're different. The Yo-zuri glides side to side a bit more, but a little less spits/noise than the Evergreen. I think the color just worked that time/day. The one I used was pretty translucent.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:55 pm

MK49 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:44 pm
I'm the OP. I found two newer (relatively speaking) topwater baits that worked great in this summer. PH Custom Walkin P and Storm Arashi Cover Pop. I bought a PH Walkin P about a month ago, and it was the most productive bait in Aug. I started using the Cover Pop last week, I used it for less than a few hours in 2 days, and I got close to 20 bites. It walks great, and both the popping sound and the rattle isn't too loud, which is a good thing at the moment.
I'm replying to myself. As I mentioned I had about 20 bites in a few hours. Since then, I had zero bite on the Cover Pop. ](*,) I thought it's got to be the color. The original one was bluegill color. I ordered and received (today) another one that's more shad-ish color. Hope it will work. It's just weird that it worked really well for 2 days, and nothing for the last 4 trips. But, I guess that's how it goes. :lol:

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 pm

I found another one that worked, Deps Pulse Cod. It's not really new. I bought it about 10 years ago. I didn't like the sound that the spring thingy created. It sounds kind of like Boing lures, which don't get bites. I wanted a little bigger popper (1/2oz or bigger), so last week, I brought the Pulse Cod for the first time in 10 years. When the topwater bites died, I was bored, so I just threw the Pulse Cod without expecting a bite. I caught two bass in 10min or so. That's like after 30min without a topwater bite. I fished this morning, and bite died around 10AM. So, I just threw the Pulse Cod again. In a few casts, I caught one. I was actually surprised that it actually caught fish, after other topwater stopped getting bites.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:30 pm

MK49 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 pm
I found another one that worked, Deps Pulse Cod. It's not really new. I bought it about 10 years ago. I didn't like the sound that the spring thingy created. It sounds kind of like Boing lures, which don't get bites. I wanted a little bigger popper (1/2oz or bigger), so last week, I brought the Pulse Cod for the first time in 10 years. When the topwater bites died, I was bored, so I just threw the Pulse Cod without expecting a bite. I caught two bass in 10min or so. That's like after 30min without a topwater bite. I fished this morning, and bite died around 10AM. So, I just threw the Pulse Cod again. In a few casts, I caught one. I was actually surprised that it actually caught fish, after other topwater stopped getting bites.
I prefer the Buzzjet, and I have other poppers I like better. For more finesse purposes, I really like the Jackall SK Grande Pop, and the Raid Two Face. Subtle spitters that seem to get the job done in calm conditions when they don't want something loud and proud.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:28 pm

Not sure just how old this one is, but I had a fair summer on the Duo Popper 64. Just a smaller popper that seemed to get a ton of attention. I know the next one is off topic and a cheaper, also older option, but the newest Whopper Plopper 60 caught me flat out more topwater fish than any other lure. Panfish would hit it, 8" bass, 3lb bass, smallmouth, etc. Second would probably be the mentioned Duo 64 Popper then a Megabass Pop Max.