Split ring replacement for lucky craft 110 flash minnow for salt water use?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Split ring replacement for lucky craft 110 flash minnow for salt water use?

Post by oops » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:47 pm

Saltwater has finally beaten the split rings to death on a couple of my baits after all these years so I'm just gonna replace them on all my baits while I'm at it. The target is usually halibut and you never know when a 30+ inch model will show up. Also planning to put them to work for calicos this summer and I'd hate to lose a surprise yellowtail due to weak hardware so I'm definitely looking for something fairly beefy. I have a few hooks I've found that have worked alright for me over time but I'm clueless on split rings. I can look at hyper/ultra wire and see their pound strength but I haven't the slightest clue how that relates to my hooks, drag and pound test line

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Split ring replacement for lucky craft 110 flash minnow for salt water use?

Post by oops » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:05 pm

Forgot I posted a similar thread about snaps/split rings before going on a redfishing trip late last summer in another subforum here till just now and wish I had remembered sooner. Ended up buying hyperwire size 2 and ultra size 3. The hyperwire size 2s will definitely work sizewise and probably strengthwise but based on the feedback I got in my other post and just looking at them, there's no way they don't rust out pretty quick. The ultra size 3s are comically large for the bait, so I'll end up using them on something else.

On the plus side, I picked up some Owner ST46 tin 2X trebles out of curiosity to replace the stock I believe 3Xs that I really like on these baits and they look and feel pretty great. Need to get into some quality fish and try to bend them out now to see if they're actually any good though.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Split ring replacement for lucky craft 110 flash minnow for salt water use?

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:26 pm

oops wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:47 pm
I can look at hyper/ultra wire and see their pound strength but I haven't the slightest clue how that relates to my hooks, drag and pound test line
I'm a fan of the paper clip style snaps - right now using BKK Fast Snaps in size 1 or 2 for my saltwater jerkbaits - https://bkkhooks.com/product/fast-snap-41