Balsa Lures

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Balsa Lures

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:06 am

MK49 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:47 pm
MK49 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 pm
I found a new (to me) balsa topwater walking bait, PH Custom Walkin P. I just received it last week, have fished three times, and it caught more bass than any other baits that I used in the 3 trips. I'll have to buy some more, before they stop making it. It's really cool to find something good that's still in production, because I don't need to use my 20 years old favorite balsa waling lure, which is no longer available, as long as this new one keeps getting bites. :D
Guess what happened this morning. After hooking a fish, the snap broke, and lost PH Custom Walkin P, which had worked very well in the last few week. I ordered another one, when I got home. I didn't like losing it, but at least, I didn't lose my 20yrs old walker that I can't get anymore. :D

Excellent, great to read...

Also, what snaps are you using? Do you need to upgrade to stronger/bigger size or a whole different brand?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:07 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:06 am
MK49 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:47 pm
MK49 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 pm
I found a new (to me) balsa topwater walking bait, PH Custom Walkin P. I just received it last week, have fished three times, and it caught more bass than any other baits that I used in the 3 trips. I'll have to buy some more, before they stop making it. It's really cool to find something good that's still in production, because I don't need to use my 20 years old favorite balsa waling lure, which is no longer available, as long as this new one keeps getting bites. :D
Guess what happened this morning. After hooking a fish, the snap broke, and lost PH Custom Walkin P, which had worked very well in the last few week. I ordered another one, when I got home. I didn't like losing it, but at least, I didn't lose my 20yrs old walker that I can't get anymore. :D

Excellent, great to read...

Also, what snaps are you using? Do you need to upgrade to stronger/bigger size or a whole different brand?
The snap was Nishine #0. They are good snaps. I think it was an accident, or I used it too long. That said, I ordered Nishine #1 snaps, when I ordered another Walkin P. Five or six snaps have broke on me in my life (all different brands and sizes), and a few of them broke, when the fish jumped. Those fish I saw jumping were at least 7lbs. A snap broke, when a 10 pounder jumped once. Since then, when I expect bigger fish, I use super heavy duty snaps, rated at least 60lbs, especially in Mexico, but when I fish locally here in Northern California, I don't normally hook fish over 8 pounds, so I used the smaller snap. I think it's rated 26lbs, so it shouldn't have broken. It happens.

Last week, I received the 2nd Walkin P and the #1 snap. Guess what? On Friday, the line broke, when I set the hook. That was the 1st bite on the 2nd Walkin P. There were sticks, right by where the fish bit, so I guess the line broke, because of the sticks under the water. I was kind of pissed. ](*,) But, a few minutes later, I found the lure was floating on the surface, and I got it back. :D

BTW, the 2nd Walkin P is better, at least, it moves more like how I want. The 1st one was great, but I like the 2nd one better. After all, it's a handmade, and not all the balsa are the same. It happens pretty much with all the wooden lures.
Last edited by MK49 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:23 pm

One more thing about PH Custom. I bought a Walkin Splash, hoping it's a better version of my old favorite, Luhr Jensen PJ Pop. I was very disappointed. I don't recommend it, if you're looking for a walker. They really shouldn't put "Walkin" in the name. It does walk OK, but I know more than a few poppers that walk better, and they don't have "Walkin" in their names.

BTW, speaking of poppers that walk well, I found these walk great.

- Luhr Jensen PJ Pop (it's not really a popper, but walker.)
- Storm Arashi Cover Pop
- Lucky Craft S8 Popper
- Deps Pulse Cod
- Megabass Pop Max

Heck, even an old Heddon Chugger Spook walks as good as the PH Walkin Splash. I felt the Walkin Splash is too butt heavy, so I replaced the stock #4 tail hook with a #6, and it walked better, but it's definitely not a walker.

On Friday, both PJ Pop and 40+ years old Chugger Spook (and PH Walkin P) caught some fish. Not the PH Walkin Splash. I guess, I didn't like the way it walked, so I didn't give it enough time. After I went home, I felt like I didn't want to lose the 40+ years old Chugger Spook, just because... Then, I went through my tackle boxes, and found a Storm Arashi Cover Pop. I never really used it much, but I removed the feather hook, and put one without. This morning, I got a bite on the old Chugger Spook. So, I thought maybe, the Cover Pop might work. Sure enough. I got 5 bites in 15min or so. I really liked how the Cover Pop worked/moved. The Chugger Spook casts better, though. The difference is that I don't want to lose the old Chugger Spook, but I don't mind losing the Cover Pop, so I could cast it much closer or in to sticks.

I never felt like feather hooks were negative, until this year. I removed a feather hook on a PJ Pop long time ago, because it walked better without. I kept getting bites on it, but I didn't get many bites on anything with feather hooks, like Rio RIco, Gunfish, Shower Blows and many other poppers. Also, anything with rattles in is a negative thing this year, too. That's why I started using the Chugger Spook and PJ Pop (no rattles, no feather), which I hadn't used for a while. They do get bites. So, I started removing feather hooks on some other baits, and they worked better. It's funny how it goes. Maybe next year, I put feather hooks back. Who knows? :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:31 pm

Good stuff for sure...and better yet, have both type setups, one with and one without the rear treble feathered hook.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:48 pm

BTW, I fished for 2 hours this morning. Storm Cover Pop without the feather tail hook was great. I had a dozen of bites in the first hour. When the bites slowed down, I got carried away, and threw it into sticks, because most bites came around and by those stick. I thought it would come through all right, but the biggest fish of the day (looked like a 5 pounder) took it. I set the hook, and fish went to the sticks. There was no way I could get the fish, and I thought I was going to lose the Cover Pop. For the first 20 seconds or so, I felt the fish was still there. I waited a little longer, and I no longer felt the fish. I didn't think I was gonna get it back, but the 13lbs Sunline Defier (used as a leader) was strong enough. When I got the lure back from the sticks, I checked the line. Some part of the line felt like braided line, in other words, not smooth at all. Yet, it didn't break. When I got home, I put 19lbs Defier as the leader for the next trip. :D

Another good thing was that the weather was cool for the last 4 days (fished 3 out of the 4 days). And, today, fish were a lot more active. I saw many little bait fish jumping, and bass were chasing them. Unfortunately, it will get a little hotter again.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:35 pm

Built a little collection of balsa's the last 6 months since diving into trout fishing. I've added about a dozen more since this picture. (there is one plastic in the pic) All of them have seen water, at least to get them tuned, most have been fished. I don't even reach for the plastics anymore, there is a noticable difference in fishablility. I think I have around 15 different brands at this point. It's really interesting to learn the different actions of each and also which lure is right for which fishing scenerio, there are alot of variables. The nice thing about stream trout fishing is that your able to retrieve a stuck lure the majority of the time. I have lost a couple the past few months, it certainly makes you wince. Some of these are little works of art.
givemewood (1).jpg
givemewood (1).jpg (37.03 KiB) Viewed 1524 times