Best Topwater Lure of the Year, 2023

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best Topwater Lure of the Year, 2023

Post by MK49 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 pm

The topwater bites slowed down in the last 2 weeks, and I think it's the time to talk about the best topwater bait that caught more bass in 2023.

To me, it was Luhr Jensen PJ Pop from 1990s.

Followed by PH Custom Walkin P, Storm Arashi Cover Pop, Deps Pulse Cod, Heddon Spit n Image Jr and Meadow Mouse. Last year, they were Megabass Giant Dog X and Evergree SB, which I've used for many years. They didn't work that well this year for some reasons. Heck, Yo-zuri 3DB Pencil Popper, which looks and sounds like SB, even caught more fish than the SB this year.

I started a thread "topwater waling bait without rattles" on this forum earlier this year. That's when I remembered that I used to use PJ Pop in the late 90s. I still had four or five of them from the 90s. I started using it for the first time in 20 years or so, and it just kept catching fish.

I'd like to know what worked for you this year.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Topwater Lure of the Year, 2023

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 pm

Did best with the Shimano World Pop this year. It's a fantastic popper. Casts like a bullet, spits a lot of water, chugs and pops, consistent, flash boost. I think I might even like it better than my OSP Louder.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:00 am

I didn't keep track. :mrgreen: But I think I had to be the discontinued Yo-Zuri Bass Arms Swisher. Probably because I can stupid fish this lure more so.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:45 pm

The Shimano popper is the one I want to try, but I have, just because I have too many poppers. I'll try it next year.

BTW, the new poppers that I bought this year, and I didn't really like were PH Custom and Duo Realis. I should have bought the Shimano, instead.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:19 pm

I've had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish on the new 2023 Megabass Baby Pop-X BFS. Big bluegill, largemouth, smallmouth, and spots have all eaten it. Paired up with the P5 Pop-X Stick and the 23 Conquest BFS, loads of fun!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:03 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:19 pm
I've had a lot of fun and caught a lot of fish on the new 2023 Megabass Baby Pop-X BFS. Big bluegill, largemouth, smallmouth, and spots have all eaten it. Paired up with the P5 Pop-X Stick and the 23 Conquest BFS, loads of fun!
Interesting. Pop X is already super tiny, and I assume Pop X BFS is even smaller, right? I didn't think they make much difference, because the regular Pop X is already small, but I guess I was wrong.

One thing I like about the Pop X is that it casts very well for a 1/4oz popper. A thing I don't like about it is that the front hook catches the line like 75% of the time, if I use a snap. Otherwise, I would use it more. I just remembered this. The first Megabass lure I've ever bought was a Pop X, and it was around 1997. Back then, I don't think the front hook caught the line that much. I wonder why. I still have two Pop X from the 90s, so they're the same baits I used this year and 25 years ago.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:32 am

MK49 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:03 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:19 pm
Interesting. Pop X is already super tiny, and I assume Pop X BFS is even smaller, right? I didn't think they make much difference, because the regular Pop X is already small, but I guess I was wrong.

One thing I like about the Pop X is that it casts very well for a 1/4oz popper. A thing I don't like about it is that the front hook catches the line like 75% of the time, if I use a snap. Otherwise, I would use it more. I just remembered this. The first Megabass lure I've ever bought was a Pop X, and it was around 1997. Back then, I don't think the front hook caught the line that much. I wonder why. I still have two Pop X from the 90s, so they're the same baits I used this year and 25 years ago.
Yes, the new BFS version is 2" and 3/16 oz so it's shorter and lighter. It casts exceptionally well for such a small lure. I always direct tie so I have no issues with tangles. The other 23 new release Megabass Dog-X JR Coyau BFS has also been fun and productive for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:42 am

This is bigger topwater / wake bait territory, but I generated some big bites with the Megabass Gorham 147 this year. If you can find some skinny water where they're active, watch out and hold tight. They smoked it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:00 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:42 am
This is bigger topwater / wake bait territory, but I generated some big bites with the Megabass Gorham 147 this year. If you can find some skinny water where they're active, watch out and hold tight. They smoked it.
I just picked one of these up and am very excited to get it on the water under the right conditions. I love the way it swims and can see it getting smoked. Glad to hear it generated some big bites for you.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:08 pm

I fished this morning around 6:45. Started with PJ Pop, and got a bite right away, but didn't catch the fish. Then, no bite for 2hrs. I've tried jerkbaits, crankbaits, free rig, jika rig..... Nothing. So, I put the PJ Pop back around 9AM. I casted it parallel to a riprap bank, just outside of the stick line, which was about 3 feet from the bank. I casted the same way 3 times. I walked it slowly. No bite. I walked it even slower with pauses. No bite. I walked it a little faster, still slower than how I use it, when the water is warmer. A 4 pounder came up, and it was barely hooked, but caught it. I just thought it was interesting, because I casted and walked the same place 3 times. I wonder why the fish came up for the 3rd cast. The way and the speed that the PJ Pop was moving? The fish got upset? The fish just came to look at it from a little far, because I already casted there twice?

Then, no bite for the next 30min. I went back to the same riprap, but 15 yards from the last fish. I walked/popped Deps Pulse Cod very slowly. It's like "walk, walk, pause for 6 sec, walk, walk pause....." Another 4 pounder took it, and this time the fish was really going for it. The popper was completely in the mouth. Pulse Cod has been very interesting this year. It doesn't get lots of bites, but it does get bites, when nothing else gets a bite.

The topwater bites definitely slowed down, but I still get bites. I'm hoping they will keep biting for a few more weeks.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:49 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 pm
Did best with the Shimano World Pop this year. It's a fantastic popper. Casts like a bullet, spits a lot of water, chugs and pops, consistent, flash boost. I think I might even like it better than my OSP Louder.
I just watched a few YouTube videos of the Shimano World Pop. It looks and moves pretty amazing. Half the time, the way I use poppers is walk, walk, walk, pause..... Looks like this Shimano is perfect for that.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:33 pm

MK49 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:49 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I just watched a few YouTube videos of the Shimano World Pop. It looks and moves pretty amazing. Half the time, the way I use poppers is walk, walk, walk, pause..... Looks like this Shimano is perfect for that.
It absolutely is. Walks like a champ 👍

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:27 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:33 pm
MK49 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I received a Shimano World Pop today. I bought it, based on your recommendation and the way it moves in the videos I watched. I thought the flashing thing was just another gimmick. By looking at the actual lure, I started thinking the flashing metal plate could actually be effective. It moves a lot more freely that I thought. It keeps moving for 10 ~ 15 seconds, and I don't normally pause that long. Looking at the lure from the bottom, I can see the flashing plate moving, and I think fish sees it as if it's something alive or almost dead, and it could attract more fish from a little far. A very promising bait. I will test it next time, but most likely, I won't catch anything, until March.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:08 pm

MK49 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:27 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:33 pm
MK49 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I received a Shimano World Pop today. I bought it, based on your recommendation and the way it moves in the videos I watched. I thought the flashing thing was just another gimmick. By looking at the actual lure, I started thinking the flashing metal plate could actually be effective. It moves a lot more freely that I thought. It keeps moving for 10 ~ 15 seconds, and I don't normally pause that long. Looking at the lure from the bottom, I can see the flashing plate moving, and I think fish sees it as if it's something alive or almost dead, and it could attract more fish from a little far. A very promising bait. I will test it next time, but most likely, I won't catch anything, until March.
Indeed. I really like how easy it is to walk, but you can slow pop with a fair am spit.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Mine has been the H2O X Popper. Has a good feather rear treble, walks great, and spits good. I caught many Bass, redfish and speckled trout on it. And it's $4.49 every day (got mine when they were on sale for $2.99.) Next would be a Bone Spook Jr.