Help choosing a saltwater reel

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help choosing a saltwater reel

Post by Aerotus » Mon May 05, 2003 12:13 pm

Hi. I just order my kayak, so I will start using it to fish
in saltwater. What baitcasting style reels do you recommend
aside the Shimano Calcutta? thanks

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Re: Help choosing a saltwater reel

Post by maxilim » Tue May 06, 2003 8:41 am

Check out daiwa Millionaire series. Looks like the CV-X series (retails for $150) are selling like hot cakes on ebay. The 253 are excellent reels for saltwater but if you need more line you can look at the 300 series. They offer an optional power handle for the 300 series. Be warned, the 253 is offered in Magforce V anti-back lash system while the 300 is in centriflex. The Magforce V is a better system for those with backlash problems. If money is not an issue, look at the CV-Z. What a beautiful reel but you won't find these on e-bay :).

Check out full specs on Daiwa's website.

Just remember, if you hook a big marlin, you can have your own episod of Old Man and the Sea.
:lol:

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Tue May 06, 2003 10:47 am

Thanks.

Have you ever used the ones from TICA and Okuma?
Those are so much cheaper. Wonder how they stand up to
the harsh saltwater enviroments.

How about the Abu Morrum?

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Post by maxilim » Tue May 06, 2003 11:06 am

Abu Morrum... huh... $$$ :) There nice reels but pricey... I think you can get the millionaire CV-X253 on ebay for $80 new. Haven't tried Tica or Okuma but I'm sure google should help :)

Aerotus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aerotus » Wed May 07, 2003 3:21 pm

I have been looking at Okuma and TICA because they do a lot of OEM and I THINK the TICA Caiman might be the Morrum, but more bb's.
The chassis is exactly the same and the Caiman seems to feel good, at least when I played with one at the show.

troutman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by troutman » Thu May 08, 2003 10:23 am

If your are thinking about Okuma and TICA, you should check out the AVET reels, if you haven't already done so. They just came out with a new smaller SX model that is perfect for your needs. The reel is easy to clean and maintain, has an excellent free spool, plus a special bait runner option for live bait. The best part is that it's only $150 retail.

http://avetreels.com

Not affiliated with Avet, etc...