LTA 7'0" ML for Walleye rigging, too whippy?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

LTA 7'0" ML for Walleye rigging, too whippy?

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:44 am

Hi all. First new topic post. This offseason I plan on purchasing a new walleye rig rod. Have a great interest in the spin version of the rod mentioned in title; the 1/16-1/2 oz. rating is very attractive. Will be using for lindy rigs, split shot rigs, and smaller spinner rigs. I have heard that the LTA ML is too whippy and was wondering what your experiences are. I want a rod with a light tip, but with some backbone as well. Can this rod deliver that?

I spoke to Clifford about the action of this rod, and he assured me it was fast, the website also confirms this, but all of Kistlers brochures list this rod as mod-fast. Does anyone know about this as well, cause I definitely want a fast action for this rod. Also, has anyone used Croix's LT Lindy Rig rod? It is rated up to 3/8 oz., but was wondering how it handled stuff a bit heavier as well. Any info would be appreciated. -Thanks, Shaun.

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: LTA 7'0" ML for Walleye rigging, too whippy?

Post by splash » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:03 am

The ML's that I used seemed whippy to me but I've only used the baitcasters. It's my understanding that the spinning version is a little more towards medium than medium light. I use the 6'6" medium baitcaster's with a moderate/fast tip and they are a pretty fast tip. I don't think that you would be under powered in the applications that you listed. (the model numbers that I use are HE66MC & He2MC66)
Splash
Sponsors: Team Daiwa, Sunline,Dobyns Rods, Humminbird, Hobie Polarized, Minn Kota, SavePhace, Falcon Lures, SnagProof.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:08 am

Shaun

Can't comment on the specific Kistler as I really don't touch factory rods at all. And when I do, its usually a St. Croix or Loomis and I'm checking a specific blank out to see how it would be.

Take into account who made the "whippy" comment about the rod. Are they primarily a Bass angler? If so, I would suspect that comment from them. And then I would say you found a good candidate because Bass guys would think that tip is "whippy".

For Lindy rigging you want a nice soft tip. One that easily twitches when a Walleye takes your bait. It's finesse presentation, not a power presentation.

St. Croix knows a thing or two about Walleye fishing and that rod is an excellect choice. St. Croix is in the heart of Walleye/Muskie country unlike other rod manufacturers. They know a thing or two about designing rods for those fish.

For Lindy rigging I build a lot of 7' and 7'6" rods. Popular models are Loomis' HS9000, Loomis P8400, SJ842, St. Croix's 70MLF, 76MLXF. The LT Lindy Rig rod is built on the 4S70MLF blank.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

BillyBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BillyBass » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:16 am

GP,

Mattman is right about how us Bass guys view action, but, I have the 6'6" version of that rod, to me it was too whippy, the extra 6" would only exaccerbate that, however, that may be what you're looking for, I did shorten mine to get the desired action, now I can comfortably cast an 1/8 Oz jig/grub, without it wrapping up as I call it, also I've pulled in some fish in the 4Lb range with it, so it'll handle that much very easily.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks all for the info, I appreciate your time. I have yet to hold a Kistler; finally got a Cabela's near the neighborhood. Only about a hour or so, but waitin' for the holidays to be over first. I am definitley considering a Croix as well, the 70MLF in either SCIV or V. Matt if you toss me your email address, maybe we could figure out a custom order.

One of the reasons I'm considering the Kistler is because of the 1/16-1/2 oz rating. When I fish on my buddies boats we are limited on room, hence I can only take one riggin' rod. If I want to bump up to a 1/2 oz. weight or so I have to do it with a ML. Do any of you think exceeding the rating just a bit on the Croixs will make a difference? -Thanks again, Shaun.
Last edited by Gone Phishin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:51 pm

Personally, I'd rather cast a 1/8oz anything with a rod rated down to 1/4oz than try to cast a 3/4oz with a rod rated up to 1/2oz. Especially if that rod is a bit of a noodle to begin with.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:28 pm

I have both the 7' ML and the 7' M LTA Heliums. Yes, I'm a Bass fisherman and I too find the ML a little 'wimpy' although I have landed Bass up to 5 lbs with it.

I would go with the M(HE70MC) Helium as it would handle most of the sizes you mentioned if....you use a light-weight(8-10lb test) line. It is the most versatile of the 4 types of LTAs that I own.

Dan

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:54 pm

I fish a lot of bass and a lot of walleye, and have found that I prefer a walleye rigging rod to be a little softer than a typical bass rod. However, the ML LTA is way to soft for general walleye rigging, and would have a tough time at 1/2 oz.

...just my take on the 6'6" and 7' version of the rod.

Chuck

maxsmartinwi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxsmartinwi » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:42 pm

I have a 6'6" ml SCV St. Croix spinning rod. While casting I've noticed a big drop off is at 5/8 oz., 1/2 oz was still decent. I don't think you'll have any problem or lose any effectiveness of the rod with 1/2 oz, especially for rigging techniques.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:15 am

Wow, lots of great feedback all! Again I appreciate your time. Sounds to me like my first Kistler is gonna have to wait for a different time and technique, as I see another Croix in my future. \:D/ I live just a few hours from Park Falls and really love the opportunity to spread some dough around in my local economy. Now the only decision is to go for the LT or LE.

Just one more question for any of you blank buffs out there: do the SCIV Lindy Rig rod, 70MLF, and the SCV 70MLF pretty much have the same blank design and taper, just different graphite? -Thanks again, Shaun

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:36 am

Gone Phishin wrote: Just one more question for any of you blank buffs out there: do the SCIV Lindy Rig rod, 70MLF, and the SCV 70MLF pretty much have the same blank design and taper, just different graphite? -Thanks again, Shaun
The factory LT Lindy Rig rod is built on the 4S70MLF blank.

I haven't had the opportunity to have the 5S70MLF and the 4S70MLF side by side at the same time but I have built on both of them. They appeared to me to be the same, or very similar blank. Graphite and color being their only difference.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods