Your experiences with Bomber lures?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Your experiences with Bomber lures?

Post by Questor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:02 pm

I was reading the Bomber lure catalog and really like the way they give good descriptions of their lures' diving depth for both trolling and casting. The prices are reasonable. The designs look good. I think I'll try a few.

What has been your experience with Bomber lures?

promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your experiences with Bomber lures?

Post by promax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:08 pm

They are good i have a lot of older models not collectibles but 80,s 90,s models ive caught many bass with them i dont do much deep fishing im a shallow runner med depth guy the firetiger seems to catch a lot of bass for me between 1 foot and 5 foot when i do decide to throw it but all in all a good bait im comfy fishing it that whats most important about any lure.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:39 pm

Caught my first 6lb+ fish in May of 1984 (13 yrs old :D , what a great memory!) on a 7A bomber in spring craw pattern. Fish hit at sunset in Hayden Lake (while trolling off the West dam from a canoe), a private bass club lake now as of about 10 years ago located in Boulder, CO. At the time, it was a private lake for the N.B.I. company that my Uncle worked for. Damned!!!, that lake was awesome, 100+ crappie days, wild trout influx from Boulder creek running in behind it and also produced a bass over 9lbs!

Anyway, Bombers are good cranks...the pointed bills do hang up pretty easily in rocks, but overall a very durable bait that will catch their fair share of bass. Also, the flat sided models are good producers as well.

For the $$$, you could do much worse.

dhuie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dhuie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 pm

No Barra fisherman worth his salt would not have a Gold Bomber long A in his tacklebox. A must have, if not to use at least for the charm.

Cheers
"What!!??...How Much!!??...But I Only Want One!!!"

hsu.parker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hsu.parker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm a huge fan of the Fat Free Shad. Excellent running bait, and have yet to have one that requires any tuning.
M

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:08 am

all in all postive experiences, solid baits and good value

RichLindgren.com
Rich's Bassin' Blog
Bass Tackle Blog
http://RichLindgren.com

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:57 am

Flat A's are excellent lures especially in the spring. Try the Pearl shad (used to be known as a Mark Davis signature series and it caught Bass, Pike Lakers and Steelhead) as well as the Baby Bass pattern. They work for me. I used to use their jerkbaits too but truthfully I've moved on to Luckies, BPS Nitros and Pro Series and Yozuris for that duty now. Snidley

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:25 am

I heard last summer they went out of business. Were they baught out? About the topic question though, they make pretty nice crankbaits for the money. Nice action and they catch fish, bottem line.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:02 pm

I don't think Bomber (part of Pradco) is going bust anytime soon. They probably are the largest American lure maker out there with Bomber, Cotton Cordell, Abrogast, Rebel, Heddon, Yum, Riverside, Silver Thread among their brands. Snidley

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 pm

tied on a 4f "fat a"one september...didn't take it off til november...never had a 6 week timeframe where so many fish keyed on one crankbait since.

agree with the others on the 6a firetiger...a keeper in any pile of baits.

Bassonly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassonly » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:09 pm

I love to use a 6A around riprap and other structure.
BTR Custom Lures--boonepowell.com River Slung Custom Lures--riverslung.com

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:46 am

I dig the Bombers.......Fat Free Shads in 3/4, 1/4, Flat A's and 7As, even some of the old-school Bomber crawfish cranks (they do still work).

Great designs.

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:14 pm

Snidely; I believe that, strange as it may seem, Pradco actually is having some serious financial problems. Exactly the cause, or the remedy, remains to be seen. At the end of last year's season,(2006) " A reliable source" from within the tackle industry mentioned this to me. As to the veracity of the source - Never wrong!!! In over 25 years!!! The resolution may very well be similar to what happened after the OMC Johnson/Evinrude meltdown. -The products continue to be sold under their historic names but a white knight, Bombardier Recreational Products(BRP), has invested, reorganized and now owns them. Regards,- Shimanoman

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm

I sure wish Bomber would bring back this lure - especially the original wood version:

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Cal;- It would be nice to see that happen. Have you heard anything about what is going on with Pradco?? Potential Buyers?? Restructuring?? Regards,- Shimanoman