Braid/Rod action

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
mpugh77
Angler
Angler

Braid/Rod action

Post by mpugh77 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:55 pm

I would like to try braid for pitching jigs to treelaps, docks, stumps, etc. Is one rod action better than another. What about a 7' 843 Loomis blank? Is it better to go with MH versus H?

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid/Rod action

Post by tj1004 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:07 pm

I use 50Lb braid on my 7'2'' XXH for fishing in grass. I use more of a "pop" hookset rather than crossing their eyes. But overall I would say a softer rod is more ideal, it lets the braid do more of the work if that makes sense. In essense I think either use a softer rod for braid and let the line do the brunt of the work, or use a stiff rod with a mono and let the rod do the work....other opinions may vary, that just my .02

I think the 843 would be a pretty good rod for braid

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:25 pm

like he says, you want a little give, i made the mistake of using a 7'6" heavy ex-fast with braid. sure it works, but it makes you work harder than you should, and occasionally it leads to lost fish due to no give.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:38 pm

I fish braid on a Medium 7ft rod with Moderate fast action and very strong backbone and can make it fish like a MH 7ft rod of faster action using Mono. I would think the same may apply going from a MH to a H or XHeavy. With low stretch line, you simply have to move the rod less to set the hook.