gblank vs. powell or kistler

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
lunkerrr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

gblank vs. powell or kistler

Post by lunkerrr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:29 am

Was looking at an all purpose MH rod like the 683 powell or 6'9" kistler. I have heard a lot of good things about the gblanks. If I had a 6'9" MH built how would it stack up to these two rods?

Big Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: gblank vs. powell or kistler

Post by Big Red » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 am

Heck I might as well put my $.02 in and wait to get flamed :peace:

Depends on your budget but if money isn’t much of a concern; imo the Kistler would be #1, followed by the Powell and the Gblanks. Now please don't get me wrong, because I sure wouldn't toss any of those rods in the trash, but there’s a reason that Kistler is so well thought of on the various boards.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:13 am

I would also rate them this way...Kistler #1, Powell a close #2, and G-Blanks #3. I have a 6'9" MH Kistler and it's just about as versatile as a rod can be. It's a great rod. I highly recommend it.

Justin

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 am

i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the above recommendations but will say it depends on which Kistler line you're referring to... ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

lunkerrr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lunkerrr » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:05 am

sorry i was actually refering to the helium LTA

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:16 pm

i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the above recommendations but will say it depends on which Kistler line you're referring to...
Maybe Cal should run for govenor :) He can ride the fence with the best of them :)

MZSTANG95
Angler
Angler

Post by MZSTANG95 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:28 pm

I have the powell 683c, and a kistler he69apc. Two Mh rods, with just 1inch difference in length. I believe the powell is more of an all purpose rod, while the helium is definitley more sensative. While both are great for soft plastics, the powell is a little more forgiving, so I would definitely choose it over the kistler for spinnerbaits or crankbaits.

Drift
Angler
Angler

Post by Drift » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:56 am

MZSTANG95 wrote:I have the powell 683c, and a kistler he69apc. Two Mh rods, with just 1inch difference in length. I believe the powell is more of an all purpose rod, while the helium is definitley more sensative. While both are great for soft plastics, the powell is a little more forgiving, so I would definitely choose it over the kistler for spinnerbaits or crankbaits.
I don't have either now, had the Powell at one point, and for the cost the Powell was/is nice, but you are right, it's not as sensitive as the Kistler that I did compare in the store using everyone's throat! :lol:

I can see why the Kistler is more $$, lighter, more sensitive.

~Cheers

9-Ball Pro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 9-Ball Pro » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:10 am

I have a couple Kistler LTA rods and 3 G-Blanks rods (lighter than the LTA & even in weight with the LTX)............. The Kistlers are now in the closet for good.

The G-Blanks blow them away and I can afford to fish with whatever I please (and do 3-4 times a week). I would rate them about even in performance with my Loomis GLX's.

I've never used a Powell so I have no opinion on them.

(If you haven't fished with a G-Blanks your opinion = 0 on rating them)

Drift
Angler
Angler

Post by Drift » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 am

I'm considering a G-Blank from all I'm reading how they compare to the Loomis line.

~Cheers

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:58 pm

Go with the Kistler 69MH APC LTA. One of the best all purpose rods made!

hsu.parker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hsu.parker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:58 pm

I have two of the Kistler LTA 6'9's. I love these rods. I throw everything from worms/jigs, topwaters, spinnerbaits, flukes. It's just amazing rod. Good luck in your purchase.

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:51 pm

So...wassup with the Kistlers?? I don't have one but apparently there are differences between the LTAs and LTXs. Which one is better and why?? I'm a non-Kistler having dude.....most people seem to like them.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Captain Chaos wrote:So...wassup with the Kistlers?? I don't have one but apparently there are differences between the LTAs and LTXs. Which one is better and why?? I'm a non-Kistler having dude.....most people seem to like them.
LTX is Kistler's top of the line rod. The LTA is the next step down. I have never used an LTX, but I do own the 6'9" MH Kistler LTA and it is one fantastic rod. As others have said, one of the most versatile out there and very light/sensitive..

Justin

Drift
Angler
Angler

Post by Drift » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:48 am

Captain Chaos wrote:So...wassup with the Kistlers?? I don't have one but apparently there are differences between the LTAs and LTXs. Which one is better and why?? I'm a non-Kistler having dude.....most people seem to like them.
"LTX is Kistler's top of the line rod. The LTA is the next step down. I have never used an LTX, but I do own the 6'9" MH Kistler LTA and it is one fantastic rod. As others have said, one of the most versatile out there and very light/sensitive.."

I second with what frogpond11 stated. Even though I don't have a Kistler, I have handled them many times and scrutinized them closely but never bought one. They are light and sensitive, steep in cost though.

~Cheers