Who is not sold on the Revos?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Who is not sold on the Revos?

Post by ShoreBound » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:12 pm

MattyB wrote:Lighten up and watch some fishing shows until ice out!MattyB
Don't worry. This kind of discussion sometimes happen here but once everyone gets out to get a breath of fresh air, we all come back and then the exchange gets back to normal :lol:

termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by termigator » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:01 pm

mhood wrote:
termigator wrote:Wow, that's a lot of quotes there!
BTW, who's Dale Gribble?? :confused:
You don't ever watch King of the Hill? ;)
Can't say that I have. He's not on the Cartoon Network, is he? :D

LuckySamurai
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuckySamurai » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:47 pm

ShoreBound wrote:
Jon wrote:No lefty , no need to consider .

Jon .
Same here :lol: I'll take a second look at the Revo STX when they come out with a lefty.
They have a HS Lefty for JDM

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 pm

The Revos look nice but I would never buy one. The reason? I bought some high-end Abus like 10 years ago...Pro Max's, Gold Max's....these reels were up to $200 each and turned out to be total garbage. I know that was a long time ago, but I vowed to never buy another Abu again and I wont!! Just like Daiwa...I've had 3 total lemons from them very recently, and will never touch another one of their products ever again. Its hard to resist cuz some of it just looks so cool, but I'm done w/ them as well. :evil:

Paul W
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

MattyB
Angler
Angler

Post by MattyB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:22 am

fast2100 wrote:Whats "ice out"? :confused: :big grin:
A funny little thing that happens to our favorite fishing spots up here in the North country when winter comes around........the water gets HARD!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine THAT!!!!!!! Wanna go fishin'? Gotta drill a hole in that HARD water.

Ice Out is when the water gets runny again.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:45 am

Paul W wrote:The Revos look nice but I would never buy one. The reason? I bought some high-end Abus like 10 years ago...Pro Max's, Gold Max's....these reels were up to $200 each and turned out to be total garbage. I know that was a long time ago, but I vowed to never buy another Abu again and I wont!! Just like Daiwa...I've had 3 total lemons from them very recently, and will never touch another one of their products ever again. Its hard to resist cuz some of it just looks so cool, but I'm done w/ them as well. :evil:

Paul W
I hope you don't run into any trouble with Shimano and Quantum reel because you might be in trouble finding a company to use :) :lol:

Birdsnest
Angler
Angler

Post by Birdsnest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 am

I'd like to add a comment on the Revo.... I've been using one since October in the Salt. I fish at least once a week from a kayak and thus I'm pretty hard on my gear. My Revo is holding up very well. In fact, it is smoother than I expected after 5 months.

I don't have a brand affiliation with any reel manufacturer, I love Shimano's, Daiwa's, Abu. I think VFM (value for money) the Revo is a heck of a deal. If you don't like the cosmetics I understand. I actually think the black SX is pretty dang sharp though. "The Black Widow!" 8-) More importantly it casts very well, has a smooth retrieve, and a class leading drag.

As far as being Korean made....it seems like the tolerances and craftsmanship are really nice. Good job IMHO.

Abu hit some foul balls in the past with their other low profile attempts. The Revo however is a home run.

All just my opinion,

Jeff Herman
Team Ocean Kayak

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:25 am

spiroh wrote:
Paul W wrote:The Revos look nice but I would never buy one. The reason? I bought some high-end Abus like 10 years ago...Pro Max's, Gold Max's....these reels were up to $200 each and turned out to be total garbage. I know that was a long time ago, but I vowed to never buy another Abu again and I wont!! Just like Daiwa...I've had 3 total lemons from them very recently, and will never touch another one of their products ever again. Its hard to resist cuz some of it just looks so cool, but I'm done w/ them as well. :evil:

Paul W
I hope you don't run into any trouble with Shimano and Quantum reel because you might be in trouble finding a company to use :) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:31 am

Birdsnest wrote:I'd like to add a comment on the Revo.... I've been using one since October in the Salt. I fish at least once a week from a kayak and thus I'm pretty hard on my gear. My Revo is holding up very well. In fact, it is smoother than I expected after 5 months.

I don't have a brand affiliation with any reel manufacturer, I love Shimano's, Daiwa's, Abu. I think VFM (value for money) the Revo is a heck of a deal. If you don't like the cosmetics I understand. I actually think the black SX is pretty dang sharp though. "The Black Widow!" 8-) More importantly it casts very well, has a smooth retrieve, and a class leading drag.

As far as being Korean made....it seems like the tolerances and craftsmanship are really nice. Good job IMHO.

Abu hit some foul balls in the past with their other low profile attempts. The Revo however is a home run.

All just my opinion,

Jeff Herman
Team Ocean Kayak
Good stuff! Your sentiments are echoed by many. Glad to hear that it is holding up so well in saltwater, that speaks highly of the durability of these reels.

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 am

Paul W[/quote]
I hope you don't run into any trouble with Shimano and Quantum reel because you might be in trouble finding a company to use :) :lol:[/quote]

hahahha seriously! So far so good :D
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Back into the REVO subject, I´m not sold on them, after being crashed and burned in a couple of ocassions with Abu´s low profiles post the XLT line of baitcasters I´m skeptical .... I´ll sit down and wait patiently for a couple of years of you guys beating the crap out of them and seeing how fast they tear to pieces, then I will decide if my 200 bucks are safe if I ever purchase one.

senna
Angler
Angler

Post by senna » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:37 pm

I have not used one in the field yet, after fooling around with one in my store, I would have to say they sure feel nice, but I do agree, they will have to stand the test of time, which is the true mark of a quality reel.

promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by promax » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:11 pm

senna wrote:I have not used one in the field yet, after fooling around with one in my store, I would have to say they sure feel nice, but I do agree, they will have to stand the test of time, which is the true mark of a quality reel.
Well garcia has stood the test of time with the c3,s the most popular reel in reel history im still thinking if the revo can do what the c3,s have done to history the c3 will actully become history the revo will take over the c3 and c4 4600 size?!!!

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:44 pm

after hearing so much about these revos, finally got my hands on one at the bass pro in pearl...was surprised at how small they really are...some numbnut in usa marketing must think we like ALL things big.

first impression without having one moment of t.o.w. with it, it kinda reminded me of the old lew's...a reel you could throw in the back of any pickup for months on end, fishing any hole you came to...whether it (or any other reel made nowadays) can or not, of course, remains to be seen.

kinda ironic, in a way...always wondered why they didn't take a ballpeen hammer to some of those old c3's and make an lp out of 'em.

Simonker
Angler
Angler

Post by Simonker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:08 pm

My brother and I are both considering purchasing the revo stx. We fish for both Muskie and Bass. All our muskie reels are abu's and they have held up very nicely over the years. Musky fight hard and the baits are big, but the abu's are up to the task.