Brands of tungsten, is there a difference?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Brands of tungsten, is there a difference?

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi all,

When tungsten bullet weights really got big, I told myself "no way am I gonna spend this much on weights." But alas, after all of the fantastic feedback, I simply must purchase some before Spring.

I have heard that cheaper brands have a tendency to cut your line, any truth to this? Is this from little chips breaking off and creating a sharp edge? Any other cons besides the price?

With so may brands (Penetrater, Tru-Tungsten, XPS, X-Caliber), are there any ya'll would recommend? More importantly, any to steer-clear of?

Also, do you try to match the color of your weight to the plastic, or do you like to mix it up? Any colors more productive than others?

Thanks much,

Shaun

babfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Brands of tungsten, is there a difference?

Post by babfish » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:33 am

Good question, I am curious of this also. I have been using Excaliber and they have been good but don't like the shape.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:16 am

I like to find ones with the lil insert in them...that doesnt slip out! Ive been using Tru-tungsten and Excaliber(since they first came out) and I have not noticed anything different about them other than shape and some are now coming powder coated with color matching for plastics. They all seem to be about the same price. :lol: 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:34 am

I've got the 1/4oz. XCalibur tungsten and they're cone shaped with no ridge. They also have an insert in the middle. What's the shape some are referring to that they don't like? :?

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:26 am

I'm using the Tru-Tungsten...seem to work great...I usually don't reuse the older lead/steal weights...but these I do...it makes them more economical...as long as you don't loose one on a line breakage or something.

Bryfmd

gunfish
Angler
Angler

Post by gunfish » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:45 pm

I really like the tru tungsten with the powder coat paint on them. I like how they match my plastics and I think they don't spook weary fish as much as the bare tungsten finish.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:16 pm

Thnx for the info all. I think I'll give Tru-Tungsten a shot.... The paint looks like it'll hold up well. XPS seems to be the most economical, giving around one extra weight (quantity) when compared to Tru and X-caliber.

Up until 3/8 Tru and X are identical in cost and quantity; at that point X-caliber jumps up fifty cents. Although when you get to the heavier worm weights, 3/4 and 1oz., X-caliber is considerably less expensive.

Thanks much,

Shaun

jonnylee82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonnylee82 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:50 pm

Some of the cheap ones do cut line because of sharp edges or the inserts. Tru Tungsten doesn't use an insert on their weights. This increases sensitivity and saves the line from accidental breakage.

I don't know if that little bit of sensitivity makes that much of a difference, but every little bit helps. :)

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:12 am

From my experience, Tru-Tungsten is the way to go.
1. They are the highest density, which makes them a smidge smaller then some of the others and possiby a little more sensitive
2. Great colors, which is really niceand durable finsihes
3. No inserts, which is great, because most of the ones I used with inserts fall out after awhile and then they are junk, then you have an expensive weight you cannot use. Plus if you ever want to use on of the rubber nails, its a lot easier without the insert.
4. Tru-Tungsten makes great accesories that work as a system with their weights, like the Force Beads & Smart Pegs :)

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:40 am

Yes...the smart pegs are a nice addition...I've used them and and really like them..

Bryfmd

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Anyone know whether or not the Kanji Bullet Weights have inserts?

meumpactumdictum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meumpactumdictum » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Does anyone see a trend with using non-lead weights. There's a bills out in CA and probably the rest of the country concerning hunting with non-lead ammo. I have a feeling this will eventually trickle down to the fishing community with alleged environmental impacts. Does anyone fish in a body of water where it's required to use non lead weights? I would assume FW reservoir are probably going to be impacted first. Bans on certain 2-stroke and the use of non MTBE fuels are already in place. I try to use weights that are powder coated or chrome plated because I hate getting lead on my hands/fingers as I'm always smoking or munching on something while fishing.

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:25 am

I just read in my FLW magazine that Vermont has just passed legislation that bans all 1/2oz lead sinkers and weights, not including jigs, spinnerbaits & such.

MN has legislation being proposed that is very similar, but it currently does not exclude jigs and such, fishing would get a lot more expensive in MN and put a lot of small tackle companies out of business.

RichLindgren.com
Rich's Bassin' Blog
Bass Tackle Blog
http://RichLindgren.com