G loomis technology

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

G loomis technology

Post by avid » Wed May 09, 2007 7:40 pm

I've read here about Loomis rod building technology being "dated"
I know that split grips are all the rage, but I'm guessing there is more to the argument than that.
Can someone kindly enlighten me?
I'm also fond of St. Croix rods. Any opinion on their technology?
PS. I'm talking about the GLX's and Legend Elites.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G loomis technology

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:47 pm

So far as blank scrim, weight, resin, taper, strength, sensitivity, durability (per modulus rating to be fair) and WARRANTY...

The GLX and LE are still among the best available in all of the natural free world...IMO.

Just missing the factory bling, handle designs, components, different taper designs and more work with boron, titanium, other materials in their blanks.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Wed May 09, 2007 8:28 pm

Prefix this with "advertising"... Loomis "advertises" that the GLX blend is the only blend that is "specifically" formulated for fisihing rods... whereas the IMX and "other" blends are used in other application... i.e. golf club shafts. Not to say that an IMX or a St Croix Legend isn't a fantastic "bang for the buck" (I personally like the SV Avid and the GL IMX)... just that the Legend Elite and the GLX are the best that American technology has to offer in a "factory" rolled rod.

As always, JMHO... Gadget

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu May 10, 2007 4:26 am

Why I consider Loomis technology dated is they haven't introduced anything new and revolutionary in quite some time. Not that their technology is bad or inferior to others, they just haven't put themselves way ahead of the pack again. There was a day when Loomis was THE rod company for cutting edge materials and design.

Since the Shimano buy out their focus has been on main stream mass market rods. Get more rods out there using the same technology. Sure they get repackaged with different handle styles and Recoil guides, but its all the same stuff.

Loomis isn't the innovator they used to be.

Personally, I think St. Croix is the leader here in the US today. When I was at the facility I was there with a guy that had just been to Loomis and Lamiglas. His comments were that St. Croix had a distinct separation from the two in terms of newer and more advanced equipment, process control, etc.

Maybe fishing rods can't move forward any more??? Maybe we've reached the pinnacle???

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:32 am

I don't buy the out dated/lack of technology argument. The legend elites just came out with the new SCV blank a couple of years ago and their components are top notch. They use titanium framed SiC guides, custom painted reel seats (which are not cheap), and the have a silver winding check on the top foregrip. The loomis BCR is pretty up to date as well. The graphite in those rods is unreal and they use recoil guides. A lot of people don't like the looks of the recoils, but you can't argure their effectiveness when fishing plastics (which is what the bcr's are designed to do). Not to mention I love my MBR GLX loomis rods. I know they have been around awhile, but they are still some of the best I have used to date.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu May 10, 2007 7:56 am

I would add Talon and their Professional series.
Most advanced american company for today.
I'm talking here only about blanks.

IMO high-end company always makes better product overall in any area.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:14 am

Redfisher18 wrote:I don't buy the out dated/lack of technology argument. The legend elites just came out with the new SCV blank a couple of years ago and their components are top notch. They use titanium framed SiC guides, custom painted reel seats (which are not cheap), and the have a silver winding check on the top foregrip. The loomis BCR is pretty up to date as well. The graphite in those rods is unreal and they use recoil guides. A lot of people don't like the looks of the recoils, but you can't argure their effectiveness when fishing plastics (which is what the bcr's are designed to do). Not to mention I love my MBR GLX loomis rods. I know they have been around awhile, but they are still some of the best I have used to date.
I agree with this statement completely..

Justin

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 am

I'm with Mattman all the way with this one. Loomis is Shimano. At one time, when I was a Loomisoid, they were light years ahead of EVERYBODY. When Shimano bought them up the good guys left and we all feared they would go mainstream and that's just what they did in fact do. They are still good rods BUT there's better/more advanced out there and for considerably less money. To illustrate they used to be a Ferrari now they are a mustang. I almost said Corvette but in truth Corvette's of very recent vintage have turned out to be top performers that not only look good but offer spectacular perfomance for a reasonable investment (as far a high performance cars are concerned). This must mean that GM's management wasn't looking or they plan to dump Corvette because the rest of their cars are poop. Snidley

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Thu May 10, 2007 8:22 am

Snidley wrote:I'm with Mattman all the way with this one. Loomis is Shimano. At one time, when I was a Loomisoid, they were light years ahead of EVERYBODY. When Shimano bought them up the good guys left and we all feared they would go mainstream and that's just what they did in fact do. They are still good rods BUT there's better/more advanced out there and for considerably less money. To illustrate they used to be a Ferrari now they are a mustang. I almost said Corvette but in truth Corvette's of very recent vintage have turned out to be top performers that not only look good but offer spectacular perfomance for a reasonable investment (as far a high performance cars are concerned). This must mean that GM's management wasn't looking or they plan to dump Corvette because the rest of their cars are poop. Snidley
If Loomis' technology is so old and outdated why is it still considered the top blank to use for custom rods? Obviously, what they've created in the past still seems to be superior to current blanks available. I also enjoy using my SCIV Croix custom rod and I hear great things about the SCV blank.

EX
Angler
Angler

Post by EX » Thu May 10, 2007 8:38 am

can anyone share which blank available in the market now is more advanced than GLX and IMX ??

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Redfisher18 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:45 am

can anyone share which blank available in the market now is more advanced than GLX and IMX ??

I don't know what is technically more advanced. All I know is that I have a lot of rods (LE's, GLX, Kistler, Megabass, & others) and the LE's and GLX are two of the best I have ever fished. It sounds like the legend elite SCV might have a technical edge according to Mattman who knows a whole lot more about that stuff than most of us here. You can't go wrong with SCV or GLX.
Last edited by Redfisher18 on Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu May 10, 2007 8:51 am

I don't think anyone is saying that Loomis doesn't make great rods. But regardless of how good they are, if not much has changed in the manufacturing and production of them over a long period of time, then they are outdated.

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 am

If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it! ;)

They did totally redesign the GLX's for the BCR series with a much faster taper. Those BCR series are the best, most sensitive rods for their intended purpose (jigs and soft plastics). Yeah, those recoil guides my be different looking, but for fishing plastics where 'feel' is paramount, they are the best for that application. I wouldn't go using them to fish crankbaits or spinnerbaits, but that wasn't what they were designed to do.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Thu May 10, 2007 10:46 am

bassbandit wrote:I don't think anyone is saying that Loomis doesn't make great rods. But regardless of how good they are, if not much has changed in the manufacturing and production of them over a long period of time, then they are outdated.
Bassbandit.
Don't take this the wrong way, but that doesn't make any sense. As Bass pro said "if it aint broke don't fix it". Proven technology is what it is regardless of age.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu May 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Just chiming in here.

I do agree that Loomis tech is dated, but that really doesnt equate to inferior. i.e. The atom bomb is as deadly today as it was 50 yrs ago.

What is new technology anyways. I'm not sure but recoil guides have been around for a while, or the concept of it at least, just not marketed, Same as the "Spiral wrap". I believe its a marketing decision for Loomis to stick with what they have since there do have a niche in the market. Its still a business and always will be.

Custom Rod builders have the luxury of choosing blanks that are available out there, but I cant see them keeping up with the volume of Loomis and retain their edge. Last custom stick I got took 2 months..

As for looks, i.e. split grips, painted reel seats, Some can look at it as innovation but I dont. they sure are pretty and I personally like them, but If I was to market a rod to thousands maybe millions, I too would stick with more conventional designs.

In closing. If G loomis came out with a rod that looks like a (insert JDM manufacturer here) Would we still call it a Loomis?? They have made an identity for themselves and now they are riding that.