Banjo lures

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
klamoth
Angler
Angler

Banjo lures

Post by klamoth » Mon May 21, 2007 2:53 pm

Has anyone on this forum tried the Banjo lures advertised on TV. Just wondering. My bait box is already overflowing.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Banjo lures

Post by raul » Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 pm

There are hundreds of baits that will catch fish, none of them is magical. Will you catch fish with a banjo lure ? oh yeah you will, heck I´ve even caught fish with the helicopter lure kit my now wife gave me for Xmas when we were dating. In other words, learn to catch fish with what you´ve got, 99% of the times catching fish is done whith what you have between your ears.

mktrout
Angler
Angler

Post by mktrout » Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm

use two for dueling banjos

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Mon May 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Yes, I used them. Yes, they caught fish. All they did though was make we learn to throw a fluke because that's basically all it is. An expensive version of a fluke. All the little pieces get lost and there was no place to buy new bodies or screw locks or any of the other tricked up pieces for them. If you want to make the same bait, here's how I did it initially.

Supplies
1. Pack of hitch hiker trailer holder
2. Pack of 1/0 octopus hooks
3. Bag of orthodonists rubber bands
4. Pack of Finesse Fish or other soft plastic jerk bait of your choosing.

Screw the hitch hiker into the head of of the bait. Take a piece of mono, run it through the hook eye and loop through the rubber band. Run the line back through the hook eye and use this to pull the rubber band through the hook eye, take one loop from the rubber band and pass it through the other so it cynches down tight. Slide the hitch hiker onto your hook, then pull the rubber band back and catch it under the barb of the hook.

If you want to save the steps with the rubber band, use some of the Gamakatsu weedless finesse hooks.

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Mon May 21, 2007 7:07 pm

klamoth;-Yes, the Banjo Minnow system DOES catch fish- and in my opinion,-in some cases and situations better than anything else I've had in my tackle. The system is elegant in its simplicity. Mr Hochmeyer, the guide who developed, and marketed the kit, did a wonderful job. Of course, you can, as JIG says make up your own following his instructions. Regards;- Shimanoman

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:48 pm

Banjos...

Hey if you wait long enough...

Roland will include a Spider Cast reel, some Helicopter lures, a Wave Cast or two, a pocket fisherman and a signed patch!

ALL IN JUST 4 EASY PAYMENTS OF $49.99!!

Hurry now, and get yours today before supplies run out!!

:roll:

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Mon May 21, 2007 7:55 pm

Dragon 1; I don't think that I would put the Banjo in the same box with a Helicopter Lure or Mr Martin. The Banjo actually works!! Regards;- Shimanoman

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:46 pm

I believe the Helicopter Lure caught a 17lb bass in Bacarrac/El Salto/Comedero?

Anyway, it CAN work. Matter of fact, story of one of the classic wooden minnows was the creator was whittling a piece of wood by a creek/river and threw it into the water. Well, a big 'ole bass inhaled it! Come the birth of the minnowbait.

Matter of fact, I was speaking with a DWF agent up in Hygiene a couple of years ago and he said that saw the biggest bass of his life in one of the ponds that opened up in that area. He said it must have been pushing 8lb+, which is a true Colorado Hawg! Anyway, the fish appeared suddenly to engulf a piece of chicken bone/rib that his buddy had just thrown into the water! ;)

The Banjo lure is a modified fluke....a lure proven to work well before the Banjo lure came out, or even a trick worm with a split tail. The rigging is what differentiates it.

BTW...I was just having some fun :P So don't you go and get all Cereal on me, OTAY?

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Tue May 22, 2007 4:36 am

The Slug-Go has been out since the early 80's........somebody decided to stick a hook in the nose and market the bait differently. ;) So, yes, I'm sure it would work - - as this lure design has been catching fish for over 20 years.

Anybody else remember those videos of Doug Hannon showing 10 lb. bass attacking beer cans that he threw in the water? :lol:

Patches
Angler
Angler

Post by Patches » Tue May 22, 2007 11:58 am

I've been using the Banjo Frogs for 6+ years and they are killer for topwater bass or pike in the lillie pads. Lots of fun to watch a fish explode at a lure. Never really tried the minnows (too much stuff that already works).
If every hour spent fishing adds an hour to your life, I'm going to live forever!
http://www.BlueWaterBridge.com

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 pm

i've caught a lot of fish with banjo minnows and we used to use the helicopter in one lake we fished and just nail em on them back in the shallows pre and post spawn threw weeds then the lake had an odd fish kill it's never recovered and haven't caught a fish on the helicopter since

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm

I had a Banjo Minnow boxset given to me. They work but are nothing special. I prefer the good ol' fluke.

SouthFLAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by SouthFLAngler » Wed May 23, 2007 6:30 pm

How about the Flying lure?

eric_m
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eric_m » Wed May 23, 2007 6:31 pm

i bought some at kmart like 10 years ago
i never got anything with them, but 1 of my friends cought a few catfish and other stuff when i wasnt around.

i nearly got a big catfish, it was following my lure and when it got to shallow water i guess it saw me. was about 5 feet away and it just turned its body around and went back into the deep. :shock: head must of been eight inches wide

same deal with a large trout, i could see it follow the thing but it never hit it. :roll:

i still have em today but i just dont bother with em. they are too small and stiff and have very little action. thats just how they were when i first got em.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu May 24, 2007 9:10 am

SouthFLAngler wrote:How about the Flying lure?
You can make yourself a flying lure with a pack of Ikas or Fat Ikas or Sweet Beavers, some hooks and some nail weights. Rig them weedless with an EWG by inserting the hook on the hairy side in the case of ikas or between the flaps in the case of beavers, insert a nail weight on the tail side and voilá, flying lure at one 10th of the cost, and they are 20 times more effective than a flying lure.