My intro & Looking for good all purpose baitcast setup.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
CDN_Crankbaiter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

My intro & Looking for good all purpose baitcast setup.

Post by CDN_Crankbaiter » Thu May 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Afternoon,

The name is Jay, 31 from Brampton, Ontario Canada - 20 minutes outside of Toronto. 1st year Carpenter by trade. Love my fishing, and try to get out when I have a spare hour or so - have my father to thank for the intro to this favorite past time. Even if I don't catch anything, it's the getting out part that matters most IMO. Practices C&R only - let em get bigger have more fish!

Favorite Lure: Crankbait (Rapala DT-6 series in Red Craw / Firetiger).

Favorite Cover: Lily pads are my favorite cover to fish w/ a 5" Senko (222 color).

Finally decided to take the plunge and register with the forum. Been a TT review reader since about 2001, and have used the forum as a reliable source for helping to improve my fishing tactics, and expanding my knowledge for the past year. Seems like a great group of members here! Hopefully I can chime in and offer some help to others.

Lastly, I'm thinking of putting together a baitcast rod/reel combo for Bass/Pike that would allow me to fish a wide range of lures. My go to lures are crankbaits med, shallow running, and soft plastics like the Senko. I'd like to branch out and try gaining confidence in pitching jigs w/trailers, and spinner baits this year - these are my least favorite lures to use.

I've been looking at a St. Croix ACMHF 6'6" rod, and Shimano Chronarch 101B reel. Maybe w/ 12lb SpiderWire XXX Super Mono?

Thanks ahead of time.

CDN_Crankbaiter

Redfisher18
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: My intro & Looking for good all purpose baitcast set

Post by Redfisher18 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Welcome. That would be a good combo for the techniques you mentioned. You may also want to take a look at the Kistler LTA 6'9" APC and Loomis MBR 783C.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:36 pm

6'9" APC MH Kistler Helium or 683c/703c Dobyns for the rod...

Metanium Mg7 or Metanium XT for the reel...

some of the best all purpose gear I know of...

Justin

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu May 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Howdy and welcome. You chose the 'right' color for your Senkos ;) !

I'd recommend a 7' Medium or Medium Heavy Kistler LTA Helium for an all-round rod. If you're on a tight budget, then a Shimano Curado would work nicely. For a little more money and less weight, get a Daiwa TD-X or Z.

Kistler's site

Dan

fishing 247
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishing 247 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:01 pm

The Kistler LTA is a good choice. Lots of guys here seem to like them. If you want to save a few dollars and get a rod that is just as nice then the Mag TS series in a 6'9'' length would be a really nice option. Just get whatever reel you feel comfortable with.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 pm

Welcome from Texas! I'll tell you now that need to hide your wallet from yourself. The influences you may get here can make you accidentally spend alot of cheese on stuff you don't need....but you REALLY want. lol. Sounds like you have a nice setup in mind. You may want to look at other line options. I used some of the Spiderwire XXX a couple of years ago and it was not at all abrasion resistant. It may be better now, but that was my experience.

RonH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RonH » Fri May 25, 2007 4:06 am

The setup you are looking at is very nice. I'd also look at that Avid rod in the medium power AC66MF as perhaps being more versatile. Also, I'd recommend a medium action rod for treble hook lures at some point. I use a Loomis CBR783 and I don't lose as many fish as I used to.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 am

Welcome and I second the Senko color.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

John Gaustad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John Gaustad » Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 am

Welcome! The set-up you mention is very similar to the one I use and I'm very pleased with it. There is so much good equipment out there...rods, reels, line that it's hard to make a "mistake"... so good luck and no matter what you use, if your catching fish and having fun, that's what counts.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Fri May 25, 2007 6:27 am

You guys got searching the web to look up the '222' senko color :lol:

CDN_Crankbaiter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CDN_Crankbaiter » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am

Thanks for all the hospitable greetings and help guys. Unfortunately, when I visited my go to local tackle shop this morning, he informed me he doesn't carry Kistler rods - sorry guys! ;) I wish he had, after getting so many suggestions for that manufacturer. Although, he does carry a wicked selection of St. Croix, and I've been more than happy with my Avid Musky setup that he helped me put together a couple years back. So I thought I'd give them a try with a Bass and Pike setup.

I ended up with the setup I had in mind, and at a half decent price, plus a Team St. Croix hat that he threw in. That being the St. Croix AC66MHF, and Shimano Chronarch 101B. Got the 12lb XXX Super Mono as well - will keep my eye on the abrasion resistance in question with this brand as 'dustlane' mentioned.

Since I prefer fishing mostly pads, would going with a quality braid like Sufix or PP be a good move? Especially if I'm going to give jigs a go this season? That will limit my use of topwaters such as Zara Spooks, or Hula Poppers won't it?

Should be able to get out to try the new rig this weekend - hopefully with pics to follow! :D

And yes - 222 is the way to go!!! ;)

Regards

CDN_Crankbaiter

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 am

CDN, personally I think braid is a great option. Over the years I am finding more and more techniques that braid is better-at least for me. It can be tough to go from the no-stretch braid to the elasticity of mono. So be prepared when you go from jigging with braid to topwater with mono. It will feel like you went from using rope to a rubber band for a while. Power Pro is great. I, personally like the Tuf Line XP. The moss green color seems blend in better down here. Again, this is all IMO. Find what works for you and enjoy. It may take some trial and error to find exactly what you are looking for.

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 am

[quote="dustlane"] The influences you may get here can make you accidentally spend alot of cheese on stuff you don't need....but you REALLY want. lol. quote]

This is so accurate.

Since I have been frequenting this forum, I have bought a Powell rod, a Steez & an advantage reel. Now I'm looking for a TD-Z

CT

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Fri May 25, 2007 11:20 am

But you are waaaay happier fishing guy right now too........good equipment = better time on the water = life is better.

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am

Congrats Jay, and welcome to TT. Nice set up!!! For sure, let us know how you make out.

DaleO