Gamma High-Performance Copolymer Line

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Gamma High-Performance Copolymer Line

Post by GAMEOVER » Tue May 29, 2007 1:39 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:Gameover...I have been using Gamma Co-Polymer for about a year. I hung a DD-22 on 10 lb. and finally had to cut it cause I couldn't break it!
Thats pretty insane.. :lol:

I will say that Gamma eventually kinks and will cause backlash problems. I don't seem to respool as often with Gamma, compared to McCoy Mean Green. Guess you get what you pay for!
Eventually as in how long? I think I heard with copolys you can just tug on the line to straighten out any kinks it may form. I could be wrong or thinking of something else though. As long as it can last a full two months while using it about four times a week before anything like that shows up itll be a keeper line for me. The toughness is a good thing though because you can get away with lower lb test on an already low-visable line. I wonder if theres a way I can test the actual breaking strength of this line on my own. I have the 8# Ultra Clear spooled wish they sold the moss green color Gamm around me as thats my fav color in a line. I wonder, does that green make it more visable then the clear?

In the spirit of ecumenism I also have some P Line 10 lb. Xtra Strong (co-poly) spooled on a Curado 100 D for my crankin' rod.

How would you compare this Gamma to it in all categorys (stretch, strength, memory, etc)

"so many lines, so little time"
Isnt that the truth. :lol:

tournament
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Giving Copoly line another shot (sigh)

Post by tournament » Tue May 29, 2007 8:39 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys.

Does GAMMAs copoly line have fluorocarbon coating? Their website doesnt say didly about it really.

Also, I cant believe how strong some of you guys are sayin these low # copolys are. I wonder if I am over doing it with 8# Gamma on my Zillion? If it isnt obvious already I do not know copolymer line.

DP-messnger was down today for me ill hit you up tomorrow buddy.
just reading through the posts here, and im not sure if your question has been answered yet. but my dad and i both bought some gamma copolymer, i got 17#, he got 10#. we were fishing around some pecan trees, we were both geting some hang ups, but he lost 5 hooks, i lost none. that was about 3weeks ago, my line was running over trees, rocks, and weeds, and it is still going strong. not sure if that helps, but there it is.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed May 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Had my first experience with Gama copoly today and came back very impressed. I had 8lb on 1/8oz finesse jig and 14lb on 1/4oz jigs pitching and skipping under docks. No breaks, no fish lost and only one retie on the 8lb. Was actually more impressed with the 8lb on my spinning as my jig setup is know for causing serious line twist, knots and loops and not once did I have to drag my line behind the boat to get all the twist and curls out.

Two early thumbs up here.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed May 30, 2007 4:02 pm

How long has Gamma line been on the market? I get this "new-product" feeling with it but read they been in the line manufacturing business for 25 years I think.

Is it true a chemist altered these lines?

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Gamma has been around for as long as I can remember. I'm really into racquetball, and they have been making tennis and racquetball strings for a long time.
Last edited by jholton on Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:52 pm

Gamma line was launched about 2-3 years ago. They have a long history in the tennis string industry. The Edge pure FC product they make is on several of my rods and I like it better then any other FC I've used.

But I'm not sure you should trust me because the hybrid you said not to mention is on all my other reels and works well :lol:

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm

DavidSA wrote:Gamma line was launched about 2-3 years ago. They have a long history in the tennis string industry. The Edge pure FC product they make is on several of my rods and I like it better then any other FC I've used.

But I'm not sure you should trust me because the hybrid you said not to mention is on all my other reels and works well :lol:
I cant stand YoZuri Hybrid, I love the X-Tex but the Hybrid, no way! Kink hell.. I to liked the Gamma FC I had but its very pricey. For the money their Copoly is very very good. I just baught yet another spool it seems to be very popular here in my area but I know of no one who fishes it around here but me. I seen one spool of 10# left and baught it even though I didnt want to buy line originally I didnt want to be without it.

jkspider
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkspider » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:58 pm

What advantages are there for Gamma copoly vs using mono Trilene XL. I know it is stronger. How about the memory etc???
John

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:07 am

John-

Don't know about he Gamma product specifically. Advantages of PLine or Yozuri is strenght to diameter. That said, I have not used or tested XL in over 4 years and it could have improved.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:09 am

John- should have added that you have to be careful about claimed rating on the package. Yozuri Hybrid in 15# is a 25lb test line. People spool up the 15# and say it is kinky and it is a bit but no worse then any other 25lb line I've spooled. 10# yozuri breaks at 15lbs of weight.